Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

Many here can't seem to understand that EVs don't need to be impediments to driving cross country.  Very few people won't want to stop periodically to eat and use a bathroom.  Here is a perfect example of what a trip in a Tesla is like.

https://electrek.co/2019/07/09/tesla-model-3-is-the-best-road-trip-car-10-hours-of-driving-on-autopilot-and-0-hours-waiting-for-charging/

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

Ah, the road-trip. very old-timey hobby.

I assume most other American drivers are on the road with the same other
  drivers I see out on the road I don't understand actually _wanting_ to
do this activity, like, recreationally. The Amtrak Acela between the
outskirts of Boston and Providence takes 19 minutes and $40 one-way
worth every penny IMO

Autopilot would make road tripping somewhat more pleasant for sure, I
guess there are people who look forward to doing ~40 hours of manual
driving and sleeping over in truck-stop Motel 6es in Nebraska but I'm
definitely not the type at this point in my life. even if the Motel 6
has a fast charger.

Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

You are such a trip.  You sing the praise of your HV which as it's only alleged advantage is the ability to go long distances without refueling.  Then you dis the entire idea of actually driving on long trips.  lol

Not sure where you got the 40 hour number.  What is that, a cross country trip?  Bjorn recently set a record driving s Tesla some 1,800 miles in 24 hours including charging, etc.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

Volt is the closest thing to the 21st century car that I actually want -
an electric performance sedan or coupe with zippy performance but
doesn't need to be blistering fast, lighter weight than the Volt or
model 3 (they're pushing 3000 lbs, ugh) maybe 100 mile range, fast
charge, and if it does have a range extender a smaller one that weighs
less like a three cylinder or something. And like mid 20s on the price.

Oh and doesn't look really ugly. The Model 3 is not an aggressively
unattractive car in the way a Prius or Nissan Leaf or BMW i3 or...insert
many other electric and hybrid vehicles.

Like a 21st century Miata or MG. It doesn't exist, yet. Maybe someday.
In the mean time I've saved a lot of money on gas regardless...

Were we talking cross country like across the country or cross-country
like cross-country skiing

Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

Tesla enthusiasts see this sort of thing as an adventure.

The Tesla charging station in Truckee usually has zero cars charging,
but once in a great while has a bunch of them. I guess they travel in
convoys.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7i8ufcz1mq6fuuo/Tesla_1.jpg?raw=1

Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

Isn't that the same instant in time you have posted so many times before?

Seems like there are a growing number of Tesla enthusiasts.  They added about 95,000 just this past quarter.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

I don't dislike driving in the abstract, driving can be really fun,
particularly in an electric-powered car!

I just don't much enjoy sitting in traffic in the freezing cold or 90
degree heat depending as it goes here in New England, or doing it for
many many hours at a time. or both.

Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

The AC not good in the Bolt ??

Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

Volt, not Bolt, that's a different car...anyway the AC unit doesn't seem
any better or worse than other modern sedans. The electric heater in
winter is a much bigger drain on the battery than the AC unit, the AC
draws about 500 watts when on "eco" to maintain temp and about 2kW when
running flat out to cool the cabin down quickly when e.g. it's been
sitting in the sun a while.

In the summer though there always seem to be three times as many cars on
the road at all times, there's much more traffic, and the Boston drivers
seem to be three times as aggressive and pissed-off than usual.

MA is in theory one of the safer states vis a vis traffic fatalities and
injuries statistics to drive in but one of the worst when it comes to
just sheer number of accidents and fender-bender insurance payouts and
general whack-offery.

The old saw is "Massachusetts drivers drive like they want to kill
_you_, Rhode Island drivers drive like they want to kill _themselves_"

Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

  No...  That is a dude!

Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

Dude....where's my car?

Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

  Mayhem took it as bBolt said...

  WHAT!!!

  W H A T ! ! !

  W W H H A A T T !!!!!!

Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

And sometimes you just want to get there.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

I don't really know anyone in the 30-early 40s demographic that takes
long road trips regularly, we're mostly too busy with families, wives
and/or girlfriends, toddlers and/or young children, elderly parents,
working 40-60 hours a week, etc.

Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips
@fx45.iad:

 I drove my '70 Monte Carlo from Cincinnati to Hackensack about 6 times
a year to see mine. 645 miles one way...  about eight hrs with me doing
it.

  I made the normally 17mpg car get over 24 mpg on the run by cresting
the hills in PA (they call 'em mountains for some reason)at 90MPH, and
turning off the car and coasting down and most of the way up the next
hill before I fired it back up again (at early hours of the morn).

Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

New England has probably the most available single young women of any
area of the country, outside NYC or Los Angeles, say - it would have to
be a pretty special lady I would drive more than 50 miles to see regularly.

Cincinnati...well..I can understand...

Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

Could be worse. Could be Utah. 50% chance she's heard of what sex is.
50% chance you have to marry her first if she has.

Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

  I lived in NJ and moved back to Cinti. in '87 to care for my mom,
since my aunt and cousin were just murdered.

  So, it was a matter of needing to be with her, but no longer living
there.

  Driving is great.

  I saw 'wondrous' 'American' things like NJ State police (major PIG
mentality assholes every one) that pull you over due to social stigma
(long hair) then force you to look out off the side of the road while
he and an unmarked, plainclothes asshole who stopped later search
your car.  Then force you to sign a permission to search form under
threat of a three day arrest and more thorough and damaging search.

  I saw cool things like the Delaware Water Gap.

Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 2:43:36 AM UTC-4, DecadentLinux...@decadence

I was looking at the Harpers Ferry gap along the Potomac one day and realiz
e the river could not have cut it's way through the ridge unless the ridge
rose up through the river.  So the river was there first and as the ridge r
ose it cut the gap like a band saw.

I looked it up and that is what the geologist say in not so clear terms.  S
ame for the Delaware gap.

--

  Rick C.

  -+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

That's what 'water gap' means to a geologist, IIRC.  John McPhee's books
about geology are highly recommended.    My favourites of his are "Basin
and Range" and "Irons In The Fire" (which is mostly about ranching and
cattle rustling in Nevada).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--