electric meters

how do u slow down an electric meter?

Reply to
oscar-t.1

Use less electricity

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

If you have a moving disk meter, a pair of very strong magnets on the outside will slow it. It probably works by unbalancing the disc and causing the bearings to drag. Slows it 25-50% and will stop it if the drain is low like one or two amps.

It is illegal and easy to spot. Enough people have done it that the power companies are wise to it and may have spot inspections.

You'd have to do it for years to save more money than the fine would cost you if you are caught.

If caught the power company may do nothing - since they would likely need to catch you putting it on or removing it from the meter for it to stick in court. Technically you may argue that you aren't tampering with the meter - just the fields around it.

They may do nothing at all if they catch you or just tell you that you'd better remove it.

Do you feel lucky? Well do you?

Newsgroups
default

I believe that's "Well, do you *punk*?" (c;

FBt

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester

Yeah, well . . . he might take it personally.

default

Yep. This is THE answer. I changed from Edison 19th century light bulbs in my house to curly cue Tesla 19th century florescent bulbs and my electric meter slowed on average to HALF SPEED!

Reply to
Benj

Just think of what would happen if you switched to 21st century LED lighting.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
unclemon

It'd speed up again. LEDs can't match the efficiency of good quality straight fluorescent tubes yet.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Not true. I am in the business and i do know. LED lamps use about 1/3 the energy of what a CFL does. See my reply to the donkey.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

How many lumens per watt can you get? I am talking about general white light illumination, not traffic lights where it is obvious that filtering white light to get green light is not very efficient, and a LED would be a good solution.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

You are off by roughly 6:1. Google it.