electric meters

how do u slow down an electric meter?

Reply to
oscar-t.1

First, lern two spel. Second, turn the air conditioner off. Third, don't know if this still works but a degaussing coil would throw the meter out of calibration. The only problem is that every pass of the coil will either slow the meter down or speed it up. My source? A power company engineer. You could look at power factor correction but how elaborate would you want to get?

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
unclemon

snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com wrote in news:1184579524.649930.318750@

57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

u use less 'lectric stuffs...

me

If you degauss the retarding magnet, the disc will speed up, and your electric bill will go up a lot. If you degauss the magnetic bearings (if it has them!) you might increase friction a bit and reduce low-power registration, but probably not much.

But I'm thinking that it would be very difficult to degauss anything from outside the case.

Perhaps you could circulate a lot of DC current in the load loop, but I don't know if the additional damping would be worth the power it takes.

John

Use a hammer.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

You mean to say: "How do I slow down an electric meter?" I suspect most of us make enough money to pay the electric bill.

-mpm

If you're running high current, 3-phase, you can often pay (much) less by balancing each phase for lowest overall reactive current. I suspect this is not your situation.

Keep the hospital number handy.

Reply to
mpm

From a early 20th century Dutch courtcase: drill a small hole in the case und use a horsehair to slow down the disc.

It was a landmark case, as the high court judged that although electricity is not a tangible 'good', tampering with the meter is still theft, as the powercompany has to make costs to generate electricity.

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

I think electrical power could be deemed a "good", since power is "almost" tangible - theoretically, by e = m * c^2, you could buy it by the pound, albeit a pound of energy at that rate would be pretty cheap. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Take speed

Reply to
Anti-Spam

Well.... :))

E = m*c^2, so 1 kg * (3e8 m/s)^2 = 9e16 J. 1kWh = 3600 kJ = 3.6e6 J, so at $0.10/kWh, your electricity costs approximately 2.5 billion dollars per pound.

Don't spend it all in one place. LOL!

Tim

-- Deep Fryer: A very philos> >> how do u slow down an electric meter?

case

electricity

the

Reply to
Tim Williams

Another way is to add a lot of capacitance across the line; the power company will also love you.

Reply to
Robert Baer

skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com...

get a comfy chair, sit down and watch it!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

use less power.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

That does very little. The losses in house wiring etc due to power factor are too small to bother with. The meter reads the true power for reasonable waveforms. As a result capacitors on the line don't help.

If you don't want to touch the meter, there are things you can do. These all work on the fact that the meter doesn't work well for abnormal waveforms.

Reply to
MooseFET

What would that do? I'd think it would, most of the time, add losses in the cap and in your wiring, which you'd pay for. Depending on how the meter is designed and adjusted, namely whether the meter nulls the quadrature component perfectly, the meter registration may go up or down a little from the imaginary component of the current, and you may net create an imaginary load that you actually pay for.

There's thousands of man-years of development in disc-type meters. They are astoundingly good, hard to match with electronics.

John

I've wondered how well a disc-type meter does on spikey waveforms, like rectifier-capacitor loads.

Anybody know?

John

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:45:05 -0500, Tim Williams top-posted [repaired below]

What I meant was that if it _were_ sold by the pound, each one would have to be infinitesimally cheap to total up to $0.10/KWH. ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Fill a cookpot with straw, set it on top of the meter, stir, and remember to not think of pink elephants. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Don't pay your electric bill. That will slow it to a full stop.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida