electric funny

[snip]

Yep. I can recall horse-drawn milk carts into the late '50's in my hometown of Huntington, WV.

The horse would move at just the rate to keep up with the milkman running up and down the stairs (houses all on hillsides). ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Their exhaust is useful too; my father remembers being sent out to collect their dung for the garden in the 1930s.

Also commercial horse powered vehicles survived here until

2006 :) Not for milk, admittedly but for (very good) beer[1].

The other classic, which I remember seeing, was horse-drawn carts for "rag-and-bone men" into at least the 60s. There's a famous 60s British sitcom "Steptoe and Son" about a father/son rag-and-bone team with horse-drawn cart. The father/son love/hate relationship was wonderfully observed, and it is still as fresh as a daisy, even if 405 line pictures aren't too good on 4K screens :)

There was a US ripoff, "Sanford and Son" which I've never seen.

[1] From wackypedia: Young's claimed that the Ram Brewery was the oldest British brewery in continuous operation.[11] At the time of its closure in 2006, the brewery was a mix of ancient and ultra-modern plant, including a steam engine which had been installed in 1835 and had been in regular use until the 1980s.

A number of animals were resident in the brewery, including a ram, a number of geese and about a dozen working draught horses, usually a shire horse. Until the closure of the brewery in 2006, the horses and drays were still used for local deliveries of beer to locations within a mile or two of the brewery.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Wadworth still use horses, albeit only local to the brewery in Devizes.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Ohm excellent. I was weaned on Wadworth's 6X :)

Youngs always claimed their drays were cost-effective; I don't see Wadworths making that claim.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

here in the city the mailman uses electric bikes

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

What was the range of an IC powered car (before it broke). ;-)

Reply to
krw

But just think of the greenhouse gasses!

Reply to
krw

Den tirsdag den 11. oktober 2016 kl. 02.45.04 UTC+2 skrev krw:

or had to find a pharmacy that sold gasoline

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

greenhorse gases. I gather in the 1800s horses turned city streets into sewers. Platform shoes were invented to keep one's feet above the turd. We have so much to be grateful for.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

His analysis of battery performance over mileage is _really_ pessimistic. There are early production Volts out there with 200k+ miles on the clock, and the data indicates that the battery capacity might be down 1 or 2%. 50% over 100k miles? Get real.

Reply to
bitrex

And those are all-electric drive miles, mind you.

Reply to
bitrex

It's a lot easier to manage emissions when the emission sources are concentrated into a small network of generating stations that burn say, natural gas, than control the emissions of millions of petro-burning vehicles.

But certainly try to come up with reasons not to do anything and continue with business as usual. "Oh, someone released some greenhouse gases during the manufacturing process? Ah, f*ck it, your proposed solution sucks. Let's just keep burnin' with our V8s..."

Reply to
bitrex

Yeah, buying an electric vehicle with an ~80 mile range when you live

100+ miles away and intending to drive it home is pretty stupid, isn't it.

Instead of calling a tow truck, he might have checked to see if there was a fast charger on the route, say at about 50 miles. He could've had a cup of coffee and charged up in 15 min. Guess that one didn't occur to him either.

Is there an actual story here?

Reply to
bitrex

nd the

.

Not when he got a better deal, no.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's fine to get a good deal, but it's stupid not to know the range of the vehicle you're getting and thereby not realize you'll need to find another way to get it home!

Reply to
bitrex

Gasoline is great, isn't it?

Can you imagine large cities if everyone rode horses? I guess in the case of NYC it wouldn't be much different.

Reply to
krw

There isn't much of anything between LA & Palm Springs...

Reply to
Bill Martin

Wind turbines.

Reply to