EDN is vanishing

The current issue is 53 mils thick, according to my calipers.

--

John Larkin, President Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

hnology.com=A0 jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Looking at hard copies of periodicals is rather dated in this day and time. It will be the same with most printed matter before long.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Incwww.highlandtechnology.com  jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

OK, check out this advanced online technical content, especially the readers' comments at the end.

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Shame we do not succeed in registering similar complaints about your 'life-product'.

You always have all these little nit pick, piss and moans about folks doing better than you. Yet you cannot handle scrutiny directed upon you.

Wanna dis NTB again too, asshole?

IIRC, EDN is (also) free.

I could see complaining about something you actually pay for, or simply not re-subscribing.

Does each of YOUR products have an entire 8 foot long shelf, full of documents you authored, detailing the product and its behavior, performance, etc.?

Probably something 53 mils thick.

Reply to
Corbomite Carrie

technology.com=A0jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

hnology.com=A0 jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

I'm just not getting that at all, almost seems anachronistic. But he did give us this

html . I'll wait until it shows up in a book bin at K-Mart for 25 cents ...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

That Rambus book could come in handy if you have a table with one leg that is a little too short.

Reply to
miso

But it is witten by "Dan" & "Chuck".

Reply to
Dennis

technology.com=A0jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Very helpful. I never realized capacitance and inductance didn't like(*) squarewaves.

Hey, new TV show: Dancing with the Squarewaves.

(*) Though I'm still not sure if that's in a Facebook sense, or as in "they're not buddies."

James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Doing better? I was moaning about a magazine doing very badly.

Yet you cannot handle scrutiny directed upon you.

It's pitiful that an enormous industry like electronics can't support a decent general-interest magazine. All of the mags - EET, ED, EDN - are degrading. They were far better 30 years ago, when the electronics industry was a much smaller part of the economy. The photonics mags are still fat and full of content... and ads.

The latest manual I wrote is 88 pages long, which is about 30 more than the current issue of EDN.

What mags do you read?

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

What difference would it make to the likes of you? You're used to reading books that are made of chewy thick cardboard with the aim of helping teething toddlers cut their teeth, Dimwit.

Reply to
JW

When he says, "I can remember dealing with such a [signal integrity] issue when I had only been out of school for a few years," I hope he means *high school*. :-)

I wonder if he realizes that anything Rambus publishes is likely a come-on to either buy their IP or else set you up for a lawsuit if you make use of the information anyway... :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

What I miss most about going from hard copy [dirt collecting, smelly over time] to electronic print [can NEVER find the article, don't remember WHERE to search] is the extra memory of what was 'adjacent' to the article. Like that was right after ... or about half way through the issue, or right near the top of the page...

All those 'extra' pieces of information no longer will exist. Instead they've been replaced with 'that article I was reading the date I was doing ...' or I duplicated that article several folders so I can find it...

Reply to
Robert Macy

Those that read Circuit Cellar might recongnize a name and a design in the next issue... ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

The industry has moved on too much. Much of what was done back then is now done in software, hard to write an interesting article on that. The internet means that a new product article really needs little more than a link. Even the odd circuit improvement idea is almost imposible to implement.

Reply to
cbarn24050

On Feb 28, 10:25=A0am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: ://soc.edn.com/blog/speed-kills-when-it-comes-printed-circuit-boa...

They actually like a square wave because it *resonates* with them.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

His entire viewpoint is stupid because he fails to notice the shift in society and societal norms.

He fails to notice such shifts all the time, and it is the main reason he gets hard wired dumb about so many things.

Reply to
Corbomite Carrie

Sounds to me like what you and i might like is a web site to oneself, = just to help with organizing all those scraps of knowledge. Be bit of a bugger getting it built, but once running it may be really useful. What was that old fat Mac application, hypercards?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

recongnize: (v) to conduct military observation and achieve positive identification

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Hi Charlie,

A wee bit expensive, $50/year! Is it really that good?

A question, can your color gadget recognize a school bus from about

50' away ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

If you design small systems it is, literally, worth it just for the ads. The columns and articles are a nice touch on top of the collection of easily-found sources for all sorts of products handy to making small system.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott