Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change - Page 4

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change

not to mention the animals too  :-)

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change

How much money do you think there is in telling people things they
_don't_ want to hear?

Nobody ever lost a buck telling people things they do want to hear. If
it's all about money that's probably the option I'd pick.

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change
a series of sudden and catastrophic ecosystem shifts that have occurred rec
ently across Australia.
 and extreme weather events, are overwhelming ecosystems? natural r
esilience."
thingness, except excess heat, so no one really cares just yet.
-under-climate-change-99367

I don't follow.  I would love for AGW to be wrong.  I'd love to see hard re
search that proves we can continue to do all the same things we've been doi
ng for 200 years with no impact.  No one *wants* AGW, that's why so many ar
e concerned about it.  So the idea that we *want* to be told AGW is happeni
ng is pure BS.

Rick C.

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change

The point I was trying to make (sorry if unclear) was that if you wanted
to make serious money with little effort with an advanced climate
science or geophysics degree why not just walk into the CATO Institute
or some oil industry think tank/front group and say: "Hi I'd like to let
you know that I feel it's all nonsense, I don't have any figures or math
or stuff to show you and your readers wouldn't understand it anyway. but
it's my belief that it is, and I'll gladly write op ed pieces for you to
that effect and I'll sign my name and credentials off on the byline."

They'd hire you immediately and pay you a ton of money for writing a
blog, basically. Sure beats working your ass off for funding!

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change

That is to say sometimes denialists like to say "it's all about the
money" and other times that it's all about ideology. It can't be both,
it has to be one or the other because both together is logically
inconsistent.

If you're willing to commit grand fraud and compromise your academic
ethics then there are much better ways to make boatloads of cash doing
that then climate modeling.

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change
series of sudden and catastrophic ecosystem shifts that have occurred recen
tly across Australia.
nd extreme weather events, are overwhelming ecosystems? natural res
ilience."
ingness, except excess heat, so no one really cares just yet.
nder-climate-change-99367

You keep banking on that massive CO2 absorbing mountain range with 25,000 f
t peaks emerging just in time to save the planet. That's so much more reaso
nable. Right now the Earth is a ticking time bomb about to release unpreced
ented levels of methane into the atmosphere, and this will kill nearly all
lifeforms quite rapidly, as in a few months time frame.

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change
On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 10:19:18 -0700 (PDT),

Will a few million square miles of methane clathrate all erupt
simultaneously? By what mechanism?

How much CO2 will it take to kill us all? Some of the most prolific
eras on Earth happened with CO2 above 5000 PPM.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change
 a series of sudden and catastrophic ecosystem shifts that have occurred re
cently across Australia.
e and extreme weather events, are overwhelming ecosystems? natural
resilience."
othingness, except excess heat, so no one really cares just yet.
g-under-climate-change-99367
0 ft peaks emerging just in time to save the planet. That's so much more re
asonable. Right now the Earth is a ticking time bomb about to release unpre
cedented levels of methane into the atmosphere, and this will kill nearly a
ll lifeforms quite rapidly, as in a few months time frame.

https://www.kane.co.uk/knowledge-centre/what-are-safe-levels-of-co-and-co2-
in-rooms

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change

The underwater clathrates are only marginally stable;
a slight temperature rise (or pressure reduction) is
sufficient to allow them to flash back into methane.

There is a lot of methane in the permafrost in the arctic
regions. Many craters have been appearing in the Siberian
permafrost, and the best evidence is that it is due to the
permafrost melting in areas that it hasn't before (within
human history, anyway!)

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change

Whoops.

Missed recommending that you take off your "Joo Janta
200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses".
They have been designed to help people develop a relaxed
attitude to danger. They follow the principle "what you
don't know can't hurt you" and turn completely dark and
opaque at the first sign of danger. This prevents you
from seeing anything that might alarm you.

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Joo_Janta_200_Super-Chromatic_Peril_Sensitive_Sunglasses

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change
On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 19:56:59 +0100, Tom Gardner

Why are there so many terrified wusses around these days?

They make bad electronic designers.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change

That's as invalid/meaningless as

"Why are there so many head-in-the-sand
shills around these days?
"They make bad electronic designers."

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change

Planet Earth, population seven billion.

The majority of people don't serve the niche of 'electronic designer',
so whether they serve it well or not is ... unimportant.

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change

My challenge is to find the rare individual who is good at electronic
design. And then make them better.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change

Don't pick me! Don't pick me!

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change
bes a
red
ange and
al resilience."
sing-under-climate-change-99367
5,000 ft

ase
ill
nsitive_Sunglasses

John Larkin thinks that he can recognise good electronic design.

He does seem to confuse "good" and "profitable".

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change

Ayn Rand was enthralled with capitalism in the way a person who'd never
worked a real job might be.

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change
s a series of sudden and catastrophic ecosystem shifts that have occurred r
ecently across Australia.
ge and extreme weather events, are overwhelming ecosystems? natural
 resilience."
nothingness, except excess heat, so no one really cares just yet.
ng-under-climate-change-99367
000 ft peaks emerging just in time to save the planet. That's so much more
reasonable. Right now the Earth is a ticking time bomb about to release unp
recedented levels of methane into the atmosphere, and this will kill nearly
 all lifeforms quite rapidly, as in a few months time frame.

There's an even larger volume of methane on the relatively shallow arctic s
eafloor, and it will thaw quite rapidly as the unprecedented violent arctic
 storms, due to ice loss, stir the waters, mixing warm surface water with d
eep cold water.

Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change
On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 04:13:32 -0700 (PDT),

The swarms of locusts will stir things up too.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change
 a series of sudden and catastrophic ecosystem shifts that have occurred re
cently across Australia.
e and extreme weather events, are overwhelming ecosystems? natural
resilience."
othingness, except excess heat, so no one really cares just yet.
g-under-climate-change-99367
0 ft peaks emerging just in time to save the planet. That's so much more re
asonable. Right now the Earth is a ticking time bomb about to release unpre
cedented levels of methane into the atmosphere, and this will kill nearly a
ll lifeforms quite rapidly, as in a few months time frame.

Nobody knows, but it has happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleocene%E2%80%93Eocene_Thermal_Maximum

But that was a very long time ago and the sun was somewhat smaller then.

A lot of CO2 is unlikely to kill everybody, but it is likely to mess up our
 current crops and create a population crash.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Site Timeline