economics note - Page 2

Re: economics note

Did STM, ARM and FTDI etc happen in the US too?

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Isn't ARM a Chinese company?

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: economics note

was a UK company now owned by Japanese company

Re: economics note

Isn't. It came out of UK and is now Japanese owned.

Re: economics note
On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 18:34:20 -0000 (UTC), Jasen Betts

ST has some OK parts, but nothing spectacular.

I was looking into 1200 volt SiC power fets.

The Cree that I'm using has a FOM, Ron*Cout, of 6.4 ps. A similar ST
part is 12.3 ps, so the Cree wins big-time.

Re: economics note

Software (or maybe writing romance novels) is a
super-low-capital-investment business. Pure ideas. I just enjoy
designing circuits, which are still pretty light on fixed costs.
Someone can set up a good electronics lab for less than the cost of a
good computer.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: economics note

You make absolutely no sense.

Money is a representation of wealth.

"Take"?  Clueless.

Re: economics note

That's rather difficult to accomplish unless you want to establish a
barter or true communist economy, where money is not used.  In a
capitalist economy, the value of goods and services are generally
determined in terms of money (dollars).

That depends on how you define value.  Value can be artificially
created by simply arranging a shortage.  If someone corners the market
on some service or commodity, they directly control the value of that
commodity.  Value can also be destroyed, usually by the government
taxing a product, thus making it more expensive to buy, and therefore
decreasing its value.

Oddly, value can also be reduced arbitrarily.  I was involved in a
public company that managed to push it's stock up to impressive
values.  However, buy/sell volume was too slow for the exchange to
tolerate (since it makes it's money on transaction volume).  So, one
day, we found that the exchange had arbitrarily reduced the quoted
asking price.  When asked, it was to increase volume and promote more
transactions.  It was quite a surprise, but there was nothing we could
do to change it.  We survived.

Want something else (economic) to worry about?
"Federal Debt: Total Public Debt as Percent of Gross Domestic Product"
<https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?id=GFDEGDQ188S,#0
At this time, the total public government debut is 104% of the gross
domestic product.  That means if the entire US economy went on an
austerity binge and dedicated itself solely to paying off the national
debt for a year, we still would be in dept at the end of that year.
Offhand, I would say we're doomed.

Re: economics note

Not sure if you're trolling. Obviously we can't forget
money, but we can consider wealth creation alone,
while setting aside any consideration of monetary value.

Again, you seem to be trolling. I wasn't talking about
relative values of one thing vs another, which can be
tweaked. I was talking about value being inherent (in
an indeterminate amount) in anything that anyone wants.
It usually takes labour, time and/or resources to make it.

That's like removing an advert from someone persistently
trying to sell something worthless for crazy money. If
it's not selling, drop the price until it does.

Not even close. To do that, no-one would eat, build,
keep warm, or travel to work for the whole year.

World finance is a Ponzi scheme which is destined to crash.

Debt (the total book value of all the assets) is at
least an order of magnitude more than the sum of the
achievable sales price for them all individually.
We've sold 2000 seats to a session in a cinema that
has only 200 seats.

Clifford Heath.

Re: economics note
Well I'd like to balance the budget... then maybe some slow inflation
over ~20 years will reduce it.  (but I'll agree that doesn't seem likely
in the current political climate.)

George H.

Re: economics note
On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 05:50:50 -0700 (PDT), George Herold

Once interest rates climb back to natural levels, the Federal deficit
will really hurt. Janet created a monster.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: economics note
Well then maybe we'll do something.

Janet created a monster.
I can't put the blame on one person... We've been spending too much for
years.  I was hoping for 'the grand bargin' with Boehner and Obama.

George H.

Re: economics note
:
te:
tainable-if-i-had-a-magic-wand-i-would-raise-taxes.html
the-trade-deficit/
 the

That is absolutely wrong.  Every time you work you create wealth/value/mone
y.  Maybe "money" shouldn't be in that list because technically money is a
zero sum item.  But value or wealth or whatever you want to call it *is* cr
eated when people do things or come up with ideas.

You are confusing trade with value.

Rick C.

Re: economics note

"Thin air" means nothing. No person, no time, no *work*.
Sure, you can create value if you work. But not out of
nothing, the way new money gets created.

Seriously, am I speaking a foreign language, or are
you folk *trying* to misinterpret me?

Clifford Heath.

Re: economics note
e:
te:
rote:
ustainable-if-i-had-a-magic-wand-i-would-raise-taxes.html
ey
n-the-trade-deficit/
ke the
money.  Maybe "money" shouldn't be in that list because technically money i
s a zero sum item.  But value or wealth or whatever you want to call it *is
* created when people do things or come up with ideas.

Yes, you seem to be talking in a foreign language.  How is "value" created
out of thin air?  I've never seen that happen.  Which "new money" are you t
alking about?

Rick C.

Re: economics note

As usual, you've lost the plot. Go back to where this
sub-thread started and read it again.

Re: economics note
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 2:46:02 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
te:
rote:
ustainable-if-i-had-a-magic-wand-i-would-raise-taxes.html
ey
n-the-trade-deficit/
ke the
ney.  Maybe "money" shouldn't be in that list because technically money is
a zero sum item.  But value or wealth or whatever you want to call it *is*
created when people do things or come up with ideas.

Not all behavior that gets money for someone creates 'value'
See rent-seeking,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent-seeking

George H.

Re: economics note
On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 05:56:16 -0700 (PDT), George Herold

Of course.

Theft
Taxation (though I repeat myself)

Re: economics note
e:
rote:
nsustainable-if-i-had-a-magic-wand-i-would-raise-taxes.html
They
den-the-trade-deficit/
ise
like the
se
money.  Maybe "money" shouldn't be in that list because technically money i
s a zero sum item.  But value or wealth or whatever you want to call it *is
* created when people do things or come up with ideas.

This describes a situation where the wealth is already created and the owne
r is not charging as much as the fair market allows then recognizing the im
balance and changing the rate to a fair value.

No, wealth was not created, rather it was simply being under valued and the
n corrected.

Rick C.

Re: economics note

No more than the amount of energy is fixed.  (But I didn't
even take econ 101)

George H.

Site Timeline