Eating As A Source Of Pleasure Soon To Be Abolished

Get used to more vegetables because that's all you're going to get.

Massive amounts of land now used for production of livestock feed will be converted to restorative energy production:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That's silly. People are already bored with this AGW greenie stuff. It's way down on the list of stuff that people care about.

We will eventually have tank-grown meat, and will probably feel like killing animals for food is barbaric.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

No - that's not going to happen. They will produce "plant based" meat like this:

- a Stanford invention.

They're beta testing this all over the place, have been for several years now, without telling people what they're getting. Use the location tab to find a restaurant near you.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I recently tried a "Beyond Beef" vegan hamburger. It was 4 times the cost of an ordinary beef hamburger, and was only OK. It lacked the deep oomph of real beef with fat dripping from the sides and smothered in mustard or ketchup.

It will take a great deal of persuasion to get me to try it again.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Yes, but "they" won't be eating it. WE will. Along with a side of fried grasshoppers. Yes, they're already trying to encourage us to eat insects, whilst they're chowing down on the finest sirloin steak and whatnot. Did you not read Animal Farm? That's how it always turns out.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That "sirloin" will probably be human meat harvested from the enormous pool of corpses to become available soon...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Wasn't John the Baptist in the dessert on a honey/grasshopper diet? Man, it's in the BIBLE!

That should be a nice crunchy power bar: "Hoppy Miel"

OK, cross language puns do not work.

cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Not true.

For example in my home city most restaurants have vegan options, and there are a few pure vegan restaurants, e.g.

and there are many that are only veg/vegan.

It most definitely is fashionable at the moment; whether that lasts remains to be seen.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There used to be water bars, too. Takes a lot of water to improve people's looks as much as three pints of beer. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes indeed.

There's at least one original temperance bar over here

I remember seeing an oxygen bar in Breckenridge. Yes, they were selling oxygen - probably to the same people that made sure they ate lots of antioxidants.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

"Had lunch with the Fuhrer today. We discussed his plan to make Germany a vegetarian country after the war. He believes it would be too much to ask of the people at this time."

-Goebbels diary, April 1944

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Some day it will be on the menu at iHOP.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I had this "Impossible Burger" at a restaurant a couple months ago, I didn't think it was going to taste much different than your average veggie-burger.

The resemblance to hamburger was definitely uncanny I thought about sending it back for a moment certain the kitchen had made an error, it was really that spot-on. Juicy with a lot of meat flavor, not like a health-food veggie burger at all.

Reply to
bitrex

I think there's a difference between abstaining from meat because one is displeased with the way modern factory farms treat livestock for mass production, and actually liking animals better than most people.

I've never owned a dog or a housecat I think it's weird. I don't mind visiting dogs and cats from time to time, though.

Reply to
bitrex

I've had it a few times now it's definitely a very appealing likeness when served on a Kaiser roll with a big slice of heirloom tomato, mushrooms, peppers and onions, would eat again.

Reply to
bitrex

Exactly. You can depend on bison steaks, passenger pigeon pies, and dodo meat; there's just so MANY of them.

Our ancestors liked wooly mammoth and aurochs, too, if you want to fall back on traditional comfort food. Garnish with silphium to taste.

Reply to
whit3rd

While it may be palatable, it wouldn't have equivalent nutritional benefits.

I've come across far too many people that think (and I use that word loosely) that soya "milk" is a substitute for milk.

As those people age, I expect there to be an increased prevalence of osteoporosis, pernicious anaemia (undiagnosed due to high folate intake), and CNS degeneration due to B12 deficiency.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

And without the health benefits of meat, especially B12 and iron.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Ahhmmmm... "health benefits of red meat" is pretty much an oxymoron.

I am a fruit, veg, fish, whole meal bread and whole grain rice man.

Just saying...

What's your BMI by the way ? :-)

Mine 21.5 and I can do

which at my age, is not bad...

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

ll be

like

ars now,

ind a

hen

peppers

You're being duped by the beef industry. See "The Best Athletes in Ancient Rome were Vegetarian!"

And records of rations for the Roman Army indicate that as close as they ge t to meat is maybe some fat rendering added for flavoring. The bulk of thei r calories came from root crops and unprocessed grains. And there is no que stion their work output was unsurpassed, constantly building roads and fort ifications the old fashioned way, in addition to daily practice of close co mbat skills.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred