Earth Quake in CT

We had a earth quake here in CT the other day, a 5.9 and you CALIFORNIA guys had the nerve to laugh at us!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

There are others, mostly about the "It's Your Fault" line. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I am in Connecticut, 380 miles from the epicenter. It felt like the

1.1 quake I felt in California.
Reply to
Globemaker

It hit here too. No big deal... shook my boody pretty good, but no damage. ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

The locals here tell me that the Hudson River Valley is a _major_ fault line. ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

One of the bridges (The Viaduct?)in the city, is built across a fault. It has rollers on one/each end to move with the earth. There are many small quakes during the year along the Hudson , about halfway up to Albany.

Irene just made land fall, Coney island tropical storm, winds 65mph. ;)

Martin Riddle

Most brdges in AZ are like that... to allow for thermal expansion ;-)

Some gusty rain here, but no big deal. ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

Yes, of course, no big deal. Nuclear storage can survive a tiny 5.9. We should ship all nuclear waste to DC.

Proud surviver of 1989 San Francisco 7.1.

Reply to
linnix

...and the fault is always pointing to Albany.

Reply to
krw

The Tappan-Zee has a severe 'S' shape. I don't know about "rollers". The aqueducts are blasted into bedrock under the river. No "rollers" on them.

Reply to
krw

Being from Louisiana, and living in California, I can laugh at your tiny earthquakes *and* your wimpy little hurricanes.

John

You didn't have a earthquake there, the quake was about 3 miles deep in Mineral, Va- the vibration waves traveled through the much harder east coast rock to your location and that does not constitute an earthquake as there was no fault movement of any kind in your area.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Haha- I was about 30 miles from the epicenter and couldn't notice anything while standing on the ground. It is a different story for masonry structures of three stories or less as they tend to have resonant frequencies close to the typical quake forcing function- a smattering of historical buildings will be razed as a result.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

The hurricane left a mess, twigs and leaves. Mostly twigs. It's taking me all afternoon to clean the yard up.

But the people along the canals got it good. Lots of water damage.

Martin Riddle

NY or Boston or almost any old stone-and-brick city would be a real mess in a serious earthquake.

John