Ear Infection from In-ear type Headphones?

I normally don't get ear infections but ever since I bought a pair of in-ear type headphones (goes in ear canal, silicone rubber thingy at end), my hearing is all messed up in both ears at the same time.

Anybody else have this happen?

I suspect an Eustachian tube problem. I have the sensation of a sudden change in air pressure. High end response is crap and I have a constant feeling of inner ear pressure. One time I yawned and for a moment my hearing went back to normal. As an experiment I tried some nasal spray (not in the ear) and, after awhile I heard 'clicking'. The only time I hear that is when I have a cold. It's probably another clue it's the Eustachian tubes not working right.

I don't think I'm compressing ear wax. There's no wax on the in-ear headphones.. :P

Sometimes I play my mp3 player all day and often I'm pulling the phones out and putting them back in.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

You need to drink more wine ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I did think of alcohol sterilizing the headphones but not from the inside out. :P

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Like the doctor said, "Then don't do that."

Listening to music all day will destroy your ears and your brain together.

John

I listen to educational audiobooks and comedy while driving. Well, if you can call it driving. It's more like crawling in traffic. The road system here is crap. Probably due to street widths originally designed for horses not hundreds of SUVs.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

How old are you - 13?

Unplug your ears and see a doctor asap.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

It's illegal here to use headphones while driving!

John

I'm thinking about that.. It's just a minor annoyance right now.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Besides driving, audiobooks are great for dead times like checkout line ups, dentist appointments, airline flights, shopping and waiting for people. I've seen some people that just yack about nothing on cell phones to kill time in the same manner..

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Yup, sure beats thinking.

John

I was gargling like a volcano while listening to George Carlin at the dentist. :)

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

If you've just stuck a silicone rubber thingy in your ear, then you have created a change in air pressure. Your Eustachian tube cannot help because it goes to the other side of the ear drum - it's meant to equalise pressure on the basis that the outer side of the ear drum is at ambient pressure.

I've never used this type of earphone, but I'd imagine they're meant to have some mechanism for preventing a pressure difference across them.

Either way, I'd go with the advice given elsewhere in this thread - stop using the ear phones, and see a doctor.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Some people wear ITC (In The Canal) hearing aidsall day, every day. I find it very annoying and take several breaks. They do have a small air vent. John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

My ears are cleaned daily by Q-tip type swabs, so I always know how much wax is in my ear canals. None.

My in-ear headphones use little compressible foam cones that I pinch right before I put them in, and they expand to fit.

I doubt that your style actually caused an infection, but if an infection is present I am sure it is only a coincidental occurrence.

I would flood your ears with that stuff they sell to parents for kids to emulsify the wax,then it should rinse out during a nice, hot shower, providing you keep filling them up with hot shower water. Afterward, the q-tips. Then after every couple showers (days), more q-tip cleaning action.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Didn't your mother ever tell you that the only thing you should insert into your ear canal is your elbow?

I doubt you miss your ear drums.

*Never* put q-tips in the ear. Clearing the outer ear doesn't help the middle ear, where the infections occur, at all. Well, if your ear drum is intact, which your may not be after such abuse to your ears. Some amount of ear wax is a normal and good thing.

Note to OP; leave your ears alone. If you think you have an ear infection, see a doctor. Your symptoms will likely clear by themselves though.

Reply to
krw

After millions of years of human evolution if it was so darn important for wax removal there would be a little tentacle on the side of my head that scoops the wax out.. Or perhaps the ears would have some sort of rectum action and would just poop out a blob of wax like feces..