Duracell wireless charger, how does it work?

I picked up a Duracell wireless charger at a garage sale. Model CP-PPS. Also known as MyGrid. Jentec AH 1815-B Rated 15V at 1A.

It's NOT inductive. Has alternating metal stripes that supply power to contacts on the device adapter.

I have the adapter for the ipad, but no ipad.

Thought I'd reverse engineer it to see if I could do anything useful.

It puts out a square wave from 1V to 3V with a period of about

2milliseconds with a source impedance around 10K.

If you put a resistive load on it, it just drags down the square wave.

If you put a diode in series with a load of less than 10K, It powers up and puts out 15V with a narrow periodic sense pulse to near ground.

So far, so good.

Problem is that most devices need 5V. Not sure why they used

15V.

I was gonna put a zener in series and charge my PDA, until I did the math and decided I'd need to dissipate 10Watts.

The ipad adapter doesn't look like it has any place big enough for a switching regulator. I really don't want to tear it apart to see.

Anybody got insight into how this thing works?

Thanks, mike

Reply to
mike

[snip]

Huh? That's not wireless if it has "...metal stripes that supply power to contacts on the device adapter". ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

You need to explain that to the marketing department.

I still need to figger out if there's some magic way to get the voltage down to 5V or so.

Reply to
mike

I'd like to find an ordinary phone... no smart-phone BS... that has inductive charging.

My object is to walk in from the garage, drop my cell-phone in a slot, keep walking... it'd inductively charge and also talk to the house desk phones via Bluetooth or WiFi.

(I just Oomatized, and ported both home numbers... completing tomorrow. I'll call CenturyLink tomorrow and close my account. I'll now be paying per year what I did pay per month.... for all the bells and whistles :-) ...Jim Thompson

       ...Jim Thompson

Such phone, by definition, would be "smart". In another word, WiFi phone with VOIP. One of my Android phone is not activated, but for WiFi access only. All i need is a OOMA like VOIP gateway, then i can drop my activated phone.

I bet your kids and grand-kids are paying mobile phone bills per month, what you are paying land-line per year. Such progress intelligently planned (from phone company commercial).

Reply to
Edward Lee

If you're willing to drop it in a slot, just wire up some contacts and build a slot.

Ordinary wireless phone will do what you want except for the cell part.

I'm in the process of dumping Frontier and using CLEAR for internet. Bought an obi box that gives me free google voice phone.

I'd still like to make this charger work for my pda. I can easily fit in the contacts etc, but not much space inside if I have to add a switcher to get the 15V down to 5V for charging.

Reply to
mike

       ...Jim Thompson
    ...Jim Thompson
      |    mens     |
    |     et      |

does it have to be open? or, can it just be laid down inside/on a tray? does that work with it still folded, or whatever phones do today?

by the way, piece of cake to do the wireless charging, just need a manufacturer open to add to their product line. Did you ask Samsung? They're pretty avant garde in their approaches. I've worked with them before and would like to again.

Reply to
Robert Macy

You got it ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I like just a simple phone... I'm of the old school, phones are for talking... this incessant need too surf or tweet or text is NOT my style.

So I'm in the minority, no one seems to make an inductively charged talk-only phone :-( ...Jim Thompson

I love my DECT bluetooth link. Works great, but my old razr is power hungry with the BT radio on.

Martin Riddle

I've got an old LG Cosmos 2. I leave BT on all the time (Motorola T325 Bluetooth speakerphone in the car). It goes for nearly a week before needing a charge. If it had inductive charging I'd keep it forever. ...Jim Thompson

e:

       ...Jim Thompson
    ...Jim Thompson
      |    mens     |
    |     et      |

Bluetooth is built in; the original manufacturer should have built in wireless charge, too! Since you're not holding the cell phone; there should be no problem adding something to the phone, right? As I said, piece of cake to do.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Does anyone have a schematic for these chargers? My particular phone does have an unusual back with some space that might accommodate some circuitry. ...Jim Thompson

I'm with you Jim, I don't want to surf on a small phone screen. But the world is going to mobile and away from desktops and laptops. Computer sales are sliding, "world-wide shipments of laptops and desktops fell 14% in the first quarter from a year earlier. That is the sharpest drop since IDC began tracking this data in 1994 and marks the fourth straight quarter of declines." From:

Here's an interesting graph, although ends it in 2011. Shows amazing growth in iPhone, Android and iPad in a few short years.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Yep, I know. All my children and grandchildren seem to have a gross-sized iPhone or equivalent. My LG Cosmos fits easily in a shirt pocket, though, in the style of one who used to carry a slip-stick on his belt, I have holster for it >:-} ...Jim Thompson

ote

:

rote:

ly

         ...Jim Thompson

ot,

      ...Jim Thompson
      |    mens     |
      |     et      |

    ...Jim Thompson
      |    mens     |
    |     et      |

Interesting note, for a wireless power transfer you'll see the easiest way to 'shut off' the spigot of power coming in is to simply short out the coil destroying its resonance, DO NOT open the coil up like you do when attached to a voltage supply.

If you're serious about making up a wireless chargning system for your phone; contact me offline.

Reply to
Robert Macy