dropbox link

For people who are not regisered with Dropbox, what do you see here?

Is it an OK no-hassle image?

The idiots are soon breaking all the existing public file links.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

A sheet of copper-clad and an abused ISDN transformer n stuff

(opens fine in an "incognito" Chrome window that retains no account info/saved passwords/local user state)

Reply to
bitrex

OK, I'll have to post "dropbox links" instead of "public dropbox links".

Idiots.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Can't you just assign a page of your own website for show 'n' tell? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I use Dropbox privately to let me work from multiple sites; my active project files go into Dropbox folders, and then they magically appear on multiple PCs. It's all drag-and-drop.

It is/was easy to also have a public folder within my overall D:\Dropbox folder, to post public images. They are sort of wrecking that now, or at least trashing my old links and making me create new ones.

Our ISP/web hoster is not great... we need a new one eventually. And The Brat wouldn't like me messing with her company web site.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Yes, it is really annoying

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

I just switched to Inmotion. I haven't gotten used to this WordPress stuff yet. Eventually I'll have to but so far I find the way it "organizes" (or rather, doesn't organize) files a mess. But one can use other software if desired.

It would just be a simple FTP area that doesn't affect the rest of the site. She could even call it "Dad's sandbox" or something.

If at some point you want to write stuff there as well (I plan to) then WordPress might be the way to go. There are way to improve its messy file repository. Usually writing privileges can be restricted to certain areas so you can't accidentally delete some of her stuff.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What about the hundreds or thousands of old links you have already posted?

You don't have time to go back and change all those links. Is there anything we can do to modify the link to gain access to the old files?

Reply to
Steve Wilson

That's effectively what I do... you can access a specific filename that I've posted a link to, but, if you try to access the directory itself, you get...

Forbidden You don't have permission to access /SED/ on this server.

I also have up/down-load FTP capability for my customers where I assign them a username and password.

(I maintain the site myself, it's rather a trivial operation ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I use private Github projects for that, or else git repositories on network-accessible NAS boxes.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Imagine a folder in your collection of Dropbox folders, you can grab and post a link to the folder, instead of just to individual files. Whenever you add something new to the folder, it's visible along with the rest. I think you can have and create nested folders in there, as well, to guide people to specific things. E.g., I have a folder, s.e.d, and it has lots of subfolders.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

2819 files in my Public folder.

All those links will be broken soon. I could create new ones on request. Or make the entire structure publically available as Joerg suggests.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Oops, that was Win.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Second option sounds great.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

How do I do that?

Since I'm a Dropbox user, I don't see what other people see.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Den tirsdag den 4. juli 2017 kl. 00.30.33 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

to see how it looks for people not logged in just browse in incognito mode

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Looks good to e.

Go somewhere else.

Reply to
krw

I see the image for all of (can you count to) ONE second. Followed by the (now) usual garbage.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Like that gets the image with a (useless) dropbox frame around it. sometimes the frame has pop-ups from dropbox.

Jasen Betts

Thanks. Would you please try these?