Driving 74LS from 3.3V uP

Prototyping a little toy for the kiddos out of junk box parts...

I have a IV-9 Numitron connected up on a PCB to a 74LS47 BCD to 7 segment driver. uP is a 3.3 volt ATTiny (Adafruit "Trinket" devboard) powered via an on-board LDO directly off a 3.7 V 150mAh lipo. 3.7 volts is boosted to around 5 to power the 74LS and Numitron segments via an eBay special micro boost converter with shutdown pin.

The test code right now simply outputs a BCD to the '47 inputs and pulls the shutdown pin on the boost high to turn it on.

The problem is the uP starts up fine and all the output voltages on the

4 BCD pins looks good in isolation, but when the circuit is powered up with the Numitron and '47 connected up the bench supply immediately falls over into overcurrent protection at about 80 mA, way more than say two incandescent segments to form the numeral 1 should be drawing at 5 volts, I believe.

The boost has plenty enough oomph to power all the Numitron digits from either the LiPo or the bench supply, I tested that in isolation.

Tested two different '47s with the same result. Not sure exactly what's going on here...could there be some ESD/clamp diode pathway that's being driven that I don't know about? Or a startup sequencing issue?

Reply to
bitrex

I should add to be clear that there's no output on the display when the bench supply goes into overcurrent, the open-collector output drivers are not turning on.

Reply to
bitrex

Double-check connections? Measure power supply voltage to the chips themselves?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Are the ATTiny's pins 5-volt tolerant, when the chip is operated from a 3.3-volt supply?

Based on what I see in the 74LS74 data sheet, the flip-flop's input pins are almost certainly going to be trying to pull the Tiny's output pins up to around 4.3 volts. This may very well be turning on some overvoltage-protection diodes in the Tiny. The 74LS74 data sheet suggests that Iil is limited to around 3.2 mA per pin, worst case, so 80 mA surprises me.

... Looking at the ATTiny85 data, it appears to me that it is *not* tolerant in this way. Absolute maximum voltage on any pin is limited to -0.5V, to Vcc+0.5V. So, you're overdriving it.

You'll need a different sort of driver circuit to do this safely.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Ah, thank you. Seems like I should be able to swap in a 74HC4511 and run it off the 3.3 instead?

Reply to
bitrex

Some of those old LS parts may draw significant crowbar currents as the supply is ramped up... choking the "eBay special". ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

It's an LS47, not an LS74. But that doesn't matter.

An LS input pulls itself up to about 1 volt, and weakly at that. That shouldn't bother the uP.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I'm currently rewriting the code to test if it might be a "sequencing" issue. Hold the outputs tri-state, bring up the boost supply via the enable pin, then set the pins to output and latch the data.

Reply to
bitrex

You're right, I mis-read. But, as you say, it doesn't matter.

The TI datasheet for the 74LS47 shows the equivalent input circuit as having a resistor (nominal 20k) tied to Vcc, and then fed through a zener to the input pin. It looks as if it'll try to pull up to "Vcc minus one diode drop" - not all that strongly, but that may be enough to pull the ATTiny's pin up above its absolute-maximum limit.

The O.P. may want to measure the Tiny's output-pin voltages, with the

5-volt boost both on and off, and see if the chip's spec is being violated.

Assuming that the problem isn't due to a short circuit or miswiring somewhere, the idea of switching to a CMOS 7-segment driver and running the chip from the 3.3-volt supply would not be a bad idea... this would honor the Tiny's absolute-maximum voltage ratings. If I understand correctly, the 7-segment drivers are open-collector / open-drain, and so the 7-segment display itself could be run directly from the LiPo battery. This would avoid the need for a boost converter, and should increase electrical efficiency - fewer unnecessary volts to dissipate in the 7-segment current limiting resistors, and so smaller resistors could be used.

Reply to
Dave Platt

That's not a zener, it's a Schottky diode. But the resistor-schottky node is clamped to ground through two more diode drops, so it can't go very positive. TTL and LSTTL don't pull up very far, around +1 volt.

I suspect something else is going on.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

MCU I/Os are typically protected by an ESD diode which will typically handle the current from 5 volts through a 20 kohm resistance which would be less than 100 uA. That's the real issue, the current through that diode. Too much and trouble. Until it blows, it won't let the voltage rise above the "danger" point.

But your are right, this is not a good idea. Better to use one of many alternative solutions to the problem.

--

Rick C
Reply to

What about a driver chip that runs from 3.3 volts? TLC5916-Q1/TLC5917-Q1

--

Rick C
Reply to

There's no problem with a 3.3v cmos uP driving 5 volt LS logic.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You might run into the same problem again when they do, due to filament cold resistance. You could soft start them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You are facing that eternal cosmic question: where the hell is the current going?

lunatic fringe electronics

2x tubes at 14 segments with 20mA/segment gets you 14 x 5 x 20 = 1.4W whi ch at 85% or less efficiency (Chinese special) = 1.65W or more from the L iPo or 1.65/3.5= 0.5A *average* with possible 1A peaks for the boost. Ckt is not the only thing hopelessly underpowered around here.
Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It's only one tube. I tested the tube/converter circuit in isolation and it appears to light all the digit segment combinations of one tube OK

Reply to
bitrex

ts

lls

he

say

5

om

's

ing

which at 85% or less efficiency (Chinese special) = 1.65W or more from t he LiPo or 1.65/3.5= 0.5A *average* with possible 1A peaks for the boost. Ckt is not the only thing hopelessly underpowered around here.

The bench supply is reacting to instantaneous current, so 2 segements is 40 mA x 5/3.5/0.85= 67mA and possible 100mA current ripple peak in the boost inductor. Use a bigger PS or adjust that current limit upwards to 1A. Ther e is no problem here, other than underpowered PS.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

All segments from a cold start?

lunatic fringe electronics

I did some more experimenting this afternoon and I think something along these lines is the cause of the issue.

Had the driver and incandescent display in isolation running from the bench supply at 3.7 volts. If I connect up the bench supply and then turn the power supply on from the switch, the circuit latches up and the supply goes into protection.

If I allow the bench supply to start up, with the leads to the protoboard unconnected, and then connect the leads, the display and

74LS47 function normally.
Reply to
bitrex