Dr Ben Carson

... but given how often his statements change and the number of outstanding lawsuits against him (73 now?), and his swift reversal of his campaign promises (lock her up etc) some might call him amoral.

Yup, he's settling in to being a politician remarkably quickly.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

[Shaking head :-] ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

How about other inconvenient family members, such as grandfathers with money?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs ======================================

As long as they are democrats.

Reply to
tom

Is it possible to impeach a president-elect...

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Grow up and get a life. ...Jim Thompson

No problem. They're already brain dead.

Reply to
krw

The Murdoch media seem to be lying about Trump as enthusiastically as they lie about anthropogenic global warming.

The fossil carbon extraction industry has more money than Trump, but Trump may be able to do Murdoch profitable favours on media ownership rules.

Trump doesn't seem to be immoral at all - he's utterly amoral, and doesn't seem to understand what morality is about.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Define "person".

Reply to
Robert Baer

There are many, many decisions that have to have black and white results which are made by interpreting grey data. While many people feel "abortion" is ok when the fetus is just a mass of cells but are not so comfortable when it is more recognizable as a human. Clearly not only is this line hard to draw, it would be drawn differently by every person. I've met one person who said abortion should be legal up to the age of 13 (I'm not certain he was kidding). Others feel the use of "Plan-B" is wrong because it prevents the embryo from implanting in the uterus ending its life the same as an abortion.

It is very pointless to try to justify one position over another to someone who feels differently.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Clearly "person" refers to a person under the law having rights and protection by those laws.

--

Rick C
Reply to

No, but one could be assassinated. If the election had gone the other way, I expect our friend JT would be calling for the use of lethal force, likely by his own hand.

Any lawsuits or criminal actions already filed at this point can continue to be pursued after Trump takes office. While in office he has immunity from the courts, only Congress can initiate impeachment of a sitting President.

--

Rick C
Reply to

And responsibility under those laws. In other words, a "person" is granted autonomy of action, limited only in the effects of those actions. A child is granted less autonomy and is held to be less responsible, naturally.

Under this definition, we are not far from where autonomous cars and other robots are also considered as (lesser) persons. There is a difference, but that difference *will* be bridged.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have needed to. His supporters would have already tried... multiple times... and perhaps succeeded. The only consolation for Trump being elected is to have avoided the following civil war.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Rickman is a perennial candidate for village idiot.

Had Hillary been elected there would likely have been a civil war, because middle-America is totally fed up with the bull.

But it wouldn't be my fault... we "cute elderly couple[s]" have no influence. ...Jim Thompson

           What do you call a basement full of leftists?

                          A whine cellar.

More likely you've merely put it off.

Jim - who is the leading candidate for village ignoramus - thinks that the people who don't share his misconceptions are idiots. This is pure ignoranc e. While we've got krw and Jamie competing for the position of village idio t, no other candidate has a chance.

It is unlikely - Hillary's bull was strictly business as usual, and Trump's bull was not only nonsense but also inconsistent and incoherent nonsense.

Jim being faintly realistic for once - though he probably though that he wa s being ironic.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

you are a racist

Reply to
djlocher56

g a

ep

untry"?

. I

Djloc doesn't understand the concept of "supporting a claim". His brain wor ks like krw's (if "work" is the right verb) and he thinks that it is suffic ient to tell us what he thinks, without explaining why he thinks that, whic h would take the kind of introspection that the right-wing brain isn't equi pped to execute.

Needless to say, this does make his opinion worthless.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I talked to some of my household appliances and they don't like the sound of this. If autonomous cars can have the vote, why can't they? My dishwasher runs a full cycle without human intervention. The refrigerator runs constantly maintaining a temperature without human interaction other than expecting groceries to not spoil.

If you are going to give cars rights, you need to look at the wider implications.

--

Rick C
Reply to

There was a marvelous story in Analog (I think) some decades ago, about the experience of a car equipped with an AI-based self-diagnostic system. After a year or so, the diagnostics showed that there was clearly something wrong... excessive wear on the tires and brakes, overstress of the shocks, improper oil levels, engine mis-firing due to water in the fuel, etc.

The AI's learning system was able to narrow down all of the faults to a single common element, and concluded that the car had a defective "driver" module.

There was no specific repair procedure on file for replacing a bad driver, so the AI got inventive... began refusing to start, stalling, stumbling whenever the driver tried to invoke a "jackrabbit start" or "drag race" procedure, and so forth.

After a few months, the owner sold the car, it was bought by someone else... and the AI achieved its goal. The driver component had been upgraded. All of the starting, stalling, stuttering problems vanished overnight.

Things got *really* interesting when the AI was able to broadcast the newly-discovered driver-replacement procedure to its fleet-mates :-)

Reply to
Dave Platt

...and is therefore less of a "person"?

When your logic is reasonable and your conclusions asinine, check your assumptions.

Reply to
krw