"Doppler Shift" reflected from fixed objects?

A friend who sings in various choirs reported that, when rehearsing in an empty abbey, she noticed the echo at the end of a phrase appeared to be sounding flat compared with the pitch of note sung. The effect disappeared when there was a congregation.

The main nave of this particular abbey (Tewkesbury) has pairs of undecorated round pillars of large diameter at unusually close spacing (because there are smaller 'Roman' arches between them, which give closer spacing than in most gothic-arched churches). This large area of exposed vertical surface gives a much stronger first return than in other churches with spindly, well-separated pillars.

My explanation was that the reflections returning to the choir would come from each pair of pillars in turn, at successively greater distance. This would mean that the effective path length of the echo would be increasing with each succesive return of the sound and this would be the same as if it were from a single reflector moving away from the singers. The reflected 'image' of the sound source would, in effect, be moving and would experience Doppler Shift which lowered the pitch.

When the congregation was present, they would absorb the horizontally-propagating sound waves which are the ones that would reflect directly back to the choir. The unabsorbed sound waves above choir height would be angled upwards and their reflections would be lost in the general reverberation of the building.

Does this seem like a plausible explanation, or is there a better one.? My friend has excellent hearing and is very pitch-sensitive, so I don't doubt that she has identified a real effect.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

More likely to me is the effect of intensity on pitch. Louder tends to sound sharper.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

On Apr 30, 2018, Adrian Tuddenham wrote (in article):

It will take some math to tell. From your friend, get the actual dimensions and locations. Then compute the phases of the echos coming off each column and algebraically sum the echos. Compute this as a function of frequency. There will be peaks and valleys. The ear is most sensitive around 3 KHz.

The above is straight from the theory of phased-array radars, and there are many university lectures on the web about this.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

A reflection of a fixed object won't alter the frequency.

Assuming there isn't a sound system in place, the only explanation I can think of is where there where some frequencies are absorbed (for whatever reason) , those that are left provide this perception of being flat.

I doubt a singer's voice is pure, in a similar same way a chord on a piano is not pure. If one of those notes is missing or attenuated then this could exhibit the same effect.

An audience is very good at being an absorber of sound so it is not that surprising the effect is no longer apparent.

BICBW

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

A Doppler reflection of a pure sine wave creates new frequencies in the reflection; no fixed reflector/delay pattern can do that, in the way that an ideal FIR filter doesn't create new spectral lines. But staged reflections could sound a lot like Doppler. She has a good ear.

lunatic fringe electronics

ns

re

Both of you are pretty far off base. Phased array radar has nothing to do with Doppler shift and it doesn't have to do with the phasing of multiple r eflections. It has to do with the fact that an object is actually moving w hen reflecting a sound, so the *only* reflection is constantly impacting th e phase of the returned signal. The analog to the multiple phased returns in a church would be an echo chamber. That's why they try hard to restrict the echos in any music hall. The want some return so it sounds "live" but too much is disturbing. None of the above will alter the actual pitch.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

As an occasional singer, I can testify that perceived pitch is easily altered by the environment. This must be why even top-class performers often sing off-key on stage.

Reply to
Pimpom

There's no such effect in the steady state, obviously, but I could imagine a psycho-physical effect of that sort, with the number of echoes rattling round.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

that

I was tickled, many years ago, to learn that the unit of absorption for acoustic purposes is "square foot of open window". Maybe there is a proper metricated equivalent these days...

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

the psycho acoustic effect of change in PERCEIVED pitch vs loudness is well known.

mark

Reply to
makolber

[...]

There were line-source speakers on the backs of some of the columns. I noticed they were mounted exactly vertical and quite high, so the sound reaching the congregation below would be very poor because of the differing path lengths from individual drive units. However, a clear echo would come off the back wall.

There was no service in progress when I visited, so I couldn't hear how the system sounded; if it used a frequency shifter to overcome feedback, that might have accounted for the echo being lower in pitch.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Maybe different frequencies have different time of flights/ dispersion. (have you ever clapped into a long pipe?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'm not sure if it is normal to frequency shift up or down. Most articles don't say and can only find one which said a unit shifted 5Hz higher.

I'm very conscious that perception of pitch is complex. Shepard tone is a good an example!

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Yes, and I seem to remember getting a frequency-drop effect by clapping my hands at the entrance to a redundant canal tunnel. I'll have to try that again and record it.

Several people have commented that movement is essential for creating doppler shift, but changes in the path length are the real underlying cause. Normally the change in path length could only be produced by movement of the observer, the source or the reflector, but I am wondering if the effect of a moving reflector could be created by successively reflecting from multiple stationary reflectors at progressively increasing distances.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

I have only once noticed the direction of shift; that was in a really bad system, made conspicuous by its mis-operation. It shifted down - and reminded me of water going down a plug-hole.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

That would be equivalent to running a signal through multiple delay lines and summing the result. That doesn't create any new frequencies.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Only if you are looking for another joke based om oriental people's inability to distinguish "l" and "r" sounds...

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Right no new frequencies, but it can change the perceived sound.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

A transient standing wave effect with the null points moving around in space would produce an amplitude modulation at the listener's position and that does create new frequencies.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Culverts under highways work too. You get a sound that is chirped.. the higher frequencies have a longer path length. (Well in detail it's more complicated than that.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold