Doppler Radar

Back in the '60s and early '70s I did some work with Impatt and Gunn diodes, building a little self-detecting doppler for speed sensing. However, 35 years have passed and my notebooks for that stuff are somewhere in a dusty archive along with my venerable sliderule.

Is there a cheap source for onesies-twosies of a radar front-end that will give me doppler audio as a function of a large metal object's speed at a range of 20 meters or so? I don't need to go into production on this thing, just build one. A surplus source would be ideal.

It seems that the little kids on our rural country lane have all become teenagers at once and are trying to outdo the others in how fast they can drive daddy's car up and down the lane. We've lost one dog this week and unless I can put up some sort of a siren that goes off when they exceed some agreed upon limit, the carnage will continue.

Regards,

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

Neither should little kids, but poo happens. With dogs it's "I'm sorry". With kids it's manslaughter.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

Ramsey makes a kit. You can find the info here:

Danny, K6MHE

email: k6mhearrlnet

Dan Richardson

IIRC I've seen police radar guns as surplus.

It's been quite a few years ago now, so I don't recall the details, but I bought a "sports gun" for my youngest that he used at dragster events. I think it was about $100.

...Jim Thompson

Why would I care if it triggered a radar detector? In fact, it would be BETTER if it didn't trigger a detector.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Peter, thanks, but they are a bit pricey for what I have in mind.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

What illegal? I can either retune it for a ham band or reduce power if necessary. I'll find the hardware first and figure out the legal later.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

He's not trying to set off detectors, he's trying to set a speed threshold where a siren goes off.

But what the heck, if you're going to set up an illegal transmitter, might as well use one big enough to reset the ECM in their cars.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

A) We aren't in a "town", rather we are pretty far out into the country.

B) It is a private dead-end road owned in mutual easement between the four families that live at the end of it about half a mile off the county road that serves it. The county mounties have nothing to say about what goes on on the road.

C) I realize that this is newsnet and anything goes, but why can't you just ATFQ?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

Do a looksie on E-Pay, cheap old style X and K band units are available. With a 12vDC power supply, you can have your very own source. Even if you just buy the head without the counter, the 12vdc will supply the head and it will put out.

Do NOT purchase the Ramsey "kit" for this applicaiton. While it may be fun for a budding electronics wanna-be, it does not put out at a frequency that will trigger radar detectors.

Jack

Reply to
Rather Play Pinball

Go to your local police department and have them monitor the speeders with a automated speed display unit. What! they don't have one in your town? bring it up at the next town meeting... ;)

Reply to
maxfoo

What a fu**ing jerk. I asked a technical question in a technical newsgroup. I expect a technical answer.

As to your political and ethical questions to my question, go find another newsgroup to tell others how to live. Our little tiny community knows how to do it, we all agree on the problem, and we're going to solve it. I'm providing the technical know-how.

And don't tell me how to use local law enforcement or local political action how to do it. I've spent 12 years of my life in local elective office at the highest local levels. I don't need your unsolicited advice on how to work the system.

Please, no more of this crap. Anybody with a source for doppler radars, please post. Others, BUTT OUT.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

What a fu**ing jerk. I asked a technical question in a technical newsgroup. I expect a technical answer.

As to your political and ethical questions to my question, go find another newsgroup to tell others how to live. Our little tiny community knows how to do it, we all agree on the problem, and we're going to solve it. I'm providing the technical know-how.

And don't tell me how to use local law enforcement or local political action how to do it. I've spent 12 years of my life in local elective office at the highest local levels. I don't need your unsolicited advice on how to work the system.

Please, no more of this crap. Anybody with a source for doppler radars, please post. Others, BUTT OUT.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

You are one of the idiots I don't ever want to live next to. We can talk to the parents until we are blue in the face and the kids are going to be ... kids.

Please butt out of this conversation.

Ji

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

That's because "Brian", an "experienced investigator" hasn't ever seen ALB, although laymen such as I can translate it rather easily.

Brian is a jerknose.

Jim

.com

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

four

road

goes on

So go have a talk with the parents in the other three families and ask them to get control of their kids. Better yet, send the responsible ones a bill for your new dog.

--
James T. White
Reply to

Yep they are available. I have about a dozen or so of Gunn units that came from

10 GHz door opening bits They have the Gunn diode and a detector diode. The rest of the electronics I threw away.

Two of them can be sent for the cost of postage.

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

I realize this is way off the subject, and I do honestly wish you success in getting the neighborhood speed demons under control, but...

as a bicyclist, I find it necessary to point out... that if the neighborhood dogs are being hit by speeders, those dogs are obviously in the road. They shouldn't be.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66

I saw a radar gun for sale at Radio Shack....

Mark

Reply to
Mark

because this is newsnet and anything goes. ;)

Reply to
maxfoo