Does this IR product exist, or could something be built?

Hi,

Let's say you have an A/V cabinet with 8 copies of the same device. Could be a DVD, VCR, CD Player, whatever. All devices are the same brand and model number, and are controlled by an IR-based remote control.

For this description lets say these are all CD players.

You want to change the track on one of the players in the stack, with the remote control. You do not want to change a thing on any of the other seven. And you need this functionality to happen from 10 - 15 feet away, so walking up to the stack and putting the remote an inch away from the IR receiver is out.

Is there some kind of device that would enable this functionality? The only thing I can think of is to put IR targets in different physical positions around the room, and relay the signals to each device. But that is a pain when all your equipment is in a single rack.

Does something to solve this problem exist, or could it be built using STAMPs, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
bruce.gettel

All I can think of is a mechanical arrangement that pulls a shield away from the IR receiver of the device you want to talk to -- but then you'd need another remote to talk to the controller for the switch.

Perhaps there are some pro audio equipment that support IR addressing?

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

I certainly could build something like this, but it wuold not be cheap... Think along the lines of a device that receives all the remote inputs, and that device routes the codes to the desired unit. Each unit's IR input port would only be able to see the device's output port. So with the remote you'd have to press a button to start the process, then a number for the unit, then the command for that unit.

Reply to
PeterD

Addressable repeaters came to mind.

IR light IR Xmitter-------address 1-------->IR in>IR out>CD1 +------address 2-------->IR in>IR out>CD2 +------address 3-------->IR in>IR out>CD3 . . . Block each CD IR receiver with an addressable IR repeater. Each repeater has a IR detector, IR LED + other goodies.

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

Keep it simple. Use fiber-optic cables to extend each CD player's IR port, terminating at one of N holes drilled into a panel of wood located at your control panel. Each hole provides a target for you to independently aim your remote at close range. You may have to reduce the signal strength (possibly using aluminum foil and some tape) to eliminate crosstalk between the holes or across the room.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Peter,

Thanks for your response. Is the high cost in the build or in the design of the circuitry?

Reply to
Reactor

D,

Thanks for the response. Do these addressable repeaters exist, or would it have to be custom built? If they exist can you point me to a source?

Reply to
Reactor

Keep it simple. Use fiber-optic cables to extend each CD player's IR port, terminating at one of N holes drilled into a panel of wood located at your control panel. Each hole provides a target for you to independently aim your remote at close range. You may have to reduce the signal strength (possibly using aluminum foil and some tape) to eliminate crosstalk between the holes or across the room.

-- Joe

Joe,

Thanks for your response. This is in interesting and certainly very inexpensive solution. A little more clunky than my client will want, but if there's no other way . . . . .

Reply to
Reactor

By the way everyone, I posted under two aliases when I shouldn't have. Apologies.

Bruce.

Reply to
Reactor

I believe it's a custom thing. But who knows, something might pop up from a Google search. Same goes for the RC transmitter.

Gave it some more thought... wires IR light |-->IR LED>>CD 1 IR Xmitter->address + code-->central receiver+-->IR LED>>CD 2 |-->IR LED>>CD 3

Block all the IR detectors on all the CD's with an IR LED. Let a single receiver do all the work.

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

A lens could concentrate and collimate the ir from a single remote, so it hit only one receiver. Add a laser pointer for fun.

John

Howsabout a backwards solution?

Put an IR LED directly in front of each device's receiver. Initially all 8 LEDs will emit a signal. Maybe DC would be enough, or maybe you need to modulate it at 30 or 40 KHz. Anyway, it's enough so that no device can understand any IR coming from anywhere else; they're all completely swamped by the LEDs you've added. You put a little tube around the jammer LEDs, so that each one only jams its own CD player. But both ends of the tube are open so that IR from the room can still get to the CD player's IR receiver.

At your easy chair you have a special IR remote, with 8 buttons on it. When you push button #1 on this second remote, it causes the "jamming" LED on CD player #1 to turn off. Now you can happily push whatever buttons you want to on any one copy of the remote that would ordinarily control all 8 CD players and only CD player #1 will respond, because the rest of them are still blinded.

Etc.

So what you have to build is this remote-controlled 8-channel IR jammer.

--
Gordon S. Hlavenka           http://www.crashelectronics.com
               It\'s bad luck to be superstitious

Google for IR router

Reply to
bg

device.

same

remote

stack, with

of the

10 - 15

an inch

functionality?

different

each

single

built using

You can install small incandescent lamps near each IR receiver. A 6V bulb run from 12V will last more or less forever and will glow visiblly (but mostly infra red) and will 'blind' the adjacent IR receiver.

How you select which device isn't blinded is another issue, but the basic technique may be useful.

Keith
Reply to
Keith

BG,

Thanks! I Googled just about everything BUT router. Found it within seconds.

Reply to
Reactor

Thanks for the responses everyone. I found what I need and appreciate your efforts.

Reply to
Reactor

Huh... A blank out selection method. I got a spin off idea..

Reply to
D from BC

t if

Oh, there's a client. Use anodized aluminum instead of wood.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris