Does anybody know if all 5 pin XLR connectors are the same?

Does anybody know if all 5 pin XLR connectors are the same? I was planning to use 5 pin XLR for interface to some equipment (data and power). I can get chassis female cheap on ebay, and those are marked as for DMX Intercom,X5Fs. I need the male connectors too, but the ones I can get are marked as for ADCOM Intercom DMX,M5 There are others that are marked as ADCOM DMX Car Audio 1018

Of course things have to fit together, so do all 5 pin XLRs fit together, or is there some index or something?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

power).

wiki says xlr is covered by this:

nsf/Artnum_PK/31858 so I'd think they are all the same

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

"Jan Panteltje"

** All 5 pin " XLRs" have the same dimensions and fit each other.

There are many brands and quality, ruggedness and longevity vary widely.

Neutrik and Alcatel are the leading ones here in Australia.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

r,

only ever used neutrik, the alcatel looks similar it is a real nice connector great strain relief, easy to assemble much better than the old switchcraft which had small screws and such

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

On a sunny day (Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:22:46 +1100) it happened "Phil Allison" wrote in :

Thanks Phil. Yes, and Neutrix is very expensive here (10 Euro for a chassis 5 pin female). I can get the 5 pin chassis females on ebay 4 for 10 $ with free shipping. ebay item number 180671709503 They have many different XLRs, also by the hundreds etc.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:39:14 -0700 (PDT)) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk" wrote in :

OK, thanks, see also my reply to Phil for the cheap ones I found on ebay.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:44:26 -0700 (PDT)) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk" wrote in :

Thanks.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

n"

er,

le).

.

they look ok, same for "ADCOM DMX Car Audio 1018" they look the same as neutrik

but the "ADCOM Intercom DMX,M5" I would stay away from, it has that horrible system with a screw to assemble it

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

On a sunny day (Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:45:48 -0700 (PDT)) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk" wrote in :

Well, I just ordered 4. Never mind, I have a screwdriver. :-) They were cheaper than the other 5 pole male.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

but they are ugly ;)

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

On a sunny day (Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:19:45 -0700 (PDT)) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk" wrote in :

Yes they are, and I have this sort of idea that something that looks nice also works better... But there were 3 reasons I selected these:

1) all metal, so people can stand on those no problem. 2) more shielding because of all metal. 3) cheaper.

If it works out that I am wrong then I will get the other ones. These are already on their way.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

works better...

I don't know about current products, but we found that Cannon were the best for arduous / on the road use, though expensive. The switchcraft had poor quality contacts and became intermittent, while the Neutric had the best cable grip and support.

Contact spring quality varies widely, probably most related to price...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

On a sunny day (Fri, 28 Oct 2011 14:00:53 +0000) it happened ChrisQ wrote in :

also works better...

I have seen this with D type connectors. The cheap female ones wre just phosfor bronze split hollow pipes, only touching at the point, while the real IIRC Amphenol females has a real steel spring around the female part to create constant tension and large surface contact.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje