do you know science?

us

The

More than 50% of the moon is visible from one point on the Earth. It doesn't matter that the Earth is larger.

Because there is no infinity.

Reply to
krw

Rhode Island and Maryland?

Reply to
George Herold

ge

rate

wing us

ble. =A0The

bit

Thanks Sylvia, As Phil H. pointed out you've got to loose energy in the system and keep the total angular momentum constant. Eventualy the Earth stops slowing down gets locked with the moon... And that's the end of tides. Does that happen before the sun goes nova?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yes, good point -- those do benefit from some qualifiers.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Hit the cement. Less KE in the impact

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

RichD expounded in news:dad1e430-5e02-4d79-9e87- snipped-for-privacy@o14g2000prb.googlegroups.com:

You get everything fixed and workin', pay off the bills and you finaly save up some money for something fun.

Then your car/truck Service Engine Soon light will come on.

Scientific fact.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

Richard Henry expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@y35g2000prc.googlegr oups.com:

..

A clairvoyant postpones a show, due to "unforeseen circumstances".

Warren

Reply to
Warren

OK, candidates for the "smarter than Einstein" prize. The answer is "it makes no difference". To claim your prize use physics and relevant facts of the "experiment" to explain why.

As we can see above, "Dirk" is already a loser...or is that "looser"?

Reply to
Benj

1) A nova is an effect associated with accretion and binary stars.
2) Our low-mass star is destined for a very sedate retirement, gradually becoming a dwarf.
*-solar-masses%22
Reply to
JeffM

The Sun's history and future

Mr Knowledgeable Helium

The Sun (properly known as Sol) is a star located at the center of our solar system. The sun itself makes up 99.8% of our solar system's mass. There are eight planets, 3 dwarf planets, and numerous other objects such as asteroids and comets that orbit the sun. The Sun consists of mostly hydrogen and helium, which it uses as fuel to keep burning.

Currently, the Sun is 4.5 bn y old. When the Sun is 10 bn y old, it will expand to become a red giant. When is becomes red giant, it will be 2k times larger and 100 times brighter than it currently is today. This growing Sun will engulf the 2 inner planets, Mercury and Venus. The scientific consensus is that the red giant will also swallow the Earth. The Earth's future along with the expanding sun is still unsure because recent scientific models suggest that the Earth will be spared this awful fate and will move out to a farther orbit. Whether or not the Earth will be swallowed by the Sun, life will be inhospitable on Earth in 500 mn years.

Since the Sun not a very large star, it will not die in the very large explosions known as a supernova. Instead, the Sun will slowly shed its outer layers, which will become the beginnings of a planetary nebula (a cloud of gas). Then, only the Sun's core will remain as a white dwarf. This white dwarf will be dramatically smaller than the current size of the sun, and will remain in space with just a white glow. This white dwarf will continue to glow for billions of years; all the while slowly becoming fainter.

It is theorized that after the white dwarf stage, the white dwarf will become a black dwarf in about one trillion years. This black dwarf will emit almost no (if any) light or heat. This small body of mass will just remain in space.

MYREF: 20110218111331 msg2011021813569

[107 more news items]
--
This ***global warming**** appears to be HIGHLY LOCALISED!
  -- BONZO@27-32-240-172 [86 nyms and counting], 5 Feb 2011 21:59 +1100

I must admit that I opened this post in order to make a killfile, After reading this post, I decided to postpone so as to find out what kind of vacuous replies would be posted.

Aside from the usual ambiguity, I presume item 2 implies a relative collision velocity of 80 mph. The answer in the quote is plain wrong. Even with good energy absorption, the lighter car ends up with a greater backward momentum when bouncing off of a large oppositely moving object than a stationary one.

It my be asking a lot of Benj, but try conserving momentum with a restitution coefficient for the energy.

Bill

--
An old man would be better off never having been born.
Reply to

us

The

Not quite. There are still tidal effects from the Sun. It looks to me as if the comabined Earth-Moon system would eventually have to be tidally locked to the Sun [*], so the tidal effects would have to bring the Moon closer to the Earth.

[*] Except that before that happened, the Moon would come within its Roche limit and break up.

I think others are correct in saying that the sun is too small to go nova. However, it is gradually heating up, and the Earth will become uninhabitable long before the Earth is locked to the moon.

We have about a billion years to figure out a solution, and the politicians will agree to fund the necessary research in 999,999,980 years time.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

That's true.

A red giant blowing off its photosphere as a planetary nebula is _not_ a sedate event, at least not if you're seeing it from within a light year or so. It's not a supernova, but it's dramatic enough that I don't want to be anywhere nearby.

Of course I probably won't be.

Cheers

Phil "Astronomer in a former life" Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Pick the car.

The centre-of-mass-frame energy per vehicle is equivalent, so in a world populated by frictionless spherical cows the two cases are the same.

However, in reality the frames of the cars will buckle asymmetrically so that your personal velocity won't go from 40 MPH to zero in half a car length--the cars will wind up spun around some, which will probably improve your chance of survival.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Heat it up until the salt melts and the sand settles out.

Some sort of agitation and centrifuging technique?

Microscope and tweezers?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Science?

Reply to
Sylvia Else

That would be the smallest of the two identical cars, presumably.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

message

on rate

howing us

obble. =A0The

orbit

Yeah, I thought about that.. but those were thoughts on the stairs, or after the enter key.

Hmm OK, I thought it was called a nova when a sol sized star runs out of hydrogen, collapses and then..can fuse Helium and ?other elements? for a brief while which causes a big blow-off. (not called a nova and certainly not to be confused with a super nova)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

How fast is the block of cement moving?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Phil Hobbs wrote:

Another response to this (well, after a fashion; the threading is all screwy for me) news:4d5db9b4$0$13390$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au said: :Whether or not the Earth will be swallowed by the Sun, :life will be inhospitable on Earth in 500 mn years. : What occurred to me was that after ~100,000 years of our species' existence, with our fouling our own nest by turning non-renewable energy sources into pollution, I'm wondering if humans will survive even to the next millennium.

Reply to
JeffM