do you know science?

Clouds go dark before they drop their rain. That is cloud aether in time.

Mitch Raemsch

Reply to
The future of science

Another:

The coffee percolator, anybody remember them? A pot, center tube, basket supported abover the tube. Pour water into the pot, coffee in the basket, power on, 5 minutes later: coffee.

How does it work?

I'd guess 4 out of 5 can't answer this.

-- Rich

Reply to
RichD

Five minutes? You must have had the nuclear powered version.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I think the same principle as Old Faithful, but with a much shorter cycle time. ;-)

And I have a suspicion that something very similar is going on in "gas" refrigerators, where they achieve cooling by supplying heating. ?:-\

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

He sounds worse than all these poorly raised,unintelligent punks in the workforce these days.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

Uhhh... by way of percolation. Duh. That is why they were called percolators.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Of course the same word is used to describe how septic tank drainage fields work. You'll have to do better than that to make sure you get the right brown liquid when you're done. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

| >Surely you are not suggesting that Androcles is a physicist! | >

| > Androcles believes with all of his shrunken heart that a particle in | >uniform circular motion with respect to an inertial frame of reference | >is undergoing _tangential_ acceleration. | >

| >He does not uinderstand a direct demonstration made by taking two | >derivatives, since he also believes that calculus is not well founded | >logically, since it requires division by zero. | >

| >He has _fixed_ calculus with his "hypothesis" that there is a smallest | >number h greater than zero. (He means a real number, not an integer, | >although he could not define "real.") | >

| >When presented with a counter-example, such as h/2, he replies that | >that is not allowed, since it violates his "hypothesis." This, he | >says, is "proof by contradiction." | >

| >Uncle Ben | >

| He sounds worse than all these poorly raised,unintelligent punks in the | workforce these days.

Surely you are not suggesting that Uncle Bonehead Green is a physicist!

Bonehead believes with all of his dessicated neuron in Einstein Contraction, yet his tin god says

"Let there be given a stationary rigid rod; and let its length be L as measured by a measuring-rod which is also stationary. We now imagine the axis of the rod lying along the axis of x of the stationary system of co-ordinates, and that a uniform motion of parallel translation with velocity v along the axis of x in the direction of increasing x is then imparted to the rod. We now inquire as to the length of the moving rod" -- Einstein "The length to be discovered by the operation (b) we will call ``the length of the (moving) rod in the stationary system.''"-- Einstein

"This we shall determine on the basis of our two principles, and we shall find that it differs from L." -- Einstein.

AND THE ANSWER IS...

"xi = (x-vt)/sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2)" -- Einstein.

Yep, xi differs from L, Greek letters differ from Roman letters.

In agreement with experience we further assume the deranged babbling incompetent cretin couldn't answer his own inquiry, he was too stupid to realise xi is greater than L when he wrote 'for v=c all moving objects--viewed from the "stationary'' system--shrivel up into plane figures', whereas his own equation shows they stretch to infinity... sqrt(1-c^2/c^2) = 0.

"But the ray moves relatively to the initial point of k, when measured in the stationary system, with the velocity c-v" - Einstein "the velocity of light in our theory plays the part, physically, of an infinitely great velocity" - Einstein. "In agreement with experience we further assume the quantity

2AB/(t'A -tA) = c to be a universal constant--the velocity of light in empty space." -- Einstein He was right. The distance from A to A divided by the time it takes to get there is undefined. Anyone that divides by zero is a lunatic.
Reply to
Androcles

- at

nty

Yes, that's a problem. I usually confine the heat to one small room with a 1KW space heater. Runs about 10 to 15 cents an hour. The other rooms freeze.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Higher energy use appears to me to have positive correlation with higher availability of modern medical practices. The correlator here appears to me to be economic activity. Sedentary lifestyle generates a significant part of the need for some modern medical practices.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

In , Martin Brown wrote in part:

I would agree that a major part of the problem in Western countries is too much junk food, too much caloric intake in general, and not enough veggies.

However, I seem to think that an average Japanese worker is not as sedentary as a lot of Americans like to be. I'm under the impression that Japanese walk more and drive less than Americans to go to stores to buy things, and spend less time sitting in front of the TV than Americans do. Also, I remember Japanese culture having group exercise periods in their workplaces.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

No difference to DimBulb.

Reply to
krw

My single-cup maker works in a similar manner, except that the water falls into the cup instead of recirculating.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Aren't all "Mr. Coffee" style coffee makers the same deal?

Reply to
krw

In sci.skeptic Don Klipstein wrote: ...

Within developed countries medical procedures and drugs are approx equally available. There are a priori arguments that level of energy usage would make a given procedure/drug cheaper (economy of scale) but OTOH more expensive (higher energy intensity).

As a second point, medical authorities generally say that bad diet and low levels of physical activity can't be compensated by medical procedures/drugs. Haven't we all seen warnings the next generation threatens to have a lower life expectancy than the current generation despite all the miracle medical advances?

If you remove transport energy from the comparisons I've been illustrating there generally is no significant association between life expectancy and energy consumption per capita. Thus arguing more for (lack of) physical activity as a more important factor in health problems than lack of 5 fruit+5 veg every day.

--
[Complainer's syndrome:]
What, exactly, are you complaining about. [...] So, what's the complaint?

[on the working principles of an electric percolator coffeemaker]

Percolation is the part of the operation where hot liquid trickles through the grounds. I think it was the controlled temperature and steady flow of liquid that needs an explanation, not the flow-with-gravity part.

One of my back-burner projects was to make a tightly regulated heat/water delivery system, with only glass contacting the liquid, for an easy-clean coffeemaker. Professor coffee! I never got around to it, but my grinding of coffee beans in a dry nitrogen atmosphere worked out well. That glove box was almost completely radiation free, honest! I checked!

Reply to
whit3rd

All I know is that I drink better coffee every day than any of you do.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

Interesting. Faraday knew more about candle chemistry than I do, in 1860.

However, he still didn't know what flame is, which is understandable, as Maxwell's theory was still in the future.

But the point of these questions is to find out what Joe Blow knows about the world around him, a/k/a/ science. From my informal surveys, he knows little more than the ancients, even of the basics.

Aristotle thought fire is a kind of fluid, and so do the 'educated' today. Watch the flame emerge from a cigarette lighter, it does appear to be a fluid squirting out.

Although there has been some progress - solar eclipses are a popular travel gimmick, we no longer toss virgins into volcanos to appease the gods -

-- Rich

Reply to
RichD

You have a far different definition of "better", ScatMan.

Reply to
krw

RichD wrote in news:b8efe900-5e56- snipped-for-privacy@z27g2000prz.googlegroups.com:

It has been conclusively proved - by thousands of experiments! - that the beating of tom-toms will restore the sun after an eclipse :-)

Regards,

Reply to
nemo_outis