Do Opto-isolators degrade with time?

A recent post on Time-Nuts claims opto-isolators degrade with time:

------------------------------------------------------------------- Glenn Little WB4UIV glennmaillist at bellsouth.net Sun Oct 1 14:23:41 EDT 2017

Opto-isolators degrade with time. The "optically clear" material between the emitter and detector will start turning opaque with time. At least this is what my boss told me years ago. We has a product that used opto-isolators to isolate our circuits from phone lines. After a few years of use, the boards started failing. When we measured the transfer characteristics of the opto-isolators, we found them to be degraded. Replaced the opto-isolators and the boards functioned again. Could have been a design error on our boards, who knows.

Opto-isolators ate cheap.

Replace it and see what happens.

Any and all parts are suspect, some more than others. To me, it would be physically damaged parts, electrolytic capacitors, opto-isolators, solid state devices then other parts.

73 Glenn

------------------------------------------------------------------- This was confirmed in a follow-up post:

------------------------------------------------------------------- Bryan _ bpl521 at outlook.com Sun Oct 1 17:05:59 EDT 2017

Can second that, had a Tek 2465B scope with a faulty power supply. Only with the help of others more experienced in these repairs it was found to be a faulty opto-isolater that had degraded over time.

-=Bryan=-

Can anyone confirm this? Is it only in analog circuits and not digital?

For example, the voltage regulation in many PC power supplies is a TL431 driving an opto-isolator. These power supplies seem to run forever.

Thanks for any info.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

They do, but if you design your circuit correctly (considering temperature derating for the emitter, and one half of the minimum CTR for the detector) they will reach their specified MTBF without problems.

--
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto.
Reply to

Is the degredation due to the LED or the clear material turning opaque?

Reply to
Steve Wilson

The LEDs themselves degrade over time. Lower current makes for longer life.

If there is any degradation of the clear epoxy, high LED current will cause local heating and make that worse.

So, keep the LED current low.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

but high enough that as the CTR drops with age yo still have enough output current

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yup.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

put power (Pc) and forward current (If), the current gain (hfe) of the phototransistor, and the ambient tempera- ture. The CTR of devices within a given product family can vary considerably."

Thanks. No mention of optics degredation, only LED output power with time.

That's what I thought.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

I'm not sure, but I would guess that if the LED is driven correctly, the degradation of the junction is by far the major cause. If you over-drive the LED is is possible that the heat will affect the plastics too.

The operating life for most LEDs is specified when the light output falls at 50% or 70% of its nominal (initial) value. That's why if you consider a half of the minimum specified CTR you should be safe.

--
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto.
Reply to
dalai lamah

Yup, they do. The LED's output drops with time (especially if you drive it hard to overcome the putrid current transfer ratio), and the goop inside the package turns yellow from heat or age or both.

I expect the cheap'n'nasty Chinese ones are probably worse, but I don't know for sure.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Fig 6. But that might vary a lot between different types.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I am wondering when I should replace my bicycle headlights. They run the LED flat-out, I ride with daytime lights, and I ride a lot. I guess since it's so gradual I won't notice.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, if the plastics in there would turn brown they should fire their chief chemist :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I think the actual failure mechanism is just a decrease of the LED's output. If you run the LED at very high current (over 10 mA) then it degrades faster.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yes, I think so also.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

I did a survey of optocouplers. The ones that talked about degredation referred only to the LED, and none mentioned degredation in the optical coupling.

There are a number of different constructions. Ones where the die lay side- by-side use a silicone lens using total internal reflection to couple the light. It is not clear if silicone degrades with time.

Some use clear epoxy. I would suspect this may degrade with time, but it could take a long time.

Other constructions have the die facing each other. These include a barrier sheet between them for high voltage isolation. The barrier could be several different materials, including mylar, polyamide, glass and so on. There doesn't seem to be a degredation of optical coupling with time.

The problem with optical coupling degredation is presumably the degredation would continue even when the LED was turned off. Nobody seems to refer to this effect.

So the main effect seems to be LED degredation with current, time, and temperature.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Not until you wake up in hospital.......

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Well, I try never to out-run my lights. This is why I have these powerful lights so I can keep a reasonable speed at night. Sometimes I compare the road bike light with the mountain bike light of same type. On the road bike it is used a lot more because it is always on when I ride, day or night.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I assume that's some sort of thermal thing, If you could keep your led's cool....

(We need to have artist's design, cool, cheap heat sinks/light shades, for our led bulbs... something 'prettier' than the James A. beer can. :^)

George H . (a bit of a shift to consumer led's.)

Reply to
George Herold

.

The LEDs of decades ago could dim 30% in a year: nowadays, with high current densities in illumination type LEDs, there MUST have been bunches of treatments/solutions to the aging woes. Alas, data on aging of LEDs comes mainly from old assemblies, so the longevity of a modern buy (off a modern assembly line, with possibly a modern redesign) is probably good, but not easy to quantify.

If an IR LED in an isolator uses the same optical coatings as a white LED, it won't yellow nearly as much ( blue photons can create more kinds of photodegradation of polymers than IR can).

Reply to
whit3rd

A good light meter, and a monthly wipe-the-lens-and-aim-at-a-white-wall exercise would tell you a lot. I did some A/B in the old days, and was pleasantly surprised with a variety of incandescents did almost exactly the lighting they promised (so halogen won, having the best aging curve).

I was also surprised to find a bad monitor (backlight uneven from top to bottom) was almost impossible to see by eye, even though a light meter showed me

3 dB dimming.

Some of the "LED flat-out" circuits I've seen use current limiters with thermal limiting ( AMC7135) which will complicate the measurement, BUT they control peak current which might be a saving grace. Assemblies available here:

... or pick up a JANSJO at Ikea, those lamps use similar modules (~4V 700 mA power).

Reply to
whit3rd