Do I want a cellphone tower on my property?

Dunno. It says "Verizon 5G" on the permit. The pole looks like something half way between a pico-cell and a micro-cell. These classifications are not rigid and there's plenty of room for creativity.

The VZW web pile isn't much help:

Verizon is using 28GHz. If you happen to have a microwave receiver or spectrum analyzer handy, you can do some sniffing and direction finding to locate other sites.

Unfortunately, I have no clue what hardware is on that pole and what manner of antenna (omni, sector, phased array, beam forming, gain, etc) is being used, so I can't run any calculations for estimating the range.

Of course, there's nothing to stop you from installing a big parabolic dish reflector at your location, put your 5G radio at the focus, and aim it at the 5G pole. Alignment will be super critical, but I think it can be done. Do you have line of sight? If not, forget it.

"5G mmWave: Facts and fictions you should definitely know" Base stations will likely offer up to a kilometer of directed coverage, although 500 meters (~1,500 feet) is probably a safer bet, after taking into account obstacles and foliage.

"Millimeter Wave 5G: The Usain Bolt of Wireless?" ...the consensus from multiple people I spoke to at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona was that mobile 5G on millimeter wave would have a range of 100 meters to 200 meters, or 328 feet to 656 feet.

Looks like you're a bit too far.

I predict a revival of the do-it-thyself Wi-Fi reflector range extenders, except at 24 to 40Ghz frequencies:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Nope. I've posted the incidence of various cancers versus year and age several times in this newsgroups. If there was a connection between cell phone exposure and cancer, it would have appeared in the graph in about 1990, when cell phone use increased dramatically. Instead, the graphs by year are flat showing no correlation. Whether that can be extended to include mm wave exposure is questionable. I suspect it might be much the same as lower frequencies, but have no evidence, yet. Want me to repost the relevant graphs and URL's?

I could use it. All I have in front of my house are 200ft high redwood trees. No street lights within about 2 miles. I guess that also means no 5G for many years.

So do I.

If connectivity speeds were frozen in time at DSL rates about 10 years ago, how long would it have taken for you to demand more bandwidth? You don't feel the need right now because the current available bandwidths match your current needs. However, the value of any new technology is determined by how it is abused and misused. Use your imagination as to how you can abuse gigabit bandwidth and 10msec latency.

Want to build a non-autonomous avatar robot that does your shopping for you? Maybe the same thing in the form of a remote manipulator?

Action at a distance has always been the dream of many science fiction writers. Given low latency and lots of bandwidth, it can be done. Are you ready for 3D TV in high-K resolution? Just 3 high speed cameras, a 3D display system, some sensory feedback, and it's almost like you were there in person. Virtual tourism perhaps? Walk around the inside of a nuclear reactor? 5G sex? Telemedicine? No problem.

My devious mind can't seem to conjure any potential abuses of gigabit bandwidths right now. However, I'm sure more caffeine and trying harder will produce sufficient bandwidth abuses to change your mind.

The surest signs of success are abuse and pollution. YouTube is certainly successful.

Our personalities develop and improve to the point where we're comfortable. Then, we stop growing for fear of losing it all. I stopped at about age 23. When new technology is no longer interesting (or tolerable) and you find yourself delving in retro-technology, nostalgia, back to the farm, and such, you've lost your will to grow. The price of progress is never ending change, even for things that for the moment function quite well.

All my postings are rants. My rants never end. That's fine because when someone stops complaining (or ranting), I assume that they're either satisfied with things as they are and don't need any more changes, or have given up trying to change things. The first step to changing something is to complain about it.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Why is a sensitivity adjustment required ?

A proper meter should have a logarithmic rectifier so that the result

Even better, it should have an analog scale, say from -60 dBV/m to +60 dBV/m. This would create less panic in uneducated users.

IMHO, also ionized radiation should be measured with a logarithmic scale to avoid panic :-)

Reply to
upsidedown

Sigh. If it's that sensitive, my guess(tm) is that it measures peak power instead of average power. If the RF signal has any type of duty cycle involved, such as TDMA cellular, half duplex radio, or Wi-Fi, you'll see a rediculously high indication which has little relationship to actual RF exposure. If you installed a filter cap after the detector to produce something resembling averaging, the meter would barely detect anything.

Oddly, some models recognize the problem and offer a peak/average switch: It might actuallly do something useful, but I haven't tested one.

In a fit of temporary insanity, I bought one of these DT-1130 EMF meters: It's good for detecting AC power lines, switching power supplies, motors, and little else. It will detect older TDMA and GSM phones, but won't detect CDMA or 4G phones. No way does it work up to 2GHz. Looks like it might make a nice project box.

If you're really worried about exceeding some RF exposure limit, I suggest that you build or buy something that works and can be calibrated.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

On a sunny day (Sun, 09 Jun 2019 11:03:19 -0700) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Is that not a simplification? I mean it is not only cancers, I could imagine brain damage like what's it called Adult onset diabetes. Arthritis. Kidney and bladder problems. Dementia. Parkinson's disease. Glaucoma. Lung disease. Cataracts. (cut and paste from google 'old age illnesses') have those been checked against RF exposure? One could reason those appear in the same time frame? Personally I would expect the neural system to be a sensitive spot.

I dunno, I grab google if I want to know something, wikipedia, science papers.

Google changed our way of learning in a fantastic positive way, so does wikipedia, and so does Usenet. They should not fine google, IMHO. It is one of the best things we have.

Satellite? I stream HD movies from sat, we have hundreds of FTA sat channels here, so that is the download. Maybe if SpaceX provides a service...

There is this thing, I think it was discussed recently. there was a NEED foe cellphones, when I heard about those I wanted one, so much better than going to a phone booth... Be reachable anywhere..

Video phone never really took of as it was about 'contact' not about the picture so much. email was cool (SMS) because you could read it when you wanted, later you could add pictures, also very useful.

But the trend to ever higher resolution is coupled to ever more bandwidth, and is not so much needed, What IS needed is sunlight readable non reflective screens. But many people do not ever know what that is.

Sure, but I do not want a speaker in my room spying on me (Amazon) or my fridge ordering things, or even smart meters (they just placed a smart electricity and gas meter, then the new 'smart' gas meter was defective and leaking, it had to be replaced.

Will see when the first bills arrive if it is worse ..

There has to be a real NEED (sorry for the caps shouting) for things to really sell, not the artificial created needs, those do not last.

I have a 3D TV (Samsung) with high resolution, had it for years, no transmissions except one seen so far that support it here :-)

Sure when they do that star wars like holographic thing in color maybe.. That sort of thing will really take bandwidth... 1000 times more. Trends, I liked old movies better without those silly simulations, real explosives! Next will be artificial actors, artificial people, and AI writing the script. It will suck! Some of those 'almost real women robots' have eyes that frighten me :-)

Before you know you live in the matrix..

For me at least, and I think I am not so different from anyone else, the inspiration to design something new must come from a deeper longing to something. I'd call that motivation. I'v hacked things nobody could because I was motivated. The dangerous thing for this world is the 'motivated hacker'. I know about some guy, unfortunately for him he landed in jail last I heard, who was so .. good... he was a threat to Big Brother and likely also to a lot of Little Brothers.

We could be living on mars now, the tech has been there since Von Braun, but the motivation is not there in humanity.

The motivation

Maybe I am different, always when I sort of feel 'I got this now' I just quit, traveled the world, explored things, found something to make money with to be able to eat, next thing. This was not always appreciated by employers, some were really pissed I left after a few years.. But so much to learn, some journey, you only live once. But motivation, curiosity, is important, have some goal.

Life is not bad here, I have little to complain, old now, fun hobbies, yet I know if 'that thing happens that motivates' me all is possible.

In the end there is no free will, we are part of this universe, all those forces of that universe work on us, and from the subconscious upwards one day we will start on some adventure,,, yes it is all mechanical like a puppet on a string perhaps, we are just a wetware computer, with an illusion of self consciousness, It is 'there but for fortune' and always has been. Just like stars are born, and stars die,

oops getting into philosophy again..

I am sure past present and future are all known (to us), we are in cross field of those.

From MY experience.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 09 Jun 2019 11:34:31 -0700) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

I have build some RF detectors, but than it is all about the antennas.

You are in the boonies it seems, but here if I do a WiFi scan I see many many stations, some using boosters perhaps,

2.4 GHz everywhere.

That ebay thing in the link I posted does react to Wifi if close enough. Also to car keys, 433 MHz gadgets, phones, it does not pretend to do more.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 09 Jun 2019 21:23:17 +0300) it happened snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in :

Yes, well it is a detector (for bugs (electronic bugs that is) ), that is a yes / no signalling.

By setting the trigger level just below alarm you can make it extremely sensitive.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Doesn't look so good for me then, I have two small apartment buildings and two large auto repair buildings between my yard and the antenna. Time to scout for more antennas in the area. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

for.

There is zero purpose to discussing such issues with the uninformed and eve n less purpose to discussing this with someone who had already made up thei r minds on such evidence as "It is close to the same frequency that heats s tuff in your microwave." It shows literally no knowledge of the detailed s ubject, just a passing familiarity of the general concepts. In other words , "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

I just went for a ride and found 6 5G cell sites East of my home, all

1000ft to 2000 ft apart. The seem to follow a middle street between two major roads in town. Next trip I'll go West and see what I find.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

More people should see this: . It's instructive.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

On a sunny day (Sun, 9 Jun 2019 13:10:14 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Rick C wrote in :

You are here the usual clueless idiot you have no RF experience whatsoever, same with all the other 'opinions' you have.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

One common black pigment (iron oxide/hematite/magnetite) is a good absorber over a wide frequency range, and certainly at microwave frequencies. But it's BLACK, you'd probably not want that as your house paint color. Maybe as underlayer inside the house, though, it'd be feasible. Buy some tarps, masking tape and paper, rent a sprayer...

Reply to
whit3rd

You seem very negative about corporations, college tuition, and money. Corporations are not perfect, but without them we would not have many of the technologies we have today, we wouldn't have cheap and easily available food, depending on where your corporation size cutoff is, we may not have large highways and bridges, so many things are possible because huge amounts of money are brought together and used to develop so much of what we take for granted. On college tuition, why did you pick an out of state college, if you want to cut costs, go to a local community college, then switch to the in state university to finish your degree, you can work and go to college, so what if it takes you another 3 or 4 years. Money, well, as I tell everyone, start young, live well below* your income, invest your savings in American corporations via Vanguard total stock market fund, find ways to reduce your taxes, then enjoy the journey to critical mass/Financial Independence.

Mikek

  • 20%, 25% if you can.
Reply to
amdx

And an inspirational talk, (cursing involved)

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I don't believe in magic or that "positive thinking" or a "wealth mentality" has much of any bearing on one's success or lack thereof, no. I leave magic to the magicians and the gullible.

Reply to
bitrex

I never said anything about magic, I just think--- know, we have it very good in America. If you have a net worth of $30,000 you are in the top 1% in the world. We have every need we have easily met with just a little output. With more output, we have a surplus of time to do great or silly things. You can hate on corporations, but if we didn't have a desire to purchase their products they wouldn't survive. Universities have education goals that you must meet or you are not excepted, there are more people with the finances to go than actually get in, so apparently people can afford it, one way or another. Money, you can take two families give them $60k a year, one will live paycheck to paycheck, in debt and be broke at retirement the other will live more frugally, buy used cars, a smaller house and have $1M in 30 years and $2M at retirement. Both families can be happy, but the one with a retirement fund will be very content.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

The Right is justifiably skeptical of the university system but for the wrong reasons, IMO. The university system is a racket not because it teaches all those "snowflake subjects" that aren't engineering. There are many many worthy subjects that are taught in the university system, yes even "gender studies."

A population well-educated in what are historically called the "liberal arts and sciences" is in large part what Western Civilization is about. y'know. the classics.

It's a racket because, well, it's become a racket:

these were just the people who got caught. The racket is pay-for-play. All things are available for the right price. "education goals"?

You can pretty much always find a way to live beyond your means no matter how much income you have. Even rock stars making $10 mil/year can manage to blow through 50 in the same year. Even presidents can find a way to be $150 million in debt to the Germans. That people who try to live within their means tend to do better, on average, than the outcomes of those who don't is rather tautological.

The notion that needs to be put down is that there is some foolproof way to do everything "right" and always come out ahead. it's wrong. There are no such guarantees. America is full of people in poverty who did everything "right"

As far as the original topic is concerned - hey. It may be a great deal for the person in question. But as a guy who came up from a state of mostly nothing at age 25 to much more than nothing at age 40 I've learned a few things about business and life in general. When someone offers you what seems like easy money, at least take a moment and consider - why am I being offered this at this particular juncture and not my neighbor whose land is probably perfectly adequate place to put a cell tower, too.

If an attractive woman approaches you in a bar and says "I like you a lot" do you marvel at your good fortune or at least take a moment to wonder why she approached you as opposed to all the other single men sitting around like you are? Actually it's not a bad idea at all to just ask her that directly and see what she says. At the very least if her intentions are vaguely honest it will make you stand out as compared to all the other men she's recently told that to.

Reply to
bitrex

art

ge

like

er or

hink

it.

ldings

Are these small cell sites on telephone poles or the big tower type? 1000 feet seems awfully close for the bit towers.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C