do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH) - Page 4

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A,5mH)

it depends, on 2 things:

1. Hsat - if NI is too much, the core saturates. that'll probably get
you first

2. how much "no DC" there is :) Staircase saturation will eventually get
you if you use approximately zero, rather than exactly zero

and lets not forget the startup behaviour, which can result in 2x peak
working flux (unless it saturates, in which case it gets even worse.
Boingggg)

those aside, no you dont need a gap. But you will have a lot of "fun"
choosing core, turns and wire size to get L & R desired. then complicate
the crap out of it by selecting a maximum volume :)

And with steel or iron powder, L will be all over the show with current.

any core, it'll also vary a lot with temperature, and no doubt sock
colour too ;)

Cheers
Terry

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A,5mH)

I can't believe noone has yet asked at what frequency you want this
inductor to operate?

Line frequency, 10kHz-1MHz, and VHF bands are going to get you vastly
different constructions.  I'd like to see the air-core version myself.

Good day!

--
_____________________
Christopher R. Carlen

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:08:59 -0700, Chris Carlen

At Saft-Nife, They used to have 10ft tall, 4ft diameter single layer
coils used as loading elements. Played hell with wrist watches.

RL

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A,5mH)

one of our techs built a 1,000A LISN. the chokes were single-layer,
450mm diameter (drain pipe), about 1.5m long IIRC. plenty of Cu, too :)

Cheers
Terry

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

"Michael J. Noone"

**  Yep -  with an  E & I  laminated iron core about the size of a 20 to 30
VA mains transformer. Wound components like this are usually made to order
by firms that do small quantity transformer winding and repairs.

Such an inductior will have some degree of non-linearity with may or may not
matter in your application.

Site Timeline