Do distributors still program micros?

You can get even an 8 pin ATTiny 8 bit uP to flash its own program memory by way of a small ~512 byte bootloader that receives a binary on startup over a bit-(receive?)-bang "virtual" serial port, no problem

Reply to
bitrex

Aren't they Pogo pins?

Rick C.

Tesla referral code --

gnuarm.deletethisbit

The laser diode is sort of experimental--I expect the diode cost to drop pretty rapidly as volume increases.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

But with that series of parts if you have an SPI connection and can put VCC on the reset pin you don't need a bootloader at all.

Jasen Betts

put the JTAG pogo landing pads, or edge connector, or other printed connector on a snap-off tab that must be removed to fit the PCBA into the case.

Jasen Betts

Yes, distributors still offer that as a service. It only makes sense with bigger quantities, or unusual circumstances (such as a board that is too small to have a JTAG connector). It's a pain when the software changes, and it is awkward to track multiple inventory.

Mostly we use JTAG programming. A handy device is the P&E Micro Cyclone

- you can use that for programming a variety of microcontrollers without having to be anchored to a PC.

Reply to
David Brown

You can put pads for the JTAG on the board and use a bed-of-nails test bench during programming. You don't even need the pads to be in the same place - they can be spread around the board, making hacking inconvenient.

And if you are not using a bed-of-nails testbench already, then your quantities are not high enough for the price of a connector to be a concern. (Though there are surely cheaper connectors available.)

Reply to
David Brown
.

Copper pads on the PCB and use 'POGO PINS' on a flying cable.

TTman

TTman wrote in news:pt0t3p$2q6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

GOLD 'pads'. PCB traces are gold nowadays. If you are still using copper traced layouts, you can also place a jtag header.

Bare copper pads? No. If the PCB is going to be 'accessed' via comtact pads, the PCB process needs to be gold.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Solder paste on the contact pads can give a good result. Pointed pogo pins dig into the solder and make good contact, cutting through any flux residues.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

We did ok with pogo pins on plain copper pcb. Some of the older jigs used sewing needles.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Say if you use Microchip Direct (Atmel or PIC products) you can get various programming services. For example for a PIC18F14K22-E/P cost is 0.17 ea in 1K-5K with some extra charges for T&R, ink dot, label etc. if you need those services.

IIRC their main stocking depot is in suburban Bangkok so that might be convenient.

In general though, it might be better to design and supply test fixtures with pogo pins which perform the programming as part of the test procedure. That also avoids any issues with last-minute changes to the program (not that it could ever happen..)

--Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff

ong

s to

Cathay's okay, but they compromised my information (just name and passport number but that's still disturbing) from a flight or two ago.

Never liked Bangkok, but northern Thailand is nice. In Chiang Mail you hear more Mandarin than Thai (let alone English or German) though.

--Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff

A good material control system, with a documented part numbering system and BOM standards and proper release standards and ECOs, is really necessary to keep from accumulating chaos.

Boards get designed, ECOd, built, tested, sold, and revised. Firmware can be changed in production or in the field. One of our products is at rev K, and we have to support every version (dash number) of every rev. We have to know what code is in every unit.

We need to be anchored to our server that stores all the formally released versions of all our firmware. But once that Cyclone gadget is loaded, it might be useful to carry it around to stuff to be programmed. The LCD allows the load to be verified.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I've used a 10 pin 2mm pitch smt header similar to this one on Digi-Key 609-5570-ND They run you about $0.60 in 100 qty.

2mm pitch IDC socket wired to a regular 2.54 pitch so I could connect to
using openocd
--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Actually, lots of our products use a plug-in (dip8) serial flash adapter for program storage, and a soldered-in flash for the cal table, which includes model-serial-dash-cal date.

The plugin is handy for field upgrades; just mail them a new chip.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

tirsdag den 20. november 2018 kl. 13.25.53 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org:

gold traces is special, gold is usually put on after the solder mask so it is only on the pads

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

SMOBC and ENIG, sometimes ENEPIG.

Lately we have been not solder masking vias. That makes every via a probe-able test point that's also easy to solder to. Shiny.

On BGAs, we solder mask the topside of the vias but not the bottom.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Phil - I program Atmel's avrs trough the device's serial programing setup. The first method is a serial connection via the parralel printer port directly to the SPI pins on the avr. The second is connected to a "programmer" by the 8 data bits of the parralel port. The "programer" is connected to the SPI pins. The first method is a creeper time wise. The second is quick, a little less than 6 seconds for 30k of flash. Both of these are "on board programable" through a 6 pin .100 inch "header" connector. Dirt cheap. But, if you want to pay less, put the "header" on the cable from the programmer and distort them so they'll make contact by pushing into the board's unsoldered holes. Now, you might be able to clip off the end of the jtag cable & solder it to a .100 or .050 header type connecter. That would be noticeably cheaper.

Hul

Phil Hobbs wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus