DIY soldering tips

On Thursday, 1 February 2018 17:00:02 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: nt:

isn't. (Shades of those old-timey wood burning art kits they used to sell.) (*)

I've got an iron like that somewhere. Never used it.

l worlds--tips small enough for SC70 parts that can solder large parts to a ground plane. Plus they heat up in a few seconds, and you change them by s imply pulling one out and plugging another in, elapsed time maybe four seco nds. The handpieces even come with handy silicone rubber pads attached so y ou can change a hot tip without needing pliers.

Reply to
tabbypurr

A lot of the engineers at my CPOE are replacing their Metcals with Weller WX2s (I think that's the number). I replaced mine four years ago (and the Metcal was only a year old). Weller makes nice stations and irons, now, too.

Reply to
krw

I think some of the Metcal tips used to (and maybe still do) fail due to the insulation failing on the little coil that induction heats the tip. Whatever the cause, they would stop getting hot enough to melt solder, and we were able to get Metcal to replace them free of charge, which was quite worthwhile because some of them are expensive. They would refuse to replace them if someone had dented the barrel by using pliers to change them rather than the silicone pad, and also if the tip plating had failed e.g. due to being dropped and bent. I think that is basically consistent with what it says here:

Chris Jones

My Metcal tips stopped failing since I started using brass wool pad instead subjecting them to thermal shock of wet sponge.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar