Disposing of a Lithium-Ion Car Starter that Looks Like It's about to Explode

I have one of these: .

Long out of warranty. I was using it yesterday and afterward noticed that the case was being pushed open by a swelling battery. I opened the case and indeed the battery is very swollen. Obviously I didn't try to recharge the unit. I put it outside in the shade on a metal table,

How should I dispose of this?

Reply to
sms

tirsdag den 22. oktober 2019 kl. 01.08.39 UTC+2 skrev sms:

I had a cellphone battery swell up, I took it outside and poked a hole in it and it spewed lots of fire and smoke for about 5 seconds

but I thought better it do that while I'm around to keep and eye on it

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Places like HD, Lowes typically have recycle bins for rechargeable batteries. I would make sure it's discharged, then toss it in there.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

This looks like four cells in an orange sleeve. I may get a long stick with a nail and release the gas from the outside sleeve. The Target near me accepts Li-Ion batteries.

Reply to
sms

Let's get all the multi-cell Lithium batteries in one place, as many as possible, and ....

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Since it is an anchor, use it to feed the sharks... NO; find a place that accepts Lithium cells/batteries; in other words, treat it as if it came out of your "phone".

Reply to
Robert Baer

Have you tried flushing it down the commode?

Reply to
gray_wolf

Maybe dump it in the city water and help the psychos

Reply to
gray_wolf

Lithium only helps manic-depressives, and quite a few of them don't like it much.

It takes the edge off the depressive part of the cycle, but they can be extremely productive in the manic part of the cycle, and hate losing that.

You do need to get the dose right, so dumping in the water supply wouldn't be a good idea.

One of my cousins did his Ph.D. on the subject, not that I've ever seen his thesis.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Sledgehammer.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Responsibly.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred
[snip]

I was thinking rifle target. The range miight not be too happy but an abandoned gravel pit ....

I don't hear too much about the toxicity of these things. People always seem to get concerned when a laptop catches fire in an airplane. But that seems to be "lets not crash the plane." I never hear worries about the after effects of breathing the smoke once they make it down OK.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.