disk write cache

Maybe enabling the write cache is not such a great idea after all...

Windows:

"By enabling write caching, file system corruption and/or data loss could occur if the machine experiences a power, device or system failure and cannot be shutdown properly."

Linux:

"Write back cache on disks or controllers generated file system errors that rendered the file systems either corrupted or inconsistent. Many times, the file systems can no longer be mounted. We find that the problems appear faster (typically fewer than 10 power cycles) when cache is bigger, such as when there is also write-back cache on the RAID controllers. Typically, we observed problems within 50 power cycles."

(to disable write cache)

Thoughts, anyone?

Personally I'd rather have a slower, more reliable drive than have a fast drive that needs frequent data restores...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

How often do you get power outages in your area? :-)

If the answer is "once in a blue moon" or "I have an UPS, so effectively never," write caching is worth enabling, IMO.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Not very often, but occasionally my Win2k system hangs, especially after running MS Office. Scanned for viruses, I'm suspecting a DLL Hell problem... will re-install the OS to Debian once I get a chance to back up my files. It's due for an OS reinstall anyway... same OS since, eh, 4-5 years ago...

UPS... good point.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Cache is good unless you don't mind slowness. Use a UPS if you have power mains problems. Sounds like you have a hardware problem (junk memory is usually the cause) or your OS is acting up. Most of my Win2k systems are stable. If you have multiple memory sticks, try remove one and see what happens. If it still hangs, swap memory sticks and see what happens.

-- Mark

Reply to
qrk

skrev i meddelelsen news: snipped-for-privacy@z11g2000prl.googlegroups.com...

I use a LapDog so it's got an UPS (sort-off anyway). Should be Ok if one also blocks Acrobat from showing within web browser because it will leave a process behind blocking shutdown / hibernate so shutdown happens when the battery is flat!!

Reply to
Frithiof Jensen

Use a journaling file system (Reiser, for example).

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Yeah, that plugin has always had problems it seems. I stopped using it simply because full acrobat has so much better user interface anyway.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

I would *NOT* ReiserFS with a bargepole with prince phillips attached to the end of it!!! ReiserFS is a known corrupter of disks and loser of data. JFS or even Ext3 are much more stable.

Reply to
Frithiof Jensen

On a sunny day (Sat, 23 Aug 2008 17:24:55 +0200) it happened "Frithiof Jensen" wrote in :

Well, that is a completely wrong statement. I have been using Reiserfs from its beginning, the early advantage was that you did not have to wait ages for the 'file system check' of ext2. I have had several corrupted ext2 systems, but never, and I mean NEVER a corrupted reiserfs. I have a small ext2 partition on this machine that the system boots from (a few MB only), it holds the kernel image, immediately after that the root filesystem is mounted as reiserfs. grml: ~ # mount rootfs on / type rootfs (rw) /dev/root on / type reiserfs (rw) proc on /proc type proc (rw) sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw) /dev/root on /dev/.static/dev type reiserfs (rw) tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw) /dev/pts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw) tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw) /dev/hdd1 on /mnt/hdd1 type ext2 (rw) /dev/hdd4 on /mnt/hdd4 type reiserfs (rw)

hdd4 is also reiserfs, it is huge, holds backups and a lot of huge video files (all GB size files). hdd1 is ext2 just for old times sake, it holds security camera related video files that get updated automatically, not considered critical to the system.

You will love reiser if a power failure occurs, and it is up again in seconds, while ext2 will go into a self check for . . . m i n u t e s . . . .

Juste because Reiser killed his wife does not make his filesystem bad :-) After all Bush killed a million Iraqis, that does not make US chips bad.

So you are talking bull, or are using reiserfs the wrong way, or need to buy a clue, or whatever.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

With good behavior he might be out in about a decade to continue working on it? :-)

It seems as though Reiser was never particularly well-adjusted socially; it's a shame his wife ended up dying for it.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Give him a system to work on in his cell. Heck, they give prisoners TV sets and other junk. He hasn't been convicted of something for which keeping him off the 'net would be a public safety concern.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Ah, and a single case (yours) completely invalidates his statement? Hell, even I know someone who's had corruption with that FS.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

On a sunny day (Sat, 23 Aug 2008 14:27:13 -0500) it happened "Tim Williams" wrote in :

If you knew what I do to PCs with file systems, yes, then my case is proof :-) The issue that may have confused many, is that, especially with the old version (IIRC) of reiserfs, it was not suited to boot from it. This was well known. That is why my system boots from ext2, and then mounts reiserfs as root file system. Many these days just use some distribution of Linux, and, not knowing history and having no real experience, maybe select the wrongs things at the wrong time. I am sure if you had to drive a formula1 when you are used to a beetle, it could get you in problems too.

'I know somebody' and 'I have read somewhere' means very little (especially the last). I have heard from somebody who claims he is from mars. True. Is he from mars? I do not think so.

There is politics (as usual) involved too. Reiserfs was not excepted into the kernel, although, IN MY VIEW it was better then anything else at that time. This, let's say, 'political friction' (and I do not blame it on anyone, I got in a big fight in five minutes when posting something to a kernel list myself) EGO, may have been the reason you could not boot from a reiser partition, or have something to do with it. Politics and technology do not always mix very well, and if they do the result may look weird.

If I EVER had a problem with reiserfs I would have tried ext3, others. But now, as I have zero problems in 10 years, moving to an other file system only carries risk.

Some times I just flip the power switch on the server... the journaling reiserfs is back up almost immediately (10 seconds?) when I power up again. Never lost a file. Now try it with your pet file system on your pet OS, a couple of hundred times, then report back here. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I've had no problems with reiserFS either. But I suggested it only as an example of a journaling system because I know some people have string feelings about it.

IMHO, its a waste of time arguing about file systems. This time is better spent on the vi vs. emacs controversy. ;-)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On a sunny day (Sat, 23 Aug 2008 17:21:29 -0700) it happened "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in :

Yes yes, emacs sucks, vi too, I use joe :-)

And, in case that is not enough: C rocks, C++ sucks.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I use other programming editors. Both emacs and vi suck. Don't like c or c++. I would rather use any Pascal, basic, or other somewhat more verbose language. C's encrypted library call names defeat it. Just the same i must have written several thousand lines of c. I just get more mileage out of languages that are not quite so oriented to saving every byte of source code.

Reply to
JosephKK

On a sunny day (Sun, 24 Aug 2008 07:26:51 -0700) it happened JosephKK wrote in :

I never could get used to emmacs keys... I know you can reconfigure. Joe keys is a bit like wordstar. I only need minimal functions in a text editor. To save a selection and to load a file at cursor, tabs, build in spell checker, search and search / replace, etc.. joe has it all. I used 'boxer' in windows.

My pascal is a bit rusty these days, have not used it in ages.

If you have Linux, and want to learn how to use libc, then have a look at libc.info. It has always been my guide, could not write anything complex without it. Probably already on your system in /usr/share/info/libc.info* or else do a locate libc.info I just catted them all together to one big text file, and use joe to search for things like functions, keywords. libc.info has very good examples too, explains each and every library function.

?
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

OK, remember that vi is the center of evil. Actually I try to avoid both but if forced I'll use vi.

Reply to
Dennis

Do you perhaps mean C++ "name mangling" here? C call names are generally identical to the function name used, plus or minute an underscore or similar character here or there.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

"Jan Panteltje" skrev i meddelelsen news:g8rgsu$q37$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org...

TECO is good enuff for you lot!!