DIP IDC

I have need for 8-pin IDC DIP headers. In other words, a ribbon cable IDC connector that plugs into a 8-pin IC socket.

Now, I can find IDC males that are 0.1 pin spacing, 0.1 row spacing,for $0.50~$1.00 easily.

But when I need one in DIP spacing (0.1 x 0.3) they are either $4.00+ OR the supplier wants $18 to ship one.

Anyone found a better source?

(Then there's the issue of one end of the cable having Pin 1 be the #1 ribbon conductor, the other end wanting that conductor to terminate on its pin 6.)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher

Could you whip up a bunch of little PCB adapters? Pads for the cheap IDC males on one side, pads for some thick durable pins to slot into the DIP sockets on the other (that also route the conductors appropriately)?

The pins on the one in the second link look like they were designed to be soldered once permanently to a PCB. They won't survive too many insertion-removal cycles. If they don't need to be cycled then the question is why have the sockets there at all.

Reply to
bitrex

Zero clearance on the DIP end. It's under something else.

The sockets on both ends, the 8-pin DIP & the 2x4 0.1 IDC are on existing boards. I wish the 2x4 was male headers, and I may be able to get a special order on them so it will be, but the DIP is on the PLC itself.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher

I suppose I should know what PLC stands for but I don't. "Programmable logic controller" doesn't seem to make much sense here. "Portland lesbian choir" has a nice ring to it but I don't think this is it either...

--
"Mort aux vieux" -- un jeune
"Mort aux jeunes" -- un vieux
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Andre Majorel

These guys?

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

Thanks; they are more reasonable. I bought a bunch to see how they look.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher

Let us know the results! I would like to find the 4 stepped row type of PCB to IDC ribbon cable connector at a reasonable price. Used in 1980s Williams pinball and video arcade games...

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

How about a link to a clear photo of one?

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

ok.

Fair enough - photos of 40 pin ribbon connector to staggered row PCB moun t:

0

Tiny URL version:

I haven't actually spent much time looking recently as they are needed rarely, but hey, maybe someone has seen them around and I can get enough

to do the next twenty years of service...

Thanks,

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

ok.

t:

=0

Lasse Langwadt Christensen
3M makes them. I see them in other equipment fairly often:
Reply to
Michael A Terrell

:

Thanks Mike!

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

:

Correction, 3M MADE them. Discontinued in 2014. So I need to stock up!

John :-#(#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

Can you use used ones, with the ribbon cable still in them? I think that I may have some on junk boards from other equipment that I can lift with a solder pot. I have to find help to clean out the building where a ton of scrap PC boards fill dozens of Banana boxes. I scrapped a load of industrial printers that I think used the 40 pin version.

Check the usual surplus dealers, and Ebay now that you have the proper name and a part number.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

Not such an easy task -- Allied Electronics has ZERO stock for ALL pin counts i.e. they have NONE at all.

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Sergey Kubushyn

ed

ten:

It is not a catastrophe if I can't find them, in 99% of cases they come apart and can be cinched properly on fresh ribbon wire.

I do have junk boards with some of those connectors in an emergency. It is preferred to provide customers with new rather than used product where possible.

Thanks,

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

It also said that 31 were available in 10 days.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

Strange, RS-online (which SFAIK is the same company) lists 31 in stock.

Also Winchester electronics (the brand in the photo) is still making connectors, dunno if they are still making that one

there's also this one:

And there's one from Tyco to I think.

Jasen Betts

The US wing is called Allied Electronics. 31 in stock at RS-online means those are in UK (or somewhere else) so Allied can request those and have them delivered to the US in 10 days.

That also means that 10 days is _NOT_ a factory lead time; it is just how long would it take to ship the remaining 31 to a particular country. In other words those 31 is all they have and all wings of RS Online and their partners refer to that same remaining lot of 31. Once those are sold there will be no more available anywhere among RS online and friends -- not in 10 days or at all. Those are leftover parts.