"ding" circuit

I'd like a simple circuit to make a nice quiet pleasant-sounding "ding" that I can add to my automatic coffee-cup heating circuit.* I'll trigger the ding when the cup heater reaches the exact best temperature and it turns off. I'll keep it quiet so as not to wake my wife, but loud enough for me to hear. I want it to be a very pleasant sound so if she does hear it, it won't disturb her. I can hear it now, dinggg.

  • The coffee-cup heater I'm going to design.
--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Maybe an ADSR circuit, from early Moog synth days would be the most adaptable

but horribly complicated for a coffee pot.

Why not use one of those speech chips for storage, or a dreaded PIC and DAC and generate a nice waveform in Cooledit then eeprom it. A tone at 440Hz would be nice.

Or a ISM RF job that triggers the hifi/PC to play something

What about the toaster?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

There are always multi-tone chime chips like the Siemens SAB0600 series that you could use, but maybe you could take a nice acoustically tuned aluminum tube or two and whack it (them) with a small solenoid.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (25 Jan 2007 07:13:12 -0800) it happened Winfield Hill wrote in :

Winfield, did yo uconsider some of the sound you can download from the Internet? Just google 'ding sound .wav' That got me this:

The ding dong is from airport, but what about that expresso machine sound? That may trigger Pavlov effect. But there are many more and likely better ones. I prefer to make my own actually, hey even had my own postage stamps made :-)

Googling, this one (ding) is better

Jan Panteltje

I would have thought a nice analog circuit- say a 440Hz sinewave, modulated by a 2Hz sinewave, the whole lot given an exponentially- decaying envelope, about 2-3 seconds time constant. I'm sure Win can design the circuit faster than I can write the description.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

A damped sinusoid sounds nice.

Once I had to synthesize the sound of a shipboard fog gong. Ships in a harbor, in fog, are required to bang a gong from the bow. It used to be a sailor with a real gong and a mallet. Later it was a mechanical assembly with a motor/cam striker whacking a rod, pickup coils, and a PA system. I was asked to design an all-electronic version, and used four toroidal-core LC oscillators of various frequencies, powered by a pulsed emitter follower thing that yanked Vcc up and then let it decay, with a PUT oscillator and some TTL to do the sequencing. The oscillators clipped pretty good at max amplitude, adding the desired degree of nautical raunchiness. It sounded terrible, almost exactly like the real thing.

John

Way back in the last century (~1975), before microprocessors were in cars, I designed "ding" and various other warning sounds into a chip for GM cars.

I started by recording their mechanical sound makers, then devising R/C active circuits that matched the waveforms.

"Ding" is just an abrupt- start sinusoid that decays.

...Jim Thompson

Junk box: old (really old) telephone (or various other physical bell sources, such as bars suspended at 25% of bar length from end [see xylophone, the old doorbell-chime in the junk box, wind chimes]. Could be metallic or even wood [see marimba], though wood is not what comes to mind for a "dinggg")

solenoid

Relay, FET, something like that.

Tune solenoid drive speed, tip, and hit placement to get the required dinggg. Electro-Mechanical beats purely electronic for both "nice" and "pleasant". "Quiet" varies with tip material and hit speed, as well as the bell/chime itself.

Ecnerwal

Whoa, hold it. This sounds as if you're going to heat a cold cup of coffee that's been sitting all night, and then you want to be alerted by a pleasant sound?

Let me tell you that this sound is the only thing that's going to be pleasant. Reheated coffee is abominable.

There's nothing like a homemade latte in the morning, with freshly ground coffee.

Of course the grinder doesn't sound pleasant at all and will wake wife and kids (which is part of the purpose).

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Before I pass judgement on your motives I might need to see what your wife says about this. Obviously, since you have set your line wrap really short, you are expecting advice of a nature unrelated to early morning coffee..

DNA

Reply to
Genome

I think you're all missing the point..!!

This thing oughta BUZZ like caffeine. ... unless it's decaf.

Reply to
mpm

Can't you direct record such a sound into RAM and simply play it back ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

I use obnoxious sounds to make sure they get my attention, like the rubber-bulb horn "Oooga oooga" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

do you have a copy of the yellow forrest mims book radshack used to sell? what you want is there. The circuit is one op-amp 3 1 meg pots and a few caps, rings down when a button is pushed or a pulse injected.

steve roberts

Reply to
osr

Fast attack & relatively slow log decay, right?

IIRC, to get a really musical tone you need more than one frequency.

Probably GM and their customers wouldn't much care if it's just bugging you about seatbelts, headlights or something.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You could use a simple two-tone generator (DTMF +)

In the days I was involved in such things, we had numerous tones that were generated in the system. A very common one is the 'bong' tone (really!). That's what you hear when you are prompted for card details on a calling card call.

Generated as dial tone followed by decaying # tone,

I'll see if I can find the list of tones we used to use for in-band signalling.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Or just go to the Hallmark store and buy one of those horrid musical greeting cards..

Reply to
Rick

On a sunny day (Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:37:43 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

Personally, for a one time sort of thing, I would buy a 15 Euro mp3 player with 256 MB flash and remove the case and drive the buttons with some CMOS transistors. Then it can say more then 'ding'. 'Hallo Winfield the coffee is ready'. Anyways I just managed to make the perfect soft 'ding' by taking an erase rubber, sticking it on a pencil, and pinging against an empty COFEE CUP. 'diiin' Now to rent time in a dead room in the soundstudio.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

MIT's music library had sound-proof listening cubicles... maybe your library does as well?

...Jim Thompson

Sure. Record the sound on a PC, use something like CoolEdit/Audition to edit it and convert to the desired bit width (eg. 8 or 12 bits) resample at the desired sample rate, export as csv, massage all the numbers into assembler or C format (a few lines of Perl or awk maybe), and write a little firmware program to read the table and spit the output values periodically to a DAC or PWM. A second or two of fairly decent sound would fit in the flash of a cheap micro without any kind of compression. For example, a PIC18F87J60 with 128K of 10-year retention flash program memory. The chip, a ceramic resonator and perhaps an 8 or 12-resistor DAC (or MCP4922) and an audio amplifier. Two 12 bit samples could easily be packed into 3 bytes. There are a few micros with 10 or 12-bit built-in DACs (AD, BB/TI and Silicon Labs come to mind).