Dimensionally Plotted Field with XY Coils

This is a mad scientist project, and I am not even sure how to ask the question correctly.

What I have in mind is to create a zone of "EM texture" using two solenoid coils at right angle to each other. These are not crossed but effectively form two sides (or a corner) of a square.

The concept is to feed them with different arbitrary signals, such that the composite perpendicular field contains irregularities encoded by the intersecting waveshapes that would over a period of time trace a geometric shape.

I suppose an analogy would be a PCB etching machine.

Has anyone seen this utilized in existing technology, if it is feasible at all?

Mark Henderson

Reply to
mhenderson

that the composite perpendicular field contains irregularities encoded by the intersecting waveshapes that would over a period of time trace a geometric shape.

The arrangement of coils is reminiscent of the x/y scan coils which direct the scanned electron beam in a TV tube or an electron microscope.

These are usually wound as saddle coils. Google finds plenty of references to saddle coils, but few have useful images. This paper doesn't present anything all that visually useful, but the line drawings in Figure 2 show how they work.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

:

question correctly.

noid coils at right angle to each other. These are not crossed but effectiv ely form two sides (or a corner) of a square.

the composite perpendicular field contains irregularities encoded by the i ntersecting waveshapes that would over a period of time trace a geometric s hape.

is utilized in existing technology, if it is feasible at all?

t the scanned electron beam in a TV tube or an electron microscope.

plenty of references to saddle coils, but few have useful images. This pap er doesn't present anything all that visually useful, but the line drawings in Figure 2 show how they work.

Oops.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I don't even... sounds rather loopy?? You want to, in essence, somehow form an image in the E&M field? Standing waves perhaps? Or just E or M? Supposing you had some method to visualize the field intensity in space, you'd like to create an arbitrary image to some finite resolution?

If the resolution limit is comparable to PCB etchings, you'll need submilimeter waves (>100GHz). Right now, transmitters, modulators and resonators (let alone any kind of sensor to visualize the result, for which without... how would you know?) don't work well at those frequencies, so it will be quite an engineering task.

It's fun to envision scenarios with fields and lasers and cackling maniacal laughter, but until you can answer yourself the question: "what does it DO?", it's just a lot of hallucinations..

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website:

Tim Williams

You would know it couldn't be a standing wave if you read my OP regarding the position of the _XY_ coils.

That was an analogy. I did not actually specify this degree of resolution. It can be quite low. Just enough to define basic 2D geometric shapes.

Yes, want I want is an electromagnetic hallucination. Well put. Any practical ideas? Anyone?

Mark Henderson

Reply to
mhenderson

Could a fully controllable electromagnetic field move a tiny ball bearing around in a 3D space like that if the coils are oriented right and currents are so programmed? It could be a curiosity, a mixer, perhaps it could enhance one of those

3D plastic "printing" makerbot things? On a huge scale it could be handy for rolling out fibers of glass or carbon in polyester resin. Competing field strengths in each axis could give the operator full control. It could be fun to play with.
Reply to
Greegor

On a sunny day (Mon, 25 Nov 2013 02:07:12 -0800 (PST)) it happened Greegor wrote in :

Yes, with feedback of position I'd think:

Jan Panteltje

Ahh let's just use the 'mad' part and skip scientist until you've done a bunch more research.. or taken some basic Physics/ E&M classes. (Sorry to be so snarky, but I don't think you know what you are talking about.)

You might try something like this, which is not E&M, but does make nice 'textures' that you can see. (chladni patterns on a square plate)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Ok, I don't think this is doing what you think it would do.

Look at single coil. You apply current, and a magnetic field is created, moving in three dimensions at the speed of light. If you are varying this field, then there are are 'waves' of varying magnetic intensity moving in a roughly spherical wavefront from this coil.

Now, you add in a second coil, set at a distance. You vary its current as well. You know have spherical wavefronts of varying magnetic intensity flowing out from it. The two wavefronts will interact giving magnetic vectors that change in three dimensions. There will be no standing waves or static images. Standing waves require reflections, which magnetic fields don't do.

You might be able to accomplish something if you used an array of coils, but then, that would still require you to be trying to actually DO something...

I won't even go into the joys of trying to change the field intensity of a coil rapidly...

Reply to
Charlie E.