Digital TV Modulators

Has anyone found a digital tv modulator for adding security cameras to view on these new digital TV's?

Reply to
tvfrench

** Don't hold your breath waiting for them to ever appear.

Look instead for analogue tuners that can be used via the AV inputs.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

One set here has an Ethernet port but probably only for firmware upgrades at this time. IIRC the larger Sharp Aquos have one that actually works and can stream from the web. One mfg advertized a WLAN type port but I don't remember which one. So there is hope.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

"Joerg"

** Try reading the question.

I think you are MILES off.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well, he said he wants to add cameras. So if he hasn't bought them yet a LAN hookup isn't out of the question:

Even comes in WLAN fashion.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg
** Try reading the ACTUAL question !!!

I think you are MILES off.

** To be viewed on a "digital" TV set.

" Has anyone found a digital tv modulator for adding security cameras to view on these new digital TV's? "

The Q is about modulators for DTV.

If the OP has another meaning in mind then HE has used completely the wrong terminology.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well, true. I just wanted to give him an alternative method.

I also think that DTV modulators won't be seen at Radio Shacks and such very soon, if ever. We've got an analog modulator here and there it already was tough to find a store that had it. I asked the clerk how many they sold so far. "Maybe a couple of them over the last few months".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

** My first comment to the OP was to this effect.

** Bout the only time a member of the public goes looking for an RF modulator to use with a TV set is when they buy a DVD player and find it has no RF out to use with their antique TV.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yep, that's why I said "also" :-)

Most TVs now have at least video plus L/R audio inputs, even a 20 year old analog set we've got. Where modulators are really practical is when you want to watch a movie outside or when someone gets really sick and must stay in bed. Feed its output into the amplifier head, done. No schlepping a player around with all the cables dangling off of it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

** Yawn - most is not all.

Millions of TVs made with live chassis rely on isolation baluns at the antenna socket.

No AV inputs fitted on any of them - pal.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Careful there, Joerg! Didn't you notice the flack I got for saying that my cable box was on Channel 4 throughout the house ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Yeah, I've repaired lots of them when I was a kid. That was in Germany where power plugs go into the 230VAC wall outlets either way.

Are those old things still around? The last ones I remember still had a PL519 tube in the flyback stage. In the early 80's they went mostly isolated, with a SMPS that was driven by the flyback stage and often had some really hokey kick-start scheme.

I have to confess that I equipped one of the non-isolated sets with a video-type input when I was a teenager. Big old PL-259 jack. Used it as a scope. The power plug had a Sharpie dot that had to match the Sharpie dot I made on the wall outlet. Else ... bzzzt ... BANG. This set had no fuse to chassis and so the 16 amp breaker would have to do.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Should have done it like us guys, ours is on channel 69 :-)))

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

"Joerg"

** You are an idiot.

Half the 30 to 50 cm TVs made in Asia in the 1990s were live chassis.

GE, Sony, Philips brand and many others.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Not the ones I saw and had. Toshiba 21", numerous no-names, etc. And all had A/V inputs. Even the 1988 Mitsubishi I brought from Germany is isolated. In fact, in Europe you could not possibly have sold anything non-isolated back then because every consumer expected the set to have what they call a SCART-connection, to hook up VCRs, video games and such.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

has

I had my modulator outputs on 123 and 125 until I got the pay channels, so I went down to channel 4 which is unused by the cable system. But I still had to seriously notch the incoming channel 4 signal because of noise.

...Jim Thompson

has

I'll just leave ours on Ch 69 until I see what shakes out in the DTV roll-out. Maybe move it to a lower frequency when I see what's vacant since one of the locations is on an old lossy cable. Our modulator only does UHF.