DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

hi! im a total newbie on the field of assembly programming and the
microcontrollers stuff and im trying to build a digital guitar tuner
more like the ones which automatically detects the string being tuned
and has an LCD "analog needle-display"...  any kind of help would be
greatly appreciated.. sample codes, ideas, references, anything would
be great..

thank you in advance!

dhaevhid

Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

>hi! im a total newbie on the field of assembly programming and the
>microcontrollers stuff and im trying to build a digital guitar tuner
>more like the ones which automatically detects the string being tuned
>and has an LCD "analog needle-display"...  any kind of help would be
>greatly appreciated.. sample codes, ideas, references, anything would
>be great..

Are you doing this just for practice?  Why else would you want to
re-invent something that is available in music stores at low prices?

-Robert Scott
 Ypsilanti, Michigan

Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

Well, reinventing the wheel is always fun.. :-)

I'm also guitar player and I would like to build my own guitar
tuner..just for fun

I already have the schematic and the firmware in my head. The problem
is I dont have time to do it.

If you like, we can work together. I'll give you direction, some
tutorial&explanation for free..but in one condition : the hardware's
schematic/firmware must be released as GNU GPL licence.

We can use this usenet (or if necessary we build our own mailing list
in yahoogroups) to share information.

Anybody have interest to join in ? :p

-kunil
Bandung, Indonesia

Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

I'll help out..I have some free time at night and on the weekends, and
might be visiting South East Asia next month to colloborate if
necessary. :)

Benry
Amherst, NY

Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

I can help you out too.

Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

i wont try to be a freakin liar here guys, i will tell you my real
situation.

its actually a qualifying sample project for my first job. actually, i
was just tasked to study the assembly programming and hardware design
and be able to produce a working model for me to qualify for the job.

im tryin to do it all by myself but its taking me so long to
understand the concepts... im reading tutorials and references i
downloaded from the internet but most of the times i found myself
confused and i dont have anyone to ask my questions. the senior
engineers here are not that helpful. they will just say " research in
the internet, it might be there"...

so i finally resolved into seeking the help from the newsgroups and
forums.
i know lots of you guys are not willing to help me because this is
really my own assignment.

well, im just tryin my luck if there's anyone out there willing to
share his expertise on this field...

thanks guys!
more power.

==dhaevhid==

> Well, reinventing the wheel is always fun.. :-)
>
> I'm also guitar player and I would like to build my own guitar
> tuner..just for fun
>
> I already have the schematic and the firmware in my head. The problem
> is I dont have time to do it.
>
> If you like, we can work together. I'll give you direction, some
> tutorial&explanation for free..but in one condition : the hardware's
> schematic/firmware must be released as GNU GPL licence.
>
> We can use this usenet (or if necessary we build our own mailing list
> in yahoogroups) to share information.
>
> Anybody have interest to join in ? :p
>
> -kunil
> Bandung, Indonesia

Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

Well, hell, I'll do the whole thing for you - just sign over your
f**king paycheck.

Asshole.

Cheers!
Rich
Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

'DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT', on Sat, 23 Apr 2005:

>so i finally resolved into seeking the help from the newsgroups and
>forums. i know lots of you guys are not willing to help me because this
>is really my own assignment.

Generally, that's not true. Many will HELP; we won't provide model
answers for homework projects.

>well, im just tryin my luck if there's anyone out there willing to
>share his expertise on this field...

Did you see four positive replies, offering help? I can't help in this
case; it's out of my field. I would only say that if you don't need to
use an LCD display, don't An LM3914 and ten LEDs is a much simpler
solution.
Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

> i wont try to be a freakin liar here guys, i will tell you my real
> situation.
>
> its actually a qualifying sample project for my first job. actually, i
> was just tasked to study the assembly programming and hardware design
> and be able to produce a working model for me to qualify for the job.
>
> im tryin to do it all by myself but its taking me so long to
> understand the concepts... im reading tutorials and references i
> downloaded from the internet but most of the times i found myself
> confused and i dont have anyone to ask my questions. the senior
> engineers here are not that helpful. they will just say " research in
> the internet, it might be there"...
>
> so i finally resolved into seeking the help from the newsgroups and
> forums.
> i know lots of you guys are not willing to help me because this is
> really my own assignment.
>
> well, im just tryin my luck if there's anyone out there willing to
> share his expertise on this field...
>
> thanks guys!
> more power.

Here are some resources:

CircuitCellar... there is a guitar tuner article that uses a
microcontroller. The article describes the entire thing, and gives you a
schematic and a listing of the assembler code.

LCD, it's a snap, given the reams of free code available to drive those
little 16 character one line displays. HD44780 LCDs are cheap. You can
drive them with 11 datalines in 8 bit mode, and 7 in 4 bit mode, and 6
if you just hardwire the write pin high.

Here is a reference: http://ouwehand.net/~peter/lcd/lcd.shtml

They are kind of painful to program, so use a microcontroller with an
on-chip debugger.

I've had some trouble using that CircuitCellar design, however. He
assumes that the first couple of waves are the fundamental, but this
doesn't seem to be true, at least for my guitar. I think a DSP design,
using some simple digital filters, would make more sense. DSPs are
getting pretty cheap. You could tune all the strings simultaneously... ;)

I know how you feel. It's easy to get lost in a first job. You want to
do well, and don't want to ask for help. However, I'd guess that your
ability to ask senior guys for help is one of the things they are
testing you on...

Regards, and good luck!
  Bob Monsen

Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

> Here are some resources:
>
> CircuitCellar... there is a guitar tuner article that uses a
> microcontroller. The article describes the entire thing, and gives you a
> schematic and a listing of the assembler code.
>
> LCD, it's a snap, given the reams of free code available to drive those
> little 16 character one line displays. HD44780 LCDs are cheap. You can
> drive them with 11 datalines in 8 bit mode, and 7 in 4 bit mode, and 6
> if you just hardwire the write pin high.
>
> Here is a reference: http://ouwehand.net/~peter/lcd/lcd.shtml
>
> They are kind of painful to program, so use a microcontroller with an
> on-chip debugger.
>
> I've had some trouble using that CircuitCellar design, however. He
> assumes that the first couple of waves are the fundamental, but this
> doesn't seem to be true, at least for my guitar. I think a DSP design,
> using some simple digital filters, would make more sense. DSPs are
> getting pretty cheap. You could tune all the strings simultaneously... ;)

this is the exact reason why im still "hunting" the elusive precise
algorithm on how to do this project the correct way. almost every
project done( atleast those i see on the web) do not consider the
harmonics that would surely cause trouble... i saw some samples though
that used an FFT, IIR and all those stuff but i am yet to learn how to
do all of those in assembly language. i did a project using those
functions in matlab but its an included function in the library. so
its quite a degree more difficult this time to do all the FFT, FIR,
and IIR "hand written" on assembly.

but then again i must check in advance if these functions can be
handled efficiently by the microcontroller in the first place...

anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, links, ideas and everything...
these are all big help....

-carlo david

PS. i had to change my account in google cause my hotmail account was
flooded...

Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

>>Here are some resources:
>>
>>CircuitCellar... there is a guitar tuner article that uses a
>>microcontroller. The article describes the entire thing, and gives you a
>>schematic and a listing of the assembler code.
>>
>>LCD, it's a snap, given the reams of free code available to drive those
>>little 16 character one line displays. HD44780 LCDs are cheap. You can
>>drive them with 11 datalines in 8 bit mode, and 7 in 4 bit mode, and 6
>>if you just hardwire the write pin high.
>>
>>Here is a reference: http://ouwehand.net/~peter/lcd/lcd.shtml
>>
>>They are kind of painful to program, so use a microcontroller with an
>>on-chip debugger.
>>
>>I've had some trouble using that CircuitCellar design, however. He
>>assumes that the first couple of waves are the fundamental, but this
>>doesn't seem to be true, at least for my guitar. I think a DSP design,
>>using some simple digital filters, would make more sense. DSPs are
>>getting pretty cheap. You could tune all the strings simultaneously... ;)
>

> this is the exact reason why im still "hunting" the elusive precise
> algorithm on how to do this project the correct way. almost every
> project done( atleast those i see on the web) do not consider the
> harmonics that would surely cause trouble... i saw some samples though
> that used an FFT, IIR and all those stuff but i am yet to learn how to
> do all of those in assembly language. i did a project using those
> functions in matlab but its an included function in the library. so
> its quite a degree more difficult this time to do all the FFT, FIR,
> and IIR "hand written" on assembly.

A digital filter is quite simple. It is just a bunch of multiplies and
divides on each sample. However if you have to do the multiply in
software, you'll never make it fast enough, at least with the tiny
microcontrollers that are out there. A PIC 16 series requires between
500 and 700 instructions for a multiply. Using a Zilog Z8 Encore, or a
PIC 18 clocked at 20MHz, you could probably do 6 simultaneous IIR
filters using the same A/D channel (there are web pages that will write
the 'C' code for you, given the frequencies and passband width.
Translating that into asm is trivial.)

By filtering a 10Hz passband for each string, it's possible you will be
able to do the zero crossing thing, and then both select the string, and
give guidance on which way to tune as relative error. However, that is a
guess, since I haven't tried it.

---
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

Dont these tuners use PLLs?

--

Please change no_spam to a.lodwig when replying via email!

Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

That's funny! All the ideas are smart.

Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

What's funny?  What ideas?

Usenet messages need to stand by themselves.  There is no guarantee
that any older messages are available to the receipient.  That is
why we quote the relevant portions, and post replies after (or
intermixed with) the quoted portion.  The google usenet interfact
is seriously broken, but you can live with it if you follow the
instructins below in my sig.

Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

> Well, hell, I'll do the whole thing for you - just sign over your
> f**king paycheck.
>

> Asshole.
>

> THIS IS NOT VERY HELPFUL REPLY. BUT IT IS CERTAINLY FROM A GUY WHO DOESNT KNOW
ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT HE SAYS...YOU WILL DO THE WHOLE THING FOR ME??? DID I ASK
ANYONE TO DO THAT? IM TRYING TO SEEK SOME HELP, IM NOT ASKING ANYONE TO DO THE
WORK FOR ME, IM JUST ACCESSING ALL POSSIBLE SOURCES OF DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO
EFFICIENTLY DO THIS SPECIFIC PROJECT.

AND HERE COMES "RICH THE NEWSGROUP WACKO" CALLING ME AN ASSHOLE AND
ASKING FOR MY PAYCHECK... TRY TO THINK ABOUT IT, YOU CALL A GUY AN
ASSHOLE AND THEN ASK FOR HIS PAYCHECK... WHO'S THE REAL ASSHOLE?...

Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

   Why do you think he's a "Wacko"?  He thinks he's funny, but...

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

Somebody called me that once, and I thought it was rather cute, so
started using it, for the times that I'm consciously being a wacko. :-)

As to who's the asshole, ISTR responding to a "please do this for me"
type of post, and I made a casual offer to do the work, for a price.
Lessee...

Oh, yeah. Here it is:
----excerpt----
 From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (dhaevhid)
 its actually a qualifying sample project for my first job.
 im tryin to do it all by myself but its taking me so long to understand
 the concepts...
----end excerpt---

So, in other words, you're not qualified for the job, so you want
us to help you cheat your way in. _That's_ what the asshole part
was for.
--
Cheers!
Rich
Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

> > dhaevhid wrote:
> >>
> >> AND HERE COMES "RICH THE NEWSGROUP WACKO" CALLING ME AN ASSHOLE AND
> >> ASKING FOR MY PAYCHECK... TRY TO THINK ABOUT IT, YOU CALL A GUY AN
> >> ASSHOLE AND THEN ASK FOR HIS PAYCHECK... WHO'S THE REAL ASSHOLE?...
> >
> >    Why do you think he's a "Wacko"?  He thinks he's funny, but...
>
> Somebody called me that once, and I thought it was rather cute, so
> started using it, for the times that I'm consciously being a wacko. :-)
>
> As to who's the asshole, ISTR responding to a "please do this for me"
> type of post, and I made a casual offer to do the work, for a price.
> Lessee...
>
> Oh, yeah. Here it is:
> ----excerpt----
>  From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (dhaevhid)
>  its actually a qualifying sample project for my first job.
>  im tryin to do it all by myself but its taking me so long to understand
>  the concepts...
> ----end excerpt---
>
> So, in other words, you're not qualified for the job, so you want
> us to help you cheat your way in. _That's_ what the asshole part
> was for.
> --
> Cheers!
> Rich
>  ------
>  "There was an old man of Tagore
>   Whose tool was a yard long or more,
>    So he wore the damn thing
>    In a surgical sling
>   To keep it from wiping the floor."

THERE HAVE BEEN A LITTLE LESS THAN A HUNDRED REPLIES ON THIS THREAD
BUT UNDOUBTLY, IT TOTALLY CLEAR THAT YOU'RE THE ONLY ASSHOLE HANGING
AROUND WITH SERIOUS THINKERS. IF IT SO HAPPENED THAT ALL OF THE OTHERS
RESPONDED THE WAY YOU DID, MAYBE I WOULD THINK I WAS BEING AN ASSHOLE.

GUESS WHAT? YOU'RE THE SOLE STINKING SHIT SURROUNDED BY DECENT
INTELLIGENT PEOPLE.

IM GETTING THINGS QUITE FAST NOW AND I CAN SAY THAT I CAN FINISH THE
PROJECT ON TIME. THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT MINDS WHO SHARED THEIR VIEWS
AND EXPERTISE. SO IM KEEPING MY JOB, IM GETTING A LOT MORE LEARNING
THAN EVER BEFORE AND I FOUND NEW GREAT FRIENDS ALL OVER THE WORLD.

AS FOR YOU, SAY SORRY TO YOUR MOTHER BECAUSE YOU JUST PROVED THAT SHE
DEFINITELY FAILED TO RAISE YOU WELL...

Re: DIGITAL GUITAR AUTO-TUNER PROJECT

Unlike your mother, who failed to give birth to someone with eight fingers
and two thumbs. Try releasing the CAPS lock, and STOP SHOUTING AT US.

Prick.

dhaevhid wrote:

> AND HERE COMES "RICH THE NEWSGROUP WACKO" CALLING ME AN ASSHOLE AND
> ASKING FOR MY PAYCHECK... TRY TO THINK ABOUT IT, YOU CALL A GUY AN
> ASSHOLE AND THEN ASK FOR HIS PAYCHECK... WHO'S THE REAL ASSHOLE?...

Dumbass,

He's only an asshole in his own wet dreams.  He isn't smart enough to be
a real asshole.

Ignore him.  He's almost as stupid as Sloman.

Have a great day,
Pup

Site Timeline