Digital filter datapath using ROM

I will be using VHDL\\Verilog Code to simulate the function the datapath proposed in this paper

"A New hardware Realization of Digital Filter" By ABRAHAM PELED and BEDE LIU IEEE Transaction on Acoustics,Speech and Signal Processing,DEC 1974

From Figure 2 in the paper,I could see that the shift registers used

are two 2 bit SIPO shift registers which would generate 5 bit address for the ROM but the contents of ROM (phi ) is the 8 bit numbers and the operation in adder (to find yn) also involves 8 bit numbers .So I guess there are some contradiction since isn't the shift registers supposed to be 8 bit too?

Please help me clarify

Reply to
nur_qamar1na