Digital data over telephone line

Is there any available product that could encode [digitalize analog signal] and transmit digital signal over telephone line? (except for modems of course) I don't really need to estabilish a connection -- I can deal with data loss.

thanks,

Oscar

Reply to
oscar

What you want is called a modem.

Reply to
mc

Call it what you want, but you are specifically asking about modulating at the transmitter end and demodulating at the receiver end. Modem stands for "modulator and demodulator" so you're stuck here.

Now to do this, you do not need computer-and-RS-232 modems (although since you seem to be insisting on "digitalizing" this could be the wise course.)

For many purposes, a FM-modulated carrier at the transmitter and a simple demodulator at the receiver will do just fine for many applications. Could just be a 4046 and some shaping/conditioning at each end.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Get one of those talking digital voltmeters :-).

(Although technically that IS a MODULATOR, just with a really complicated but easy for human to decipher modulation.)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

How about a DTMF decoder? You literally punch in digits at one end and recover digits at the other end.

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris

If you mean an ordinary POTS telephone line, then no. The public interface to the telephone network is strictly analog unless you have an ISDN line with a Terminal Adapter. You must use a modem.

There are "digital data" units (a Channel Service Unit and a Data Service Unit, which may be in one box) that are used to connect data signals to Private Line (Leased Line) networks, at rates up to 64 kb/s. They tend to a bit expensive.

What is it you are trying to do?

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

He said that he didn't want a 'modem', but what you describe could be called a 'mo'.

Larry and Curly can't be far behind.

;-)

Opinions stated herein are the sole property of the author. Standard
disclaimers apply. All rights reserved. For external use only. If
irritation, rash or swelling occurs, discontinue use immediately
and consult a physician. Void where prohibited.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

No, they are too busy posting in the "New Book of Rules" thread. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why do I imagine this randomly dialing "interesting" numbers if the line momentarily goes on hook and then back off without the device's awareness?

Reply to
cs_posting

Pick two fingers!

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Why, I otta! ;-)

BTW, I have a VERY irritating Three Stooges screen saver if you really, REALLY want to bug someone. It is 2.8 MB, but I could put it on the web for you. It does work on XP.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Never heard of a dial tone detector?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hey,

Is there any product available in the market that could send/receive an analog signal as digital data over the phone line? except for modems of course, I don't want to stabilish connection and there is no problem in losing part of the information.

thanks a lot,

Reply to
sav.smb

No. Now go away.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Then there is no point in sending it , unless its "marketing or sales crap" :-)

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

It's your lucky week. SOmeone asked this very same question a day or two ago, and there's a thread right now, with a similar title. I'm sure you may find some answers there.

Of course, the problem may be that you aren't forming the question well, leaving people to speculate on exactly what you mean. IN which case, one really ought to stick with the original thread, and add some information so the answers become more useable to you.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

You mean the old Bell Blue Steak guys are still in business?

Reply to
Robert Baer

greetings, Vasile

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
vasile

Also, no mention was made of the desired data rate. I figured he might do the A/D conversion in his head or with pencil and paper and then just key in the results ;-)

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris

He could use a "Code Practice Oscillator" and send slow Morse Code, too. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida