Digital audio off vinyl?

After looking at articles about data cassettes and the Kansas City standard I heard the Apple I BASIC tapedump on BoingBoing. Does anyone know if it would be possible to transfer digital audio files to a 12 inch 33.3 RPM record or cassette? Quality is of minimal importance, I just need to know how to do this and how to successfully retrieve the data.

Reply to
homestarfan94

I'm sure you can but what would be the point? In fact they do this sorta thing already for data storage. Tape backup, for data storage, and ADAT, for digital music, are the most common.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

A long time ago in a land far, far away...

One of the Computer Hobbyist magazines distributed software on audio disks. They were 33-1/3 RPM records pressed into thin mylar sheets, just like demo records were distributed at that time. I seem to recall that the data was encoded to audio using the KC standard; all one had to do is hook up their record player to their KC interface, and play the data. That's one group that transferred digital files to audio.

I'm guessing that what you want to do is put MP3 files on a Compact Cassette so you can listen to them with your antique Walk-Man. Just play the files on your PC, and run 'line-out' from your sound port to 'line-in' on your cassette deck.

I haven't see a home 'LP' recorder in 30+ years. Any blank you could find would be way past it's shelf life...

Reply to
LittleAlex

"LittleAlex"

** The KC standard is either 300 or 1200 baud.

A music CD uses 1.4 Mbits /second.

I see a problem.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I don't. Information Society's album Peace & Love Inc. contains a track of modem tones.

I have that CD, I don't know if this one came out on vinyl.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

"Phil Allison"

** The blind see nothing.

** Huh ??

It must be high on LSD.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You're none too clear about what youre trying to achieve. Putting digital files on audio cassette was standard practice 30 years ago, but its extremely slow and the failure rate isnt that great. OTOH it does store well, under the right conditions. Putting it onto discs is quite low tech if you're wiling to make your own disc cutter. I can't imagine the point though.

OTOH if you mean data retrieval for real time music decoding & listening, thats not so easy, and only possible with excessive difficulty

NT

Reply to
meow2222