Digi-key sales support

I placed an on-line order earlier today & just now realized a mistake.
I called their 800 number and got an American, on Sunday!  He canceled
the order & saved me the annoyance of placing a 2nd order for the one
incorrect part.  He was very helpful and pleasant as well.  Big thumbs-up!

Re: Digi-key sales support
On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 18:23:32 -0400, Bob Engelhardt

I asked them for some more of their cool red PCB rulers for my
engineers, and they sent a bunch. They actually sell them now for $5.

Their search engine is (mostly) great.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Digi-key sales support

Yeah, I got that from the text above digikey logo (the part number).
Mine has date code JUL 2017, so may be a later revision than yours. It
also has the localised domanin name "digikey.co.nz" above the font
samples, however re-ordering got me one with "digikey.com" in that
place.

Re: Digi-key sales support
Bob Engelhardt wrote...

 Yes, and after hours as well.  Plus they make it
 very easy to return anything, no questions asked.
 IIRC, just fill out a simple online form.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Digi-key, free next-day delivery?
Winfield Hill wrote...

 I'm looking at a Digi-Key flyer I got a weeks ago,
 "SAME-DAY SHIPPING NEXT-DAY DELIVERY on orders
 entered by 8:00 pm CST."  Wow, I usually pay $25
 to 45 to FedEx to get that.  Does it really work?
 I've been working too hard on the AoE x-Chapter
 book's deadline to place any orders and find out.

 Oh, wait, it says next-day delivery, but oops,
 it doesn't say anything about free.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: Digi-key, free next-day delivery?
   You do not read enough Science Fiction...TINSTAAFL

Re: Digi-key, free next-day delivery?

TANSTAAFL.

"Isn't No" is ungrammatical. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

[Snip!]

'There Is No Such Thing' looks perfectly fine to me.

Jeroen Belleman

Re: Digi-key, free next-day delivery?

 Same here - that's just how I interpreted this variant of TANSTAAFL. :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Re: Digi-key, free next-day delivery?

   Ain't no sech thing as grammer, and she passed away long ago.

Re: Digi-key sales support
Digikey has always seemed good. I don't like how they trimmed their selecto
r guide and how it excludes certain filers once the search is set. I still
found it better than Mouser, but not by alot.

Both those companies are now operating under the Element 14 umbrella. So is
 Newark. I haven't dealt with them in a while. Maybe I should check them ou
t again. Whatever.

Digikey should lower their shipping, at lest to here. I know how much it re
ally costs and it looks like they put the man hours to pull the order into
the shipping charge. Well they do ave a markup right ? Pay them out of that
 !

But you get that everywhere. It's like they charge a dollar for every stapl
e they put in.

Years ago I heard something about Digikey. It was that if you snail mailed
in an order with payment like a postal MO or something as strong, they woul
d ship for free. I don't remember where I heard that so I just don't know a
nd never tried it. Does anyone here know if that was EVER true ? Just curio
us.

Re: Digi-key sales support
Another weirdness, speaking of DigiKey's part selector guide....
Sometimes things don't show up where you expect them to.

For example, we still have a few products that use 16x2 character LCD, (white letters, blue LED background).  Circa 1980 stuff.

But you can look all day in their "Optoelectronics" parametric search engine and never find 1471-1236-ND.

Re: Digi-key sales support

order form (https://www.digikey.com/US2011/order.pdf)  says:

* When a check or money order accompanies your order, Digi-Key pays
all shipping and insurance (our choice for method of shipping) to all
addresses in the U.S. and Canada. Shipments of excessive weight or
size, or with otherwise unique circumstances, may require additional
charges. Digi-Key will notify you prior to shipment if these
conditions exist.

(elsewhere it says that personal checks must be us)

but I can't find a link to that form from their website.

Re: Digi-key sales support
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote...

 Correct, for Newark.  I think Digi-Key is private.
 Mouse is a "TTI and Berkshire Hathaway company".

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: Digi-key sales support

It was true a couple of months ago when I ordered from them. I live in
southern MN (they are in northern MN) so even with snail mail I usually
get less than a week turn around.

Re: Digi-key sales support

It's in their current Terms And Conditions document:

6. Shipping Charges. Except as otherwise provided on the Site, (1)
shipping or freight charges and insurance will be paid by the
customer*, (2) all sales are made FOB Digi-Key's warehouse in Thief
River Falls, MN, USA, and (3) shipping or freight charges from
Digi-Key's warehouse in Thief River Falls, MN, USA are prepaid and
added to the invoice, billed collect or billed to a third party.

* When a check or money order accompanies your order, Digi-Key pays
  all shipping and insurance (our choice for method of shipping) to
  all addresses in the U.S. and Canada.

Re: Digi-key sales support

And, although it seems to be hard to find on their site, a quick
Google-search for "digikey mail order form" turns up a printable PDF
of the snail-mail order form.

The URL on their site seems to be

   https://www.digikey.com/-/media/PDF/Help/Order%20Form/order-form_en-US.pdf?la=en

Another (from their 2011 catalog, apparently) is

   https://www.digikey.com/US2011/order.pdf

Re: Digi-key sales support
DigiKey is a classy company with their act together.
(Refreshing to see in this day and age.)

Their inventory control is world class -- or at least it sure seems so from
 the outside looking in.  Out of all those parts, they know EXACTLY how man
y "widgets" they have in-stock.  (We are of course, officially envious!)

The only time I remember an error was years ago when I ordered a particular
 B&K Precision IC programmer.  They showed stock of "1", but it wasn't true
.  They called me back within 30 minutes and offered to ship me the better
(more capable) upgrade unit for the same price!   A savings of over $150.
Nice.

Re: Digi-key sales support

Agreed, except that they apparently have no good way of dealing with
short cut tapes.  It would be a very nice addition to be able to see
whether the part I'm ordering is available in continuous tape.

Not infrequently some comedian in their warehouse will ship 10 cut tapes
of 10 pieces each.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

   ?
   Many parts seem to be available also in "DigiReels" and/or full reels.

Site Timeline