Digi-Key Catalog

Well I like the new short form catalog, but why do companies make magazines and catalogs out of the shiny thin covers that slip all over the place, and very unfriendly. they are garbage.

I'm waiting for a catalog of things they stock.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I want to sort by price on the Digikey website. iirc...long time ago, I think I was able to sort by price but that was eliminated. I'm guessing it pissed off some of the Digikey vendors that it was too easy for designers to select parts by cheapest price.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Agreed, I've wanted that feature as well, and I'm sure it's a 'political' and not technological choice that prevents it from happening.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Usually for me "in stock" is more important than "cheapest"... but I would appreciate having both both. Right now Digikey has "in stock".

Mouser has "stocked" and "cheapest". But frustratingly "stocked" doesn't mean "in stock", it also means "on order".

My feeling is that in general Digikey's search criteria are most relevant (actually keying off real physical attributes and not just text in the product description) to what I do but Mouser is catching up.

Lots of times Mouser does not ship the same day I order. Digikey always does.

It's a little frustrating that with both search engines, typing in "47K" yields hits to 1.47K and 147K parts. It is fairly easy to narrow down to only what I want via point and drool at that point, but I already typed in exactly what I want!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Copy/paste into a spreadsheet, sort on the price. Not as handy as clicking a widget on the Digikey page, but ...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

If it fits on one page, you can "sort" them mentally. And if there are many pages, it is correspondingly tedious.

I now use Farnell to find which are the popular, low-cost parts. They let you sort on price. Then I could look for the part in Digikey in case they are cheaper. (Which they tend not to be, nowadays).

Of course both are more expensive than non-catalog vendors.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Do you have an example of a non-catalog shop, which has the same parts like DigiKey or Farnell and which is cheaper?

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Not sure what you mean by "shop" but I was referring to, e.g. Future, Avnet, Arrow, Abacus etc. Pretty much any of the other major distributors in fact.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Try

It's nothing short of brilliant.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yes, sorry I mean a distributor. Looks like they are not always cheaper. Just a random search for LM324 shows, that DigiKey is more expensive, if you buy less than 100, but Future is more expensive for 100 and more parts:

But looks like Avnet is even cheaper for this part:

Avnet is not listed at

looks like it is worth to search this distributor, if I need larger quantities of a part.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Mouser lets you sort by price...get in the ballpark, then go to digikey to buy the part if you want..they dont always have the same prices anyway, IMO mouser is surprisingly cheaper on the same parts sometimes..and they have a different selection too..I always check both digikey and mouser when selecting components

Reply to
acannell

What is it that you guys buy a Digikey that you find so cheap? I find it to be the most expensive distributor out there.

I used to have about 5 distributors open in my browser comparing prices and stock of stuff I'm buying and Digikey was always the most expensive.

Example Canadian dollars

STP45NF06 MOSFET :N Channel ; Rds(on):0.028ohm ; Id:38A; Vds:60V; TO-220

Newark 1 - 9 $0.631 500+ $0.477

Digikey 1-9 $2.46 500+ $1.37

This Mosfet is dirt cheap at all suppliers but Digikey the STN3NF06L N Channel; Vds:60V; Id:4A; Rds(on):0.07ohm; SOT223

1-9 $0.278 500+ $0.21

1-9 $1.71 500+ $0.95556

It's the same with everything .The price they charge for PIC's is just ridiculous! They are anywhere from 3 to 5 times more then anywhere else. I don't know maybe it depends on where you live?

Reply to
Hammy

Sorry thats the US Newark site above for the STN3NF06L. Canadian dollar prices are;

1-9 $0.328 500+ $0.248

The Canadian link Newark

Hammy

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...>

Yep. We generally take their prices (the online catalog is good) and divide by two to estimate our production prices. For prototypes cost is irrelevant and DigiKey is fast.

We just use catalog prices for component selection and DigiKey is good enough for such relative numbers. Purchasing does the shopping.

Reply to
krw

Well yes I guess that depends on what your prototypeing. Some RF and RAD hard components get into the 3 digit priceinng,then maybe it is'nt so irrelevant.

All major distrubuitors have over night delivery unless you live in the sticks.

When you do large production,do you purchase TR from distrubutors like Digikey or do you go right to the manufacturer? This is why I only showed price comparisions to 500 when you get to TR it would be cheaper to go to the Manufacturers directly.

I know Microchip will let you purchase large quantities directly but will Manufacturers like TI ,IR etc.

Reply to
Hammy

For most silicon stuff 500 isn't large enough quantity to go directly to the manufacturer, IMO, unless you're buying something special and expensive. They will ignore you or forward you to their distributer.

TheM

Compared to my time, and more importantly time to market, (difference in) prototype parts cost certainly is irrelevant.

If they have it, *maybe*. If I can wait I'll get freebies from the disty.

As I said, DigiKey is usually too expensive. OTOH, our numbers aren't usually high enough to go directly to the manufacturer either. We do use distys, though DigiKey is by far the most expensive. They have no value add to justify the expense, either.

Certainly. The definition of "large" varies. ;-)

Reply to
krw

This is an absolutely GREAT site!

I tried a TPS79333 LDO 3.3VDC regulator. Within seconds it gave a list of Newark, Digikey, Mouser, etc... All had prices. What a great way to find a quick comparison from vendors.

Thanks very much for posting this. I will use it often.

Dave

Reply to
starfire

Yeah I know... I feel kind of unfair to Digikey... their parametric search is still better for the most part than Mouser's, but their prices are much higher. I think the last couple of orders I've made were from Mouser. And Allied, if they have some part I've found on Mouser's or Digikey's search, are usually cheaper still. And Mouser's search is still improving; used to be all out of order, with a lot of parts missing key labels (so you search on one basic parameter and 90% of the list just drops out!). Now they've got that mostly sorted out, and they have a few more parameters than Digikey, like transistor f_T!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

IMO DigiKey has a huge "value add" in that they have one of the best search engines on the web and one of the most well-stocked warehourses in the country. And I'll second what Joerg has said about DigiKey being a good check on how "generally available" parts are anyway.

I agree with you that for larger quantities one should start shopping around, of course.

Reply to
Joel Koltner