Different Suffix on IC Chip

I need to replace a 5532A Chip in a audio preamp/mixer.

The original is a 5532A, which is also what the schematic has listed. This IC plugs into a socket, so I know I need the leads intended to go into holes on a PC board.

I looked at several online sources. There is a whole slew of 5532 chips with different suffix letters, but I have yet to find one with the "A" at the end.

Most seem to be 5532P. But I have seen the letters N and D, and some having multiple letters at the end.

All of them are listed as Dual Op Amps, and since they have the original numbers "5532" they should be interchangable (I'd assume).

What do these suffix letters mean, and why are there so many variations?

Is there some chart on a webpage that tells what each of these suffix letters mean? Can I use a 5532P to replace a 5532A? (Or any other suffixes).

Reply to
oldschool

Suffixes, unfortunately, have no standardized meaning. However they typically fall into 2-3 variations... either package type (beware, may be different pin-outs), or temperature or tolerances. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The NE55532 non-A and A parts both specify a typical voltage noise of 5nV at 1kHz and 8nV at 30Hz. The type A has a maximum spec of 10 or 12nV at 30Hz, whereas the non-A type has no maximum spec.

N is a common suffix for 8-pin DIP package, but some manufacturers use P.

D often means surface-mount. A good way to learn about these issues is to read the manufacturer's datasheets.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The suffixes can mean anything from a revision of the chip (usually 'A' or 'B'...), to the chip's package, to the type of reel or tube the part comes in.

Reply to
krw

In such a case there are most several suffix letters and their order is important. A datasheet from the manufacturer helps a lot.

--
Dipl.-Inform(FH) Peter Heitzer, peter.heitzer@rz.uni-regensburg.de
Reply to

Absolutely. You need the magic decoder ring to find out what you have or want. Often you have to compare what you want to what's available and modify accordingly. I often use a Samtec .050" SMT connector but can't usually find it with the pick-n-place tab. When I buy it without the tab my CM yells at me (oh, well ;-).

Reply to
krw