Difference between the 2016 and 2032 button batteries?

I have a set of 3V CR2032 and 3V CR2016 batteries. I notice the 2016 are thinner, but they have the same voltage. As a newbie, what is the major difference between the two?

Reply to
Victory

Thickness (3.2 mm versus 1.6 mm) and energy capacity (225 milliampere hour versus 90 milliampere hour).

Data Sheet:

Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

So, the 2032 hold their charge longer, right?

Sheet:

Victory

On the shelf, maybe, maybe not. With a given current drain rate, yes. For instance if their load drains 10 micro amperes, the 2032 will last about 2 and a half years, while the 2016 will last about a year.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

The thickness; 3.2mm VS 1.6mm.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Sheet:

Not necessarily. Dependent on thermal history. Hallmark once used to make greeting cards that played music when opened; used a dinky ASIC, a piezoelectric sounder, and a lithium battery. Most of them arrived at stores DOA because Hallmark, in their stupidity treated these greeting cards exactly like all other greeting cards: they went into hot warehouses for later distribution.

Reply to
Robert Baer

They have different energy capacities, just like the difference between AA, AAA, C and D cells (which are all 1.5V nominal). The CR2032 will be able to deliver a given amount of power for a longer period of time than the CR2032.

It's like the petrol tank in a car. The engine will use the same amount of petrol (power into a load) regardless of the size of the tank, but a bigger tank (greater energy capacity) will get you further than a smaller tank.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Robert Baer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

actually,lithium cells have a long shelf life,and a wide temp range.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The type number of lithium coin cells indicates their size The first 2 digits are diameter in mm, the second 2 the thickness in units of

0.1mm. Capacity is rougly proportional to volume.
Reply to
Mike Harrison

They probably used a super-cheap alkaline battery (I'd guess maybe 1 cent each) rather than spend an order of magnitude more for a Li cell. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

P/N mAh Diam Weight H (mm) (g) (mm)

--- --- ------ ---- --- cr2016 90 20 1.9 1.6 cr2032 225 20 3.3 3.2

(* jcl *)

Reply to
jluciani

Wal*Mart still sells these today; you can get perhaps a dozen different melodies depending on the card you choose. (I don't think they're Hallmark brand, though.)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Perhaps; the shape and size was "suggestive"...

Reply to
Robert Baer

If they have been sold for a goodly number of monthe, then the maker and/or the disty most likely learned the "Hallmark lesson" and treat them like batteries and not cards.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

a LED flasher I've gotten in an OTC supplement used the CR2032,3 of them in parallel.

My PC uses a CR2032 for it's CMOS battery.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Cards of 5 for a buck are at some of the 'dollar stores' at local flea markets. 25 for $5 and I haven't found a dud yet. I bought these at "The Markets Of Marion" last year, and I see the vendor with them every few months, when I go back.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Only relatively.

Reply to
JosephKK

You can get 'em from Digikey for about that price, although FedEx won't ship them. Makes me wince to think of the prices I paid at Target or (worse) RadioShack.

Reply to
mng

I never use Fedex.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Reply to

Fedex ground should handle them-- it's a prohibition on shipping in aircraft-- maybe only passenger aircraft.