Deglitching a DAC

Any clever ideas on getting rid of glitches in a high precision DAC output? Update rate is a fixed rate, probably in the 10-100kHz range, and I'd like to keep the glitches (especially variation in glitches) to

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I'm a fan of dual-gate MOSFETs for that sort of job, because the charge injection is so low.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Is the idea to use an opposite going pulse on the second gate to compensate for the capacitive coupling?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

What kind of DAC is it? IIRC the better DACs have a latch enable pin which sets the new value for a bits in 1 go. Or does the DAC have that and is still misbehaving?

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I just sample-and-hold between clocks, but I can roll my own charge-compensated switches :-) ...Jim Thompson

LTC makes some 16-bit internally-deglitched DACs.

Or use a fast dac and lowpass filter it. That will help kill digital clock+data feedthrough, which can be as big a problem as pure glitches.

A delta-sigma dac will have low glitch energy, but maybe not enough bandwidth.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

No, you bypass the second gate, or connect it to the source via an RC. The effective output capacitance then is about 0.02 pF or less, a good factor of 10 less than you can get in other discrete parts.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's not a digital thing. There's an output glitch whenever the code is updated. The size depends on the number of switches changing, so it's almost independent of the output value (eg. 0x3F..F changing to

0x40..0 is only one LSB but most of the switches change, while 0x40..00 to 0x40..01 is the same change single LSB but only a single switch changes.
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It's an Analog '5791- pretty much a real 20 bits.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

We used to use AD1862 (20 bit parallel) DACs, but we had bad popcorn noise problems, and AD eventually discontinued them.

We have 140 in stock, popcorn fallouts.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

So it's effectively a cascode?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Could you possibly digitally limit the amount of code change, essentially digitally slew limit? I have an idea for a deglitcher but it could only tolerate a half volt or so of voltage step.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yes, that's certainly possible, but the update rate might have to be juiced up.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yes, that's right. The cascode device is on-chip, though, so it works better.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's just the problem with DACs, on chip things get worse because the miniscule remnants of digital control pulses find their way into everything. Almost like spilled oil.

The best de-glitcher would be off chip and, most importantly, differential. Compensating charge injection via a "counter charge" is one of the tricks to muffle any newly induced spikes. I have always done it in discretes but maybe the ADG12xx series switches is good enough for Spehro's project.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Would they be useful for a digitally controlled power supply?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Rather than return them to their owners. That's not surprising.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

This thread reminds of a tube of serial DACs that were ship to us by mistake. We kept them for prosperity.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Sure, if you don't mind the occasional 10 PPM bump.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

ction

One clever idea is the so-called re-glitching technique used by National In= struments for the past 15 years or so. Less is more, no T/H is used. The id= ea there is to uniformize the glitch energy, or make it code independent, a= nd shift its spectrum to the sampling frequency where the so-called anti-im= aging LPF can eliminate it. This can't be done with code-dependent glitch e= nergy since quite a lot of it remains withing the signal band. See US564662=

0...guess it's still protected though.
Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred