Defining Sci.Electronics.Design on Wikipedia

Remember those paper encyclopedia's offered more than a decade ago? Sometimes people got a book/month. The whole series can be a few feet in length..

Well those books are really looking like crap now compared to Wiki.

Seems like everything is on Wikipedia

Porn Stars

Obscure body parts

Comics

Obscure TV shows

Architecture

Food

ok...not really food..

Cutting edge tech

Weirdass physics

Fluid Physics

Slang

Electro slang

Obscure mechanical parts

Sometimes on SED

Damn...what isn't on Wiki!!?

If I win the lottery I'll donate a good amount to Wiki.. :)

Aha! Type in sci.electronics.design in wiki and ....zip! Does this mean SED is not worthy of a Wiki definition?

Anybody have any good descriptions for SED on Wikipedia? :) (Ohhhh..that's wide open to some fun harshness..)

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Controlled accuracy checking for one thing.

Don't go overboard.

No, it just means you haven't opened an entry yet.

So "Real Soon Now" would be appropriate? (Let's face it, we're engineers...)

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

D from BC hath wroth:

Wikipedia and associated sites seem to have something against newsgroups.

About a year ago, John Navas and I put together an FAQ of sorts for alt.internet.wireless and posted it to Wikipedia. (John did 90% of the real work). He was told to move it to Wikibooks:

After a few weeks, one of the volunteer editors unilaterally and without notice deleted all out content and kicked us off Wikibooks. After an acrimonious and heated discussion, out contents were temporarily restored so we could copy and move it. We soon found space for it on Wikia:

About a month later, the Wiki server code was modified in some obscure manner, resulting in the web page working for IE6, but generating a dozen screen refreshes in Firefox before settling down.

Are you sure you really want something on Wikipedia for this newsgroup?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Sure.. sed doesn't need a long write up .

Example:

Wikipedia alt.binaries.science.electronics.design

A newsgroup 'mostly' with discussions on advanced electronics design. Group started ________.

That's all...Nothing fancy..

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Mostly harmless...

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

D from BC snipped-for-privacy@comic.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

So post it. You are eligible too.

Reply to
JosephKK

D from BC hath wroth:

That's what I said when we started the alt.internet.wireless FAQ. It's far more difficult keeping things small, than letting them grow. Originally, I had some idea that we were going to cover just the most common questions, so that we could point new users to the FAQ instead repetitious answers. For example, for sci.electronics.design, it would be nice to have boiler plate answers for:

  1. Where do I find the answer book for my texbook?
  2. Can you help me with my homework?
  3. My circuit won't work. I don't know what I'm doing. Please help.
  4. Why are there so many off topic threads and why do they go on forever?
  5. What's the best (and cheapest) analog oscilloscope, digital storage scope, logic analyzer, spectrum analyzer, etc?
  6. What's the best (free) circuit analysis, PCB layout, schematic capture, or simulation software?
  7. Where do I find (free) data sheets?
  8. Who stole or borrowed my scope probes?
  9. How many electrons can one put on the head of a pin?

I think you can see the problem. The list of common questions is quite extensive and will grow and grow and grow. I suggest you start the Wiki entry and invite everyone to contribute. The thankless taks of playing policeman is fairly easy, but time consuming. I suggest you enlist at least one accomplis and rotate the responsibility.

Well, if you just one one line answers, that's easy enough (and common enough in this newsgroup). However, methinks a detailed and accurate explanation might be more useful.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I'd leave it the hell out of Wiki - Heaven knows, we get more than enough homework googlies as it is.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I don't mind the homework q's.. Sometimes it's relevant to 'made for profit projects'. Sometimes it's an interesting homework question. Sometimes the homework questions are good refreshers. ..also good for spin off topics...cooking recipes..etc..

The homework questions can be annoying to some but you can still have fun with'm. I sometimes like to be cruel and answer the homework questions with one liners that only someone capable of answering the question themselves can understand. Or in other words, the question is answered but useless in the comprehension department.

Example: Q: Why do some resistors get hot? A: I^2R

The homework questions can be on a 'take-it-or-leave-it' basis depending on interest. I've seen on occasion that some posters will ask "Is this a homework question?" Keep in mind that answering non-homework questions may result in millions of dollars of profit. Students just get a degree or diploma.. :P

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Actually, the guy who did his homework for him should get the cert.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise