Death of Silicone Steel Transformers in Consumer Electronics?

Tech dies... CRT..dead. HD DVD ..dead. Floppy..dead. But is silicon steel transformers in consumer electronics...dead? Are block of steel wallwarts disappearing? Consider: My cellphone charger feels like an empty plastic box.

So... I wonder which branch of smps is dominant in consumer electronics? Resonant? Or, non-resonant?

What is powering LCD displays, audio amplifiers, phone chargers, laser printers and computers?

Going off the rails... :P

Class D + smps supply

Reply to
D from BC

D from BC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

flyback/PWM. non-resonant for really high powered stuff.(not necessarily consumer stuff) High-end home audio probably still uses iron-core,to eliminate switching noise.

the old TEK 7904/A,7844,7834,7704/A o'scopes all used series-resonant PS. newer TDS models use flyback supplies.

I opened up an old car cellphone charger,and there's just a 34061 PWM regulator chip circuit inside.

PC supplies are PWM flybacks. Probably the same for printers. LCD displays use a HF DC-DC inverter,with a tiny SMD inductor/xfmr.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

ooopss...correction Silicon D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Wow....Lots of flyback.. Out of the pile of textbook topologies, flyback sounds like the winner for consumer power supplies.

Was that flyback for the LCD display too?

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Its easier to filter 100 kHz switching noise out of high end audio than

60 Hz (plus harmonics caused by non-linearities in magnetics).

The LF magnetics will continue to be used in audio gear because that's the easiest way to make it heavier and give the audiophools a false sense of quality. Particularly since RoHS regs prohibit weighing it down with lead or spent U238.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

lol... That gives me an idea.. The concrete amplifier! Encapsulate a class D + smps in flooring cement. It's heavy. It's cheap...And it doesn't do anything..

"For that solid sound!" :) (Was that on the list? re:other thread)

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Well, if you *really* want a lot of weight in a small volume, just use osmium...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Ad continues: "...a REAL brick...".

Reply to
Robert Baer

Wasn't Ozzie Osmium the first "heavy metal" musician? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That is a mere feather when compared to Obmanium.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

FWIW, RoHS doesn't cover the use of U238.

Joking aside, it was only when SMPSes started to become widespread in lab gear that the local university realised that the transformers in linear supplies also served as an effective anti-theft mechanism.

I discovered this when I went to visit my friend, a lab technician there, to find him casting blocks of concrete with 4x M6 bolts protruding.

Reply to
Nobody

Even high end audio is consumer gear: instead of good mechanical design, the state of the art in car audio gear is done by measuring the output noise, then opening/refolding the internal wiring harness/retesting.

The assembly line monkeys are darned fast, and the engineers never have to redesign for shielding or cable crosstalk. They just have to make a fast go/no go test jig.

Reply to
whit3rd

EXCELLENT joke! Had me laughing like crazy. Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks! I seldom get any response to my jokes. )-; I never know if I'm just not funny or if people are ignoring me. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

People ignore you because your jokes aren't funny.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Ok...I thought that was funny.. :) Sorry Rich...

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

"Honey, do these pants make my ass look fat?"

1: "Hmmmmm .... no, I don't think it's the pants...." 2: (if you want to live) "Yes! They're horrible! Take those pants off IMMEDIATELY! I'll meet you upstairs to help you pick out a different pair."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's way less than half as crazy than you think. Add water heat removal circulating pumps for "liquid" highs.

Reply to
JosephKK

Well you can put in many grams of lead and still pass RoHS, provided the lead is mixed into 1000x its own weight of steel. However if you attach even a single 0201 component with a few milligrams non-RoHS solder, then it's illegal to sell it even though the weight of lead is hundreds of times less.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones