Death by 9V battery design challenge

It's about the same as a .50 BMG round (840 m/s, 52g) - that's about the same energy you'd need to accelerate a 3800 lb car to/from 10 mph.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

Joules per kg or per liter? I'll use by weight.

From the above tables: TNT = 4.6 MJ/kg Lilon = 0.6 MJ/kg So, if you ignore the weight of the casing, packaging, and user, TNT has 7.7 times the explosive power of a LiIon battery. Even if you could contain the explosive gasses of both for the same amount of time (because TNT releases its energy much faster than LiIon) TNT would still have more energy.

I'll take it. I'm getting bored with my Subaru. Its too reliable.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Not unless I got the math wrong.

Sure it'd make for an awesome explosion if

I didn't mean mass conversion (like Phil wants to do) but just using the electrical energy available, the 18 KJ.

Use the battery to charge some caps, and rail-gun it. Or use the battey to wind up a big spring, or compress some air, and then fire the dead battery off at a target.

And what do they do during the observation, if your heart stops?

Neat chart here, about halfway down:

Hmm, when they shocked me with one, they didn't keep me around for 24 hours, only three or so and that was because of the anesthetic.

Reply to
krw

Rinse, repeat?

Reply to
krw

Hi all,

Just wondered if it is possible to come up with a circuit which would enable a single PP3 9V battery such as this:

to function as the power source for a taser? I'm sure proprietary tasers are manufactured with far more suitable batteries than a PP3 and it wouldn't be hard to come up with a near- lethal/lethal design if a significantly higher capacity battery were permissible. But there's no challenge in that. This is just a bit of fun (remember when we had fun?). If you had to come up with a design concept for a taser-like weapon which HAD to run from a PP3, how would you go about it? Given that you would probably incorporate some sort of switcher, which topology and ancillary concepts would you choose to most efficiently convert the *very* limited amount of energy these cells contain into something that could kill or disable an assailant? I'm not looking for a specific circuit here; I'm not planning on building one; it's essentially just a thought experiment - a fun conceptual challenge - to establish if it could be done AT ALL with such limited power, and if so - how?

Your thoughts invited!

CD.

To kill someone it may be the simplest method would be to ram it down their throat ??

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

o.com:

uld

04-PP3-

r-

re

to come

from a

rporate

you

ergy

uilding

ted

one

0

n a hand

I did a little digging. I get ~690kJ (NIST) for a grenade with 164g of TNT-equivalent (the M26, the first I found), versus ~29kJ for a single

2.2AH 18650.

They must've meant a full laptop pack, or the chemical energy of burning the LiIon?

Any which way, all nasty things to set on fire.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Two year-old Nissan Leaves with 25k miles are ~$10K. I might get one if they went more than 70 miles on a charge.(*) A car without oil changes, gearbox, clutch, radiator... sounds pretty good.

Maybe I should get one and put a Honda generator in it. :-)

(*) I think it's 70 miles, but the "Charging & Range" page doesn't give the range.

P.S. An 80kW electric motor is grossly over-powered, IMHO. Gimme half that and a lighter, cheaper car with better range.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Did your heart stop?

I was clinically dead for about a minute in late March. Luckily my wife had a CPR refresher course just three weeks before my crash.

Figuring 1.3V * 105mAH, an LR44 button cell has 490J, about the same as a

9mm round on that chart!

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

About 40 years ago, when I was in a group designing and producing defibrillators, we aimed at 400 J maximum, 3 kV pulse to a 50 ohm load. There was quite an array of big Rifa electrolytics and a hefty pulse transformer, together with a hefty contactor and a big SCR to time the pulse.

--

-TV
Reply to

That's about 100 HP which I think is ok, but only 50 HP? That would make it hard to get on the highway. Maybe these cars are a lot lighter than the Sentra I sometimes drive. Also an electric engine produces max torque at rest so maybe a lower number will produce more effective acceleration.

Reading up on the charging I realize that for any trip that requires recharging on the way, the travel time is as much a charging factor as it is a car speed issue. You can drive at least 55 MPH on all US highways (not accounting for traffic) but you can only charge at a rate of 20 MPH. Just to drive between my two homes would require a 3-4 hour layover at the halfway point. Feasible, but not really practical. The business trip I take periodically would require a 3 hour charge before I could head home.

The European unit tested at 120 mile range by their standards. I wonder why it is so much different. That would almost get me there on my two normal trips. Of course, heating and cooling the car sucks juice as well. I wonder if they use a heat pump.

--

Rick
Reply to

Sense any supernatural NDE?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It's really very easy, but I'm not going to sit here and tell god knows who how to make weapons and torture devices.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I applaud you for that.

Do you have any ideas as to how to erase all the help posted so far and stop any further posts on the subject?

Reply to
John S

50 HP electrical and 50 HP ICE are two different animals. But yes, that's what I'd go for (or even 30 HP) in an ultralight shell. I don't believe in driving tanks for safety (personal choice), but in just driving more safely.
120 _km_.

(120 miles' range would make a world of difference compared to 70 miles.)

When I was playing with the idea of getting a Leaf, I figured out you could pave the thing with about a kW of PV panels, which charges at the rate of about 3 MPH (in full sun). :-)

Actually, a velomobile--

with a 200 W electric motor would be nearly ideal for most of my errands. Blanketed with PV it could run continuously on sunshine, and store power too.

If these were different times, I'd probably be making one.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I don't think anything posted so far would help anyone actually make anything, and much that has been posted that would lead them astray.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

In that case, I can relax and take a nap now. Thanks.

Reply to
John S