Data Logging 8846A (Fluke 45) on Linux

Anyone ever come across a data logging app, like the FlukeView Forms, for Linux? It needs MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components), so Wine looks like it will not work.

Thanks Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

You cannot be all that Linux centric if you still think that wine is a solution (or should be or ever was).

There are Windows centric distros out there meant to run only windows apps.

I cannot imagine that there are no serial data logging apps out there written for it that do not require the WinLosePonents requisite.

Make blue tooth device and pipe it to your phone, then...

Write "An app for that..."

Reply to
SoothSayer

Well, that looks like it may be the only solution at this point, 'Write an App for it' Luckily Qt has a graph widget, so it may not be time consuming.

Martin Riddle

After some experimentation, using 'WineTricks' to install JET 4.0 and MDAC. Wine allowed me to install FlukeView. But there still seems to be a database problem and a chart graphics problem. I'll have to find some tools to check if MDAC is operational.

Martin Riddle

Why not run a real copy of Windows in Virtualbox? You can set it up to have shared access to part of the Linux filesystem for easy data sharing.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Why not run a real copy of Windows in Virtualbox? You can set it up to have shared access to part of the Linux filesystem for easy data sharing.

John

This is an experiment in just using Linux. I'm not sure if the box can run a VM since there is only 500meg of memory.

Martin Riddle

That is the most sensible route. In my experience Wine is not working if Wine wasn't tweaked for the specific application.

Memory is cheap these days. Just add more.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

It's an old box with SDram, it's maxed out. Ubuntu works well on it, but the VM is slow as a snail.

I have a Win7 machine that will run the Fluke stuff. But it would be great to get the MS Access ODBC running. Partially there, I now get an error relating to sort order when creating a mdb file. This I can sort out on my home box. I see some have gotten it to work under Wine, so there must be something I fudged while setting it up.

Martin Riddle

I managed to get Orcad -more or less- working under Wine. It also needs the ODBC. IIRC you can download these from Microsoft. There is a FAQ on these subjects. But I strongly recommend not to invest any time in Wine. Just get a better computer and use a VM.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

A quick Google on the topic brings up a sample VB app to read/store Fluke 45 data:

Here's some more info:

It should be pretty simple to roll your own app with whatever language you have available on your Linux box that can open a serial port and send/receive ASCII. If you are up to that task, that is.

IEEE-488 should be do-able as well, assuming you have the hardware and drivers installed on your system for that bus.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I agree, the last hail Mary yielded the same results. Must be something missing. I did get MDAC functioning, and data out of the sample databases. (I must have munged something in Wine on the first pass), but Flukeview generates a 'Could not read data' error and hangs right after displaying the data and graph. When I have time I'll use processmon and see what other dll's are required to run it.

Martin Riddle