Damnit, Joerg.. :)

You recommending pizza on the grill so highly, I tried it today. Works fine, except the bottom is burnt to blackness!

At least it's salvageable after scraping it off...

I guess the lesson is, thin crust only. I usually make normal crust (take a blob of soft, risen dough, smoosh it out, add toppings), which takes the better part of an hour in the oven.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature

Thin crust at 500F will take 10 minutes.

 Click to see the full signature

You could try cooking it on a pizza stone.

Some people *like* "burnt" -- anything. Personally, I'd rather taste the ingredients than their charred remains!

Add some corn meal to the crust -- distinctive flavor and tends to make it less "poofy" (that't a technical term :> ) Also, (most) cheese on the bottom with just a decorative layer on the top (to protect the other ingredients from the heat of the fire). Fry up mushrooms *before* placing on the pizza (else they perspire too much and make a soggy mess)

A friend has a wood fired oven in his back yard. Makes a pizza in about a minute and a half (I think it's like 800F in there -- maybe more!). Of course, totally useless for anything other than *parties* ("Honey, I'll go stoke the oven -- we can have dinner in about 3 hours...")

Reply to
Don Y

+1 for the pizza stone

Martin Riddle

Yep. We do Lavosh on a pizza stone. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

If you own a peel, suggest letting the stone sit "empty" on the heat for a while *before* placing the pie on it! Gives the bottom a much crisper finish.

Reply to
Don Y

That's what electronic engineers do when their pizza oven is full of pcb's. ;-)

--
Gruss
Mark

Well I have been doing relatively a lot of assembly lately, but... >.>

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

That's not long. BBQ can take eight or ten hours.

Reply to
krw

Did you have a nice thick steel plate underneath? Should be 0.100 or so.

Coincidentaly that happened to me yesterday as well, even though I did it probably 50 times now. We got firewood, stacked it and since we ran late I fired up the grill, using mostly Manzanita pieces from our pruning pile. Let them burn down to coals but they must have been super hot. First we baked a bread, the real stuff with the dough made fresh from a multi-grain mix from Germany. In the usual 35mins it turned black on the bottom surface but could be scraped. Figuring that the coals must be weaker by then we put on the pizza afterwards and set the timer to

17min instead of the usual 21min. Came out a tad too dark as well but tasted great. So I learned my lesson to use less firewood next time and maybe not Manzanita.

We use normal crust as well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Or about 5-6 beers :-)

When I semi-retire I want to do some smoking again. The old Brinkmann smoker rusted out but it should be possible to do that in a Weber kettle. One can prepare almost any meal in there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You're a really slow drinker. ;-)

We're debating whether to get an electric smoker or go for a Green Egg. The electric smoker would be simpler to control (particularly if you don't use it often) but I've been told that you can't beat the Green Egg. The GE is about 4x the price. Though if I thought we'd get much use out of it, cost isn't a problem.

The other problem is where to put the smoker. An electric could go on our deck but anything with charcoal would have to go in the back yard. The only access to the back yard is the basement or all the way around the house so it would make it even less likely to be used. Decisions, decisions.

Reply to
krw

[...]

I'd always go for wood/charcoal. Being a safety freak I never use any of this on our deck. Since the backyard can only be accessed via deck stairs or a downstairs room I have the barbie in the driveway. Makes things very easy even if I am barbecueing while completing some work. It takes only 20sec to check up on stuff. Plus guests can take a sniff and a peek the minute they arrive. The guys usually hang out around the barbecue, discussing solutions to all the political problems of the world, beer in hand. One of the most important tools when barbecueing is the bottle opener.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You don't have a oven in your kitchen? That's essentially what an electric smoker is. I'm not worried about using the gas grill on the deck (or the stove top in the kitchen ;-).

I don't want to store the grill in the garage. There's enough in there now. The two cars, lawn tractor, and sundry other tools are enough. I could build a shed in the back yard or, better, cover the underside of the deck. But as I mentioned, I don't think it'll get used if I do that.

At one time we had a pool, so a pool party was pretty much a given, every weekend during summer. Much beer was downed then. I don't drink beer (or anything else alcoholic) any more. My cardiologist told me that I could (maybe even should) have one a day, though. I can always use that as an excuse. "I'm only a week ahead!"

Reply to
krw

Neither of those will result in the nice wood-fire flavor. Using little Mesquite or Hickory chips helps but it just ain't the same thing.

Our old Weber just sits outside. That's where it lives. All I have to do roll it into the middle of the driveway (for safety) to start a fire in it.

I've never needed a cardiologist so far (except for R&D work in medical device electronics) but if I ever do I want your guy! :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

How much of that is the placebo effect?

I'd have to roll it around the house. Our yard is about as smooth as the Grand Canyon, so that's no small bit of effort.

He's good (does caths through the wrist) and a great guy. My surgeon is good, too, but I don't think I'd have a beer with him.

Reply to
krw

That effect is quite strong. You'd almost have to eat a pound of mint chocolates right before biting into the meat in order not to notice.

Same here, no way to roll a barbie around the house. Therefore, one of the Webers lives in the driveway and the other in the backyard. Only for a large number of guests do we have to carry one around and then I sometimes strap in onto the hand truck. I've even carried it down the street that way when neighbors asked me to do the berbecueing and they only had a gas grill.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What's the difference. The smoked flavor comes from the *smoking* wood. Both use the same flavoring wood. I believe the difference between charcoal and gas for grilling because charcoal gets much hotter. That's an irrelevant difference for BBQ.

Our HOA isn't very sticky but that's the one thing they'd have a cow over.

Reply to
krw

I'm not so worried about the smoke flavor as my shrimp recipe has so much going on you'd never notice the smoke. But the fire of charcoal is so much hotter with radiant heat than a gas grill can be. I have cooked some good batches over gas, but it has to be turned up full blast and I still don't care for the finish on the shrimp. I like them to be totally dry and even a touch singed without being over cooked.

--

Rick
Reply to

If you never tried this on a wood fired grill (not charcoal but wood) you can't know the difference. This is one reason our neighbar cooks his tri-tip exclusively over cherry wood. He never uses charcoal for that and definitely not gas.

That is one of the many reasons why I told our realtor to only consider homes where there is no HOA. Maybe this will change as we age but I dislike the curtailment of personal freedom that comes with a HOA. I also absolutely abhor gated communities, don't want to live in one.