Damn, burned out my 100-watt 50-ohm resistor!

I had a similar thing with two parallel groups of 1 kohm 2 Watt carbon composition resistors. There was 40 resistors in a group, and two groups in series. I used brass sheet instead of FR4.

--

-Tauno Voipio (OH2UG)
Reply to

Yep. It was an 8 x 5 array spaced far enough apart to allow good air flow. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I housed mine in a bean can (Heinz). Carefully removed the label, topped up with oil, soldered the lid back on and replaced the label. Dead flat VSWR up to about 7Mhz. This was immediately before I learned the importance of minimal lead length. :-/

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You used the wrong bean can, should have been Bush's ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The only 50ohm resistor I had that could really withstand power was the one I built myself. Specially shaped copper structures to keep it a real

50ohms even at hundreds of MHz, lots of 2W resistors, then the whole thing submerged in tractor oil. It lasted 30+ years and had to take the occasional kilowatt. A few years ago I had to scrap it because the bucket it was house in (a huge metal honey bucket from a bee keeper) began rusting out and leaking.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to