DAC buffer with negative VOUT in shutdown state

Hi,

TL;DR: a precision linear MOSFET pre-driver capable of putting negative voltage on the gate in order to shut the current flow down. Quickly and hard to eliminate spurious noise-induced turn-ons.

Detailed:

I have a precision unbuffered 16-bit DAC that outputs 0--4.095V. The analog subsystem uses +12/-5V supplies in order to place the opamps (OPA4192) well within the linear region. Now I would like to buffer the VDAC voltage, but also augment the buffer with the ability to output some negative VNEG voltage in shutdown state. The closer VNEG is to the VEE rail the better, but the exact value is unimportant. I can see 3 possible scenarios based on a DG419 SPDT switch:

  1. Create a follower and add the mux to the input, switching between VDAC and VEE. But this can add noise/nonlinearities to the precision path.

  1. As above, but put the mux at the follower's output. This would add me ~30 Ohms to the output impedance.

  2. Connect the DAC directly to the +input of the opamp and put the switch between the output and the -input and VCC. In one position the mux would make the opamp act as a follower, in the other the inverting input's voltage would be much higher than the non-inverting one, so the open loop gain would make the output saturate somewhere close to VEE.

Other requirements and don't cares:

- the switching frequency between the DAC voltage (VDAC) and the negative output voltage (VNEG) is negligible (

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Why not simply have resistor between DAC and follower and transistor switch between follower input and -vee. Size resistor low enough for speed and high enough to keep current load on DAC output below Abs-max when switch is on?

piglet

Reply to
Piglet

I didn't want to distort the precision path by introducing a voltage divider (the resistor + the transistor's leakage current). The risk of DAC destruction/latchup caused by pulling its output below GND is perhaps also non-negligible.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Why not put the spdt switch between the 5V DAC and the op-amp input? CMOS switches work properly up to a diode drop (usually spec'd 0.3 volts) beyond their supply rails, would -0.3 volts be enough? Also, some low-voltage switches have Vee pins, and can switch up to +/-5 volts.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

This is the proposal #1 on my list.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Good, that would be my vote.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Mux before the follower?

lunatic fringe electronics

Option 1, the most obvious solution. But will it be good for a precision application?

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Aside from adding a little capacitance, a cmos analog mux will add way-sub-microvolt offset and picoamps of leakage.

lunatic fringe electronics

How about an opamp with an output enable or shutdown? Add a resistor from its output to VEE.

Reply to
krw