Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Anyone have experience in accurately cutting 1/8" thick acrylic Plexiglas (Perspex) for LED displays?

I need to make filters for some panel meters of my own design, but am having trouble finding off-the-shelf bezels and filters of the sizes I need. Before everyone tells me that there are cheap Chinese panel meters available on the web, I already know about them. My meters are for a unique application and the available digital panel meters can't be modified to fill my needs. The display is the really unique part, and I need to make my own filters for the displays. I need 3 different sizes; 1.25" x 2.5". 2.75" x 5" and 4" x 5".

I've thought about using a table saw with a cabinet-grade finishing blade. That's possible, but somewhat dangerous due to the small size of the filters. Also thought about hot wire cutting. That's quite possible, relatively safe (just have to keep fingers off the hot wire). Might be hard to keep the wire taut enough to make straight cuts, and guiding the plastic through the wire or the wire through the plastic. Also thought about cutting on a drill press or milling machine. Again, a bit dangerous due to the small size of the work. Clamping would be tricky.

Any suggestions as to a good, safe approach to cutting the plastic?

Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

"For thicker sheets of plexiglass, cut with a power saw?be it a circular saw, saber saw, or table saw. (To cut anything but a straight line, opt for a jigsaw.) No matter which type of saw you choose for the task, it?s critically important to use the right blade. There are special blades designed expressly for acrylic, but any metal-cutting blade with carbide tips can do the trick. Before committing to one blade or another, double-check that its teeth are evenly spaced, with no rake, and of uniform height and shape."

For the size you're talking about, I'd think that a table-type sabresaw or jigsaw (with a fence) would be what you'd want.

For a fancier approach - the MightyOhm geiger counter kit can be purchased with a two-piece acrylic case, the upper sheet of which has some custom cut-outs made for the tube and the batteries. Their web page says that it's "laser cut". Maker shops may have suitable laser-cutters for their members to use, and there are service companies which will laser-cut-to-size in your choise of acrylic types.

Reply to
Dave Platt

[snip]

Is there a makerspace near you with a laser cutter, or a laser cutting company?

Water jet cutting?

Reply to
Randy Day

Den torsdag den 31. august 2017 kl. 00.57.17 UTC+2 skrev Dave M:

a table saw will be fine, use the fence and a push stick to cut strips, use a sled to cut to length

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I've contacted four Ebay sellers of Plexiglas panels, asking if they can cut to my dimensions. Although they all advertise that they can cut to custom sizes, all but one of them say that they can't cut that small due to "liability insurance restrictions", whatever that might be. The other quoted an unbelievably high price for a small order of 25 pieces. That's why I'm looking to do it myself.

I looked at the Geiger Counter kit and didn't see any reference to any plexiglas except for a clear panel covering the front of the unit, clearly not what I'm after. At any rate, I'm not going to buy several $100 Geiger Counter kits for which I have no use just to get $15 worth of plastic.

Yes, the finishing blade that I mentioned is a zero-rake blade, so that't not a problem. Just concerned about my fingers when they get close to the blade spinning at 3200 RPM. I'm leaning toward building a hot wire cutter into a frame that will keep the wire taut enough to make a straight cut through the plastic. Maybe mount it alongside the fence on my tablesaw. That should keep everything nice & straight.

Thanks, Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

Don't know about a makerspace. Never heard of them. Have to see what Google churns up.

Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

re

cut

I'd first ask my local plastic guy. (If you need ~25 or more.) For a few I'd use a band saw, with a jig to hold the plastic. (Rough cut on band saw and sand to fit.) thinner you might use a blade to cut it.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I only need three of each size, so not a large order by any stretch. I'll get a small piece of Plexiglas from Home Depot and see how well it cuts on my table saw. Maybe my fears are unfounded, but my brother has lost one and a half fingers and a bifurcated knee cap due to saw blades, so I'm a bit apprehensive around them.

Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

That should be no problem on a table saw. Make sure to use a zero clearance insert. Cut into the short-side sized strips with a fence than chop those up with a miter gauge with a stop. Perfectly safe.

Your first thought should work just fine as long as you take reasonable care.

Reply to
krw

Polycarb is a bit easier to cut. Acrylic melts and gums up blades easier.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Make use of that. Pick a blade that's small enough to keep the edge molten. Better still use an abrasive edge then the risks of cracking & throwing are gone.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

re

cut

just make a sled and use the tablesaw,

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yeah I hate table saws! I'm not putting my fingers within an inch or five of the blade. No band saw? I might choose my fine toothed wood cutting rip saw, hand operated.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I have scored and snapped Plexiglas. You would need to mount it firmly so that the corners don't break. A small fixture (plywood) to sandwich the piece should work fine.

Martin Riddle

I've had a lot of trouble cutting acrylic on a table saw, or drilling. The problem has been chipping on the back side. I haven't tried backing it with a piece of wood - that should help.

What does work very well for giving a nice edge is a router. Not very convenient for cutting into pieces, but nice for cutting shapes to a template, or for finishing edges that have been cut with too much chipping.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

If you're putting your fingers anywhere near the blade, you're doing something wrong. Learn how to use the tool.

Reply to
krw

harms way. Do a search for "woodworking small parts sled" for an assortment of photos and plans. Use the tablesaw to just score the plastic. Don't cut all the way through. Snap on the score lines and file off any rough edges. A propane torch will polish the edges to a glass like finish. Practice on a scrap first as it's easy to burn the edge. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Variable speed dremel with a cutoff wheel will work.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

When a hardware store cuts plexiglass for a storm door or window, they put the sheet in a glass cutting frame. That is nothing more than a rack with a straight edge and a lever to apply pressure against the part you want cut. Then they use a special cutter made for plexiglass, which is really just a sharp blade. They score it with that cutter from top to bottom. Then they use that lever to apply pressure and SNAP, they make a nice clean cut.

I was in a place where I had to cut some myself. I did not have that special cutter or a rack. I marked it with a sharpie. Then I took a straight piece of aluminum, laid it on my mark, and scored it with a utility knife with a new blade. Once it was scored, I placed the scored line along the edge of a board and applied pressure with my hand. That worked fine.

One thing I learned, never try to drill plexiglass. You will end up with small cracks around the hole. I once wanted to put some hinges onto plexiglass and learned the hard way about the cracks. Then I used a soldering iron and melted holes. It was kind of messy, sicne the melted plastic builds up around the hole and needs to be quickly removed while it's still hot and soft, but that did work in the end. (The soldering iron tip was pretty much trash though, I ssaved it for future plexiglass holes, but would never try to solder with it).

Reply to
oldschool