Cut slot in metal enclosure door for ribbon keypad ?

Yes. Lube everywhere: Threads, cutting surfaces, etc.., and the washers when we were forced to jump to the unused threads.

Helped tremendously, but not enough.

Reply to
mpm

The same bolt just needs to get a threaded fitting to fit the puller; I"m not envisioning an hydraulic press, but a (hollow-cylinder or double-acting) hydraulic puller ( Like this (but probably you don't need 13.8 tons...smaller and cheaper would do)

Reply to
whit3rd

I"m not envisioning

ller

uld do)

Update #2. The original pull bolt is shot. I doubt we'd get one more cabinet cut. Last week, we picked up a 12-ton Harbor Fright hydraulic press and tried it out. Works fine. We're just pressing the two halves of the die cutter together and the bolt is now simply used for alignment (not under tension or compres sion).

However, (ideally?, I think?) we want maximum contact with the top part of the die (the bottom half is butted up next to the hydraulic press' plates, and we squish from above.) I know, technical terms.., but I'm an electron ics engineering not a machinist. Sue me.

On the ONE cabinet we tested, we used a socket to clear the bolt head on th e die assembly. Yes, we probably could have just pressed on the bolt head only, but wouldn't it be a lot better to spread out the force along more of the die's top surface?

Assuming it is (?), I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time explaining away an y accidents that might happen if the socket were to split explosively and e xit the press with enough force and/or velocity to hurt someone !!!

So, what I think I want is a short, very thick-wall steel cylinder that I c an just slip over the pull bolt head, and let this be the "interface" betwe en the top of the die and the business end of the press.

What is this thing called, and where can we get one? I got to believe this is done all the time. In other words, I want to pres s something, that has a bolt head sticking out of it. Safely.

BTW: The Omega Engineering die is not showing any signs of wear. It's just the bolt is crap for 16-ga mild steel. It wears very quickly. But as far as sandwiching the cabinet door (16 ga) between the two die sect ions and forcing them together externally using a 12-ton hydraulic press -- works perfectly. The press cost about $125, and we assembled it in under a half hour.

We have 15 more cabinets to do (new order). And after these, the manufacturer will cut the hole for us, so problem solv ed.

Reply to
mpm

It's usually called 'tooling'; every machine shop keeps a selection of scraps to be turned into such. Heavy socket (like, for impact wrenches) is one field-expedient way to do it, or maybe a stack of BIG washers could be found and cemented together.

Probably you can keep on using the socket, remember the stored spring energy is 1/2 k*x^2 but the force is k*x ; that 12-ton hydraulic apparatus stores VERY little energy at a mere one-ton force, and other parts aren't springy either. Even the hydraulic fluid is nearly incompressible, so as to store minimal eergy. If it breaks, it's more likely to 'click' than ''BANG'.

Reply to
whit3rd