custom transformers from China

There are custom transformer companies in China, with their pages on AliExpress, seeking orders for making custom transformers. Pick from their standard frame types and sizes, fill out a form, maybe get a quote first, or not, place an order.

Some seem very experienced, highly-skilled and competent, such as Ranlo.

Has anyone had experience doing such a thing? In the old days I ordered custom transformers from companies near by, I could go talk with them, but they've mostly all dissapeared.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Winfield Hill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

Just be sure to spec the winding to winding isolation requisite. After that, it is up to the engineer to get the volts per turn right and other characteristics of his or her particular application.

Vacuum impregnation does not always take care of some of those.

But yeah... these are folks that likely spin them up 24/7/365 for years. Way more experienced than me and I did it for a while (miniature, hf, ferrite core stuff).

I even had one design with six 300 turn each secondary segments that was about as big as the top 6mm of a pack of cigarettes. Had to carefully place the turns on each of those 300 turn segments, which were only about 3mm wide each. I think it was #43 wire. So fragile.

After the multiplier though we made 15kV from a 9V battery down to when the thing is barely making 7 volts. on the input side.

It also shut off at about 11uA (human contact specs).

The main efficiency component of the entire supply was the 10mm diameter 5 turn inductor feeding the main oscillator. It halted any hard starts and made the Zetex purr. It was a really nice supply and about 6 of them would fit into a cig pack. It had a little 25 x 25 x

8 mm potting box over the multiplier section.

I spent two years developing several customer spec changes and iterations. Then I think they dumped us, planning to have a chinese maker build our design.

Because they wanted them for 6 bucks each. Nice try.

And then I think they never made the product they were supposed to go into.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

They do that, right?

Thanks for the stories and advice.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Do they do toroids? I need a big power toroid.

Reply to
jlarkin

No, just checked, looks like HF ferrites.

Reply to
jlarkin

They show pictures of toroids for sale, and I think they only sell stuff they make themselves.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

This is my preferred supplier for > 25 years:

UL, CSA, CE etc marking (_real_, tested). Good support, they compute everything according your spec. Almost standard price for 25+ custom pieces.

Arie de Muijnck

Reply to
Arie de Muynck

We have been using Chinese manufacturers of small-ish auxiliary power supply transformers for many years and they are great so far. We usually need ones that can legally place a UR mark on them though for use in our listed products. Usually we will use our Chinese connection for stuff like that but have used ICE Components for example.

Used to have these made near by too in the 1970s til mid 1990s.

Had large-ish 3,4,5 kW 60Hz transformers made in Thailand and shipped in our aluminum castings which worked well. Shipping was by volume and not weight.

A lot of the US manufacturers build in China and other countries these days like Triad I think.

Large-ish inductors we build ourselves because there hasn't seemed to be a cost benefit lately.

Reply to
boB

Bob mentioned Triad, They to power Toriods, including Medical BTW.

Martin Riddle

Unfortunately Win, your president has "...hereby ordered..." you to "...immediately start looking for an alternative to China...", so you're gonna have to get winding.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Or get a president with a bit more sense.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Due to the unpredictable US president, for more than two years, I have tried to avoid US made components or subsystems due to the political risks involved with the trade with the USA.

I would not at all be surprised, if he next week decides ban deliver of certain products to Europe :-).

Reply to
upsidedown

I was delighted to discover standard transformers, with part numbers, for 400V to 230V. Ideal for going from your PFC bulk capacitor to various HV supply voltages (compare to everybody else going only to 48V or lower). But I was disappointed to see no further info available: package, price, etc.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I worry that he's beginning to get a real taste for this "hereby I order ..." thing.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

They do have a web-outlet

An example with with pricing:

They are very friendly when asked for info, pricing, etc.

Arie

Reply to
Arie de Muynck

These days children suffering from ADHD will get a proper diagnosis and treatment.

Unfortunately in the last century this was not the case.

Reply to
upsidedown

For some reason, India seems good at magnetics too.

He is doing international diplomacy the way he did Manhattan real estate.

That went well. A spectacular string of giant bankruptcies, after which nobody would lend money to any of his projects and he had to pretend to be a businessman on "The Apprentice".

Maybe we can look forward to a version of that for young politicians in a year or two.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to